new home dispute questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would get the cash and get the granite installed by my own contractor, so its done right. You don't want the builder slapping some slab in there. Granite will cost more later, and will increase the value and resale.

Get the cash, don't let the builder install the granite now, it will be a slap it in rush job. Take your time and pick out your own granite with a separate company. Granite on an average kitchen is around 4 grand.

I'd ask for 6500 and hope to get 5k.

Originally Posted by eljefino
And if they were such good craftsman that it could fit there, they wouldn't be shysters.
You would think that, but there are plenty of boomers who went on a few too many vacations and/or bought too many new cars to retire when they wanted to.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Thanks, we don't need the granite, honestly I'd rather have 5k in my pocket etc.

My wife and I agreed that we did not want them ripping out AC or counters, we will only accept cash.

2 TON unit, 1440 3/2 home. Technically its called a detached condo because of the small lot, but it is a single family house.

My realtor broker is working with the inspector to get it all on paper and make the request to the builder.

I think you're on the right track. When I replaced my HVAC, the upgrade to 16 SEER was about $1k and I found a spreadsheet online and It was going to take 6-7 years to break even on that $1k. Not worth it in my mind, probably won't be in this house much longer.

Put granite in, I've chipped it around the sink and dishwasher from banging pots and things into the corners.

I'd get three estimates as to what HVAC should actually be in the house and make sure the correct size is in there regardless of what was promised vs what was installed. If the currently installed unit is actually correct then you are due the difference in the cost. If not, and the initially agreed upon size is correct, have it replaced with what was agreed too as an improperly sized unit is not something you can live with.
The counter tops are indeed a big deal. Measure up your linear feet of counter top and get an estimate of having what you want installed and with this figure get this amount of money off, IF you can stand to live with the laminate.
Additionally measure the rooms to make sure they are correctly sized to the plans you signed off on. Believe it or not in my capacity as the Fire Marshal of my City Fire Department i went and did the occupancy inspection of a newly built fire station before my firefighters moved in. I found that the contractor had made an 8' mistake in the length of the Apparatus Bay (where the fire trucks are parked) because i guess they looked at the plans upside down. Instead of a 4' kick out which would have made the apparatus bay 4' longer than the living quarters was instead 4' shorter than the living quarters. This was a major mistake as the depth of the bays as built was too short for the HazMat rig that was planned to be moved to the new station from the crowded station it was being stored in. This HazMat rig was supposed to be parked behind a Reserve Fire Engine but couldn't be done. Now this was just not a 8' mistake, this was a 8' x 40' mistake lol. Needless to say the City Attorney got involved. Oh and the updraft hood over the huge gas stove built into an island was not vented correctly.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Thanks, we don't need the granite, honestly I'd rather have 5k in my pocket etc.

My wife and I agreed that we did not want them ripping out AC or counters, we will only accept cash.

2 TON unit, 1440 3/2 home. Technically its called a detached condo because of the small lot, but it is a single family house.

My realtor broker is working with the inspector to get it all on paper and make the request to the builder.

If you didn't need granite, then why did you order it? Why did you order anything more than you needed? Is this your first new build?

IMO, it behooves you to let them fix any errors presented. If they concede to NOT fixing it for any amount, then I would think you're being screwed even more!

Originally Posted by Leo99
Every day you're going to look at the laminate and wish you had granite. Why don't you want them to make it right and install the granite?

Personally...I'd rather have laminate!

Originally Posted by gathermewool

If you didn't need granite, then why did you order it? Why did you order anything more than you needed? Is this your first new build?

Need and want are 2 very separate things. No one really needs a nice granite counter top because a laminate one does the same exact job just fine. But I'd rather have the nice granite counter.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by eljefino
And if they were such good craftsman that it could fit there, they wouldn't be shysters.
You would think that, but there are plenty of boomers who went on a few too many vacations and/or bought too many new cars to retire when they wanted to.

