Chevron Supreme Conventional 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use it? Or is there a UOA out there for it in a V8 application?
Walmart.com 5 QT Jugs in a 3pk are sub $2.50 a quart, pretty good deal looking at both PQIA and other VOAs, nice Moly and TBN!

I am using the 10w-30 version in an Elantra with 2.0. Love it. Maybe it is the moly but super quiet in my application.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
I am using the 10w-30 version in an Elantra with 2.0. Love it. Maybe it is the moly but super quiet in my application.

(3 Pack) Chevron Supreme Motor Oil, 5W20

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-Supreme-Motor-Oil-5W20/46683810

3pack 5qt jugs come out to 2.36$ a quart. Which isnt bad for what seems to be a stout oil. Has more moly than formula shell for 14 cents or so cheaper.

hmmm.......I completely missed that. I was just at Walmart buying another 5 quart jug of Mobil 1. With the retail pricing, and a $5 off coupon, Walmart Mobil 1 prices beat every other retailer.

I hear that today's conventional oil is a very good product. I also hear that the bias against conventional oil, is left over from the conventional oils of decades past. Way back when I first picked up a wrench, it was true that full synthetic was a better product. So I've been using full synthetic. Perhaps if like you, I take a 2nd look at the modern batch of conventional oil on the market, I may change my mind also. If modern conventional oil is able to lubricate, clean, and protect as well as the synthetic formulations, with a OEM spec oil change interval, then that may be where I'm headed. Maybe in another 5 years, as I buy another new car, because I need to use up all the oil I have in my garage first. Maybe in 5 years, something else will change with engine technology, oil formulations, filtration, and additive packs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigD1
Havoline six quart boxes for $14.97. My local Walmart store stocks all the flavors of it now.

Here is the latest 5W-30 test.

http://pqiadata.org/Havoline_5W30.html

That's $2.49 a quart. The Chevron supreme is almost the same oil, slightly cheaper, and in a jug (easier to dispose of old oil versus a bag in a box)

Also, Conventional oils have come a long way, Rams are FF with PYB and have an OLM more than likely based on using PYB or a similar conventional meeting the Chrysler spec, which Supreme falls under.

Chevron Supreme 5w20 is actually a synthetic blend according to their data sheets, it's a great value especially the 5 quart containers.

According to historic posts, Havoline was said to have a stouter additive in it's former specs. Is this true today? IDK? I really like Chevron for conventional oil.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Chevron is running rebates on Havoline and Delo right now so might want to go that route if you are counting down to the penny.

Not one for rebates. Still waiting on a few rebates from 2009 to come in on oil and autolite sparkplugs lol

Originally Posted by JustinH
Chevron is running rebates on Havoline and Delo right now so might want to go that route if you are counting down to the penny.

Havoline is one of the best deals. $15 for 5 quart jug. $5 rebate. $10 for 5 quart jug. Limit of 3.

Shell Rotella Gas Truck is about $25. $10 rebate. $15 for 5 quarts. Limit of 4.

As for bargain hunting - O'Reilly had $10 off $20. O'Reilly full synthetic is $21.99 for 5 quarts. The coupon brings the price down to $11.99 for 5 quarts of full synthetic oil.

Originally Posted by Onetor
According to historic posts, Havoline was said to have a stouter additive in it's former specs. Is this true today? IDK? I really like Chevron for conventional oil.

I asked them in the Q&A posted on this website if Chevron Supreme and Havoline were the same oil, and they would not answer the question.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Still waiting on a few rebates from 2009 to come in on oil and autolite sparkplugs lol

Post that over on the rebates forum. There are guys there who act like you offended them because your rebate has not been paid. So what? I bought the product. I submitted the rebate. I'm still waiting. No check. And someone else is mad at me, because the rebate hasn't been paid.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
To get the most out of the numerous benefits of using Chevron Supreme, go 10W-30 !

Whats so special about 10X30?

I have both 5Wx30 and the 10W from Costco ...

Originally Posted by Corollaman
Chevron Supreme 5w20 is actually a synthetic blend according to their data sheets, it's a great value especially the 5 quart containers.

ðŸ‘

The PDS says both the 5/20 and 5/30 are SB's. I've used the 5/30 Supreme in my 3.8L - 6, with no issues. And at $13 for 5qts it's a great value.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by das_peikko
To get the most out of the numerous benefits of using Chevron Supreme, go 10W-30 !

Whats so special about 10X30?

I have both 5Wx30 and the 10W from Costco ...

Dunno but my manual says I "can" use a 10/30 but states for best engine performance and fuel economy, to run a 5/20 or 5/30. I've always ran 5/30.

I'd say probably every single SN / SN+ oil out there has to be "synthetic blend" these days. Hydro treating is cheap enough and pretty much everyone is using at least some. I'd be ok using anyone major brand oil these days for at least 5k to 6k with top off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back