How far open should sink/toilet shut off valves be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got these multi-turn valves. Do you guys keep them fully open?
[Linked Image]

I do. The only valves i leave not completely open are steam valves.

Last edited:
I find that it is also good, from time to time, to work them. Often they get stuck, if they have been sitting for a while.

A new valve, keep it all the way open, but not as hard as you can turn, and "sometimes" I find, that if it's getting older and sediment has built up, that you might slow or stop a leak if you open it all the way then turn it back a quarter turn, then it may drip but the sediment seals the leak while you have a drip pan under it... seems fiddly, but a lot less work than a trip to the hardware store and rebuilding and/or replacing it. If it doesn't stop dripping then you know, you need do more.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I always replace them with quarter turn valves.

I like the Keeney valves Lowes sells

I learned a trick from a plumber. Open it all the way, then close it just a little bit. That will allow you to work it both directions if it gets stuck in the future. Having the ability to work it back and forth gives you a better chance of freeing it up.

Originally Posted by Fitz98
I learned a trick from a plumber. Open it all the way, then close it just a little bit. That will allow you to work it both directions if it gets stuck in the future.

That's exactly what I do although I won't claim it's for the reason the plumber told you. I honestly can't remember why I started doing this.

I leave them full open.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Originally Posted by Kage860
I do. The only valves i leave not completely open are steam valves.

No problems with steam hammer?

I'm sure he doesn't leave them cracked open; he likely leaves them 1/4 turn off of the back-seat, so that the packing doesn't dry-out and then blow-out.

Originally Posted by Dave9
A new valve, keep it all the way open, but not as hard as you can turn, and "sometimes" I find, that if it's getting older and sediment has built up, that you might slow or stop a leak if you open it all the way then turn it back a quarter turn, then it may drip but the sediment seals the leak while you have a drip pan under it... seems fiddly, but a lot less work than a trip to the hardware store and rebuilding and/or replacing it. If it doesn't stop dripping then you know, you need do more.

Some variation of this. ^^

I never open them "ALL the way"

These valves are not machined for a "back seating" function.
That's only on Oxygen tanks and pretty much nothing else.

A couple of the valves on toilets in our house will drip if I open them "all the way", but are OK when I dial them back a bit...IIRC one of them will still drip very slowly when dialed back a modest amount, but then the dripping will stop comp[lately within a day or so.
Someday I will learn how to replace these things and put in some better quality equipment...

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Full open.
I always replace them with quarter turn valves.

+1

1/4 turn ? I take that to be ball valves … often a premium product compared to the gate valves with the notorious stem leaks. I use them when doing my own plumbing …

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Someday I will learn how to replace these things and put in some better quality equipment...
Replace them with 1/4 valves when you do.

If they're threaded connections, most people that can "turn a wrench" could replace them. Obviously remember to turn off the water supply (you'll still get some "spillage" but nothing you can't clean up with a towel), use sealing tape (on metal pipe), and crank them down very firm.

Yep .

I turn it all the way out , but not hard . Then I may turn it back in a tiny amount .

Yes … and the ball valves tend to have better threads than misc nipples … so a little smear of PTFE thread paste over the Teflon tape is worth doing …

Originally Posted by Linctex

Some variation of this. ^^

I never open them "ALL the way"

These valves are not machined for a "back seating" function.
That's only on Oxygen tanks and pretty much nothing else.

Agreed. If it's a gate, needle, globe, plug, etc.. water valve like this, especially the cheaply made ones, there's no advantage to back seating. I too like to open fully, then close them slightly so I can move them in both directions if need be. You're right on most of your standard cylinder gas valves. They're designed to be back seated. I see that a lot at work. Still pucker every time I have to crack a cylinder open on a high pressure tube trailer. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back