Auto Parts Made In India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you buy any? I just found out that my new ACDelco Professional strut mounts that I ordered from a vender on eBay might be made in India. They list the same mounts on Zoro and Zoro says "Country Of Origin India." I won't know for sure until they get here. I'll probably end up sending them back. Dang it to heck.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Would you buy any?

Yes

I just found out that my new ACDelco Professional strut mounts that I ordered from a vender on eBay might be made in India.

And? Aren't they normally made in China? Are you concerned the parts made in India will be inferior to the parts made in China?

They list the same mounts on Zoro and Zoro says "Country Of Origin India." I won't know for sure until they get here. I'll probably end up sending them back. Dang it to heck.
mad.gif

Why will you probably send them back? Is there some previously known problem with Indian made parts that I haven't heard yet?

Why not give them a day in court first before spending the time and effort to return them?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Is there some previously known problem with Indian made parts that I haven't heard yet?

Have you seen them try to make hand tools? They're horrid.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Is there some previously known problem with Indian made parts that I haven't heard yet?

Have you seen them try to make hand tools? They're horrid.

I remember about 10+ years ago bought India made Harbor Frieght wrenches. One broke when using and part of it went flying past my head. Went to Lowes and bought Kobalt set that day. Not sure what quality is like now.

Okay, so there have been issues with parts manufactured in India that I haven't heard about. That still doesn't change my position from the original reply.

The part(s) purchased were a name brand with brand loyalty in this country, not some company founded in that country (or for that country) specifically intended to sell a line of auto parts. AcDelco has a financial need to ensure the parts they sell are not terrible junk, and as such, I would expect their factories' QC to be a step above foreign junk. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but having never tried any of their Indian made parts, I would at least give them the benefit of the doubt going into it.

And if they disappoint me by selling inferior parts to me, I would mark them off the list for the foreseeable future and move on.

I have a flair wrench set made in India that I bought at Harbor Freight. They are so bad that my regular Craftsman (vintage 1983, made in USA) open end wrenches work better even for applications where one normally uses a flair wrench.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I have a flair wrench set made in India that I bought at Harbor Freight. They are so bad that my regular Craftsman (vintage 1983, made in USA) open end wrenches work better even for applications where one normally uses a flair wrench.

How so? I mean it seems either holds or it doesn't.

Last edited:
A lot of aftermarket strut mounts coming from India, including most of KYB's mounts.

Aftermarket parts with rubber in them, or especially primarily rubber, seem to come from India a lot more often

Remember that ACDelco Professional =/= GM OE

India is lowest on my list of large tool manufacturing countries that I'd buy from. Below China and that's... don't even give them to me for free, I don't want to bother walking over to the trash can to throw them away, do not want to be around anyone using them, do not want to be the victim of any work done with them.

China prides itself in using cheapest methods to manufacture things but India takes it to a new level, actually *manufacturing* lies about why it's superior to use something inferior and I don't mean their low end tool manufacturers do this, their high end professional engineers are tasked with it. They set their "high bar" low and that's inexcusable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Yes. ACDelco Professional is on average, better than GM OE parts (which is why "most" GM vehicles don't have good resale value) but it does depend on the part. The aftermarket parts industry is so sordid that you have to take parts on a case by case basis. Many brands sell the same parts from a few suppliers but just two tiers for two suppliers. Many OEM had flaws that they never bothered to fix. It's a jungle out there.

A lot of aftermarket strut mounts coming from India, including most of KYB's mounts.

Aftermarket parts with rubber in them, or especially primarily rubber, seem to come from India a lot more often

I went to ACDelco's website and the only upper strut mount they list for the application is ACDelco Professional 901-045.

On some other parts I can get ACDelco OE, but on that particular part, it's Professional series only.

Genuine GM mounts are available, but the price is double. I figured I'd give ACDelco a try before I go that route.

Originally Posted by Dave9

Yes. ACDelco Professional is on average, better than GM OE parts (which is why "most" GM vehicles don't have good resale value) but it does depend on the part. The aftermarket parts industry is so sordid that you have to take parts on a case by case basis. Many brands sell the same parts from a few suppliers but just two tiers for two suppliers. Many OEM had flaws that they never bothered to fix. It's a jungle out there.

I feel like you have that backwards. As a whole, I feel ACDelco's Original Equipment line is far and away better than their Professional line, which itself is a step above their Advantage line. Their are exceptions, as I've recently seem Advantage sway bar links made in the USA.

I went to ACDelco's website and the only upper strut mount they list for the application is ACDelco Professional 901-045.

On some other parts I can get ACDelco OE, but on that particular part, it's Professional series only.

Genuine GM mounts are available, but the price is double. I figured I'd give ACDelco a try before I go that route.

A few weeks ago I needed to order some GM OE motor mounts for my truck. We all know OE motor mounts are better than aftermarket so that's the route I took. I didn't want to pay $$$ for the part or shipping so I did some searching. The GM parts website, gmpartsgarage.com is run by a GM dealership in NJ. They had a free shipping weekend for Mother's Day so I was able to get the mounts for cheaper than even from Rock Auto.

They currently have a Memorial Day free shipping sale going on until the 31st. ACDelco Professional 901-145 cross references to an OE part number of 19294105. GM Parts Garage has it for $61 and they don't charge tax. Use coupon code MAYDAY for free shipping.

https://www.gmpartsgarage.com/oem-parts/gm-mount-19294105

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alchargo
ACDelco Professional 901-145 cross references to an OE part number of 19294105. GM Parts Garage has it for $61 and they don't charge tax. Use coupon code MAYDAY for free shipping.

https://www.gmpartsgarage.com/oem-parts/gm-mount-19294105

The correct GM part number is 19208376. Your guys have it for $96.73. I'll probably be wishing I got those.
https://www.gmpartsgarage.com/v-200.../front-suspension--struts-and-components

For that kind of money, they'd have to be made in USA I would think. Thanks for the keyboard work.
thumbsup2.gif

I've have wrenches made in India in the 1970s that are very good---and had (past tense!) similar looking ones made there in the 1980s that were pretty bad. They are inconsistent, like stuff from China or USA.

Anybody notice that a lot of manhole covers are from India?

Last edited:
I would hope that wherever a big name brand like ACdelco is getting their products made, that they're requiring the facilities to follow established ISO quality standards and using quality raw materials. After all, AC's on the hook for comebacks and their reputation is likewise on the line

That said, we're going to see more and more products sourced from places like India as labour and material costs continue to rise in China.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by zzyzzx

How so? I mean it seems either holds or it doesn't.

The made in India wrenches either slipped or would not fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back