More drivel from the child max.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Leo99
Every day you're going to look at the laminate and wish you had granite. Why don't you want them to make it right and install the granite?

Personally...I'd rather have laminate!

I would rather have laminate too. My house has white laminate in the kitchen, it was built in 1967/8, and it is still original. My grandparents bought it brand new and it is mine now.

I could see wanting granite on a new build for higher resale value later. If it were me I would insist on the larger AC unit and pocket the money for the granite.

A lot of people are talking about the size of the AC. If I understand the OP, it's not the size that's in dispute, but rather the efficiency (SEER).

OP may not be in a position to walk. When we moved into our new house a year ago the timing of the closing of our sold home and the new house was within days, no turning back.

Unless the kitchen is small $3-4K for granite in the kitchen and 2 baths sounds pretty low. Don't cheat yourself.

I am in the process of saving for new countertops, I got three quotes last year for my small kitchen (all ranging in the $4-6K range with no island). I think taking cash is a big big mistake. Get the correct AC and counters installed now and enjoy them for the next 10-15 years easy. Take cash now and in 2 years when you hate your counters you will pay double to have it installed after-the-fact.

Don't take ANY money. Make them install the better AC system and granite counter tops.

If you do take money, YOU hold all the bargaining power here. You signed a contract that they failed to complete. $5000 is way too low. Start at $30,000 (seriously). You want $30,000, or you'll take the proper AC and granite counter tops. You can always negotiate down, but you cant negotiate up. Dont take anything less than $15000 in cash concessions.

The builder buys in bulk. He has that AC system, and your counter tops, sitting in his warehouse somewhere. He gets way better pricing on this stuff, then you would, if you have to put in granite counter tops after the fact.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Name and shame the builder.

Well....let the builder have a chance to make it right first.

It sounds like the OP bought a spec house but he still has some say in things. When I build mine I was there from the beginning, and specified oak hand rails instead of the standard half-wall. First walk-through came and I noticed that they framed out the stairwell for the half-wall. Pointed that out to the supervisor doing the walk-through and the next time I visited, the rough-in was gone and I got my oak hand rails.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for naming/shaming if the builder doesn't respond appropriately, but you have to give them a chance first.

2 things on the AC.....That 2 ton unit is going to run .....A LOT with the heat and humidity you get down there in San Antonio and the south wind is blowing. Put it this way, houses around here that are between 1800 and 2200 sq. ft are getting 4 ton units. Unless you spec out a larger size, a builder is going to use the cheapest they can find to meet house spec's. Also, Lennox isn't as good as they once were in the 90's and before. Parts availability has been an issue for them for the past 10 years. Also, from my experience working with AC folks, the higher SEER means higher cost and less longevity. I think with at least a 16 SEER, there are also rebates, but I wouldn't go any higher than a 16 SEER if your looking at getting a cost estimate from another AC vendor for comparison.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Don't take ANY money. Make them install the better AC system and granite counter tops.

If you do take money, YOU hold all the bargaining power here. You signed a contract that they failed to complete. $5000 is way too low. Start at $30,000 (seriously). You want $30,000, or you'll take the proper AC and granite counter tops. You can always negotiate down, but you cant negotiate up. Dont take anything less than $15000 in cash concessions.

The builder buys in bulk. He has that AC system, and your counter tops, sitting in his warehouse somewhere. He gets way better pricing on this stuff, then you would, if you have to put in granite counter tops after the fact.

^^^THIS!^^^

I paid under $2k for my galley + island granite installed by going to the right wholesale guy/installer.

Last edited:
I'm puzzled as well. When OP signed off against the said options, were they an upgrade? I would think they were. If so, the builder charged extra for them, how much did the builder charge for them?

If it were me and I already paid for these option, I would want them installed. If not, The cost of these items later on becomes greater because you cannot use your kitchen when the countertops are being done, same with AC, so there is an inconvenience factor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back