Have you ever dealt with an oil filter so tight that even hammer and screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tightest ones I've dealt with were always on diesel pickups. Worst ones I've had were a Duramax filter and the one on my very own 7.3 Powerstroke, actually threw my back out getting that one loose if that says anything!

In high school my buddies and I did our first DIY oil change on my ‘89 Suburban. We didn't know any better, so we used the filter wrench to tighten the filter as tight as we could. Next oil change, couldn't get the darn thing off. Stuck a screwdriver through the middle of it to try and twist off - no dice. It tore through the can as I twisted. Had to use a chisel and slowly tap it lose - what was left of it anyway.

My buddies dad said "Yeah you only need to tighten it hand tight" - ooops.
33.gif

Funny I just removed a filter the GM dealership "tech" tighten it so tight I had to completely crush it to take it off. I should tighten his head with equal pressure. There is no reason to tighten a oil filter like that hand tight and I haven't lost a filter.

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
Had a 2018 Silverado 3500 dually Duramax deisel come in the shop yesterday. Not sure where he went before, but the guy in the pit couldn't get the oil filter loose. I went downstairs to help him. I weigh 243lbs, had a band wrench around the filter, my feet braced on the filter rack, and my back against the other side of the pit pulling with everything I had. It actually took a couple minutes and crushing the canister in the process to get that sucker loose! I didn't know they made impact gun filter cups!!

L8R,
Matt

This must be GM's new SOP.

Back in the mid 90's I was dong an oil change on a 3.0 v6 nissan that had last been serveiced at the dealer at 60K. Filter was on so tight I wound up kicking a chair so hard in frustration, I likely broke somethng, and have grew a bunyon on only that foot soon after.

I bought one of those end cap grippers that grasp tighter when loosening, but it was slightly too big a diameter. I hammered a metal razor blade holder around one side of it and covered it with friction tape. Still have it somewhere, though I have never needed it again.

Sounds like my filter was not on nearly as tight as some in this thread.

I use XG8a size filters, the gasket fits nearly perfectly around spray cans. I use them to hold the red extension straws to the can bodies, and slightly modified ADBV's are recycled to keep my oil cap on valve cover from leaking.

Always the same story. Oil filters and drain plugs being on too tight. As with everything OEM, there actually is a torque spec. I can't believe that when something is on that tight, it was installed to torque spec.

I keep an oil change kit. Which means that I have a zip lock bag, with only the tools I need to change oil. This is kept separate, so that I have everything needed in one place, and ready to go. Oil filter wrench. Magnetic drain plug socket. Ratchet handle. Drain plug washer.

My oil change kit has an extendable ratchet. Fully extended, it gives me the leverage of a breaker bar. Harbor freight sells this. Sears sells this. Performance Tool. PowerBuilt. Husky. They're all over the place.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've dealt with some insanely tight filters before, but nothing that a proper socket attachment or oil filter pliers couldn't eventually handle. I remember one of the worst ones I dealt with I had to completely crush the can with the pliers to eventually get it to turn without just taking the paint off.

Encountered it many times over the years, but always on cars where the filter was fitted by the PO or his gorilla.
Only one had me slightly perplexed and that was because it just wouldn't go, even after banging the pointed screwdriver through it and giving it a heave. It was getting so mangled there would shortly be nothing left to get a purchase on, but by dint of threading the chisel end of a wrecking bar down through the back of the engine and whacking the edge plate with a BFH up top, it finally started to yield to my tender ministrations. Every other tough-to-get one always moved long before that.
Some owners have no idea, and I recall one or two who revealed they twist the filter on as hard as they can, little realising what trouble they're storing up for themselves. Of course, by the time the filter next needs changed, they've probably sold the car on, or just never bother looking at the filter again.

Originally Posted by ThirdeYe
I had to completely crush the can with the pliers to eventually get it to turn

Squeeze the pliers so tight that the teeth ripped into the canister? Yuuup.

When I bought my '81 Tercel, the first time I removed the oil filter I ended up using a pipe wrench. Luckily, this car has plenty of empty space in the engine bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back