new home dispute questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a new home from a large home builder in San Antonio.

House was mostly completed when we purchased it.

We are coming up on our inspection date, we have a private inspector coming by.

Few items we noticed.

When we signed on the house, we initialed next to each feature of the home.

Two items that stuck out (Granite counters in kitchen and both bathrooms, and 16 SEER AC Unit).

We went by the house, it has laminate counters in all locations, and a 14 SEER ac unit.

I'm trying to come up with a number with my realtor what we should ask for in Seller concessions.

We do not want the counters ripped out, we would rather ask for money.

The AC unit is a Lennox base unit 2 TON.

The counters are just basic laminate, similar to Lowes or whatever.

I figured about $1000 for the AC and about $3000-4000 for the counters.

Ask for $5k in concessions plus whatever the inspector finds as repair items.

Am I way off base?

Not at all! You had an agreement for certain items and they didn't fulfill their end of the deal. You're well within your rights for this concession and $5k seems right, if not a little undervalued.

Every day you're going to look at the laminate and wish you had granite. Why don't you want them to make it right and install the granite?

I think you are low on the granite. One estimate site I saw provided a $63-$93 per sq ft figure materials and install. A lot depends on granite quality that would have been used. I would be inclined to make them do the granite rather than take what might be $10K reduction. After all that is what was specified.

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
I think you are low on the granite. One estimate site I saw provided a $63-$93 per sq ft figure materials and install. A lot depends on granite quality that would have been used.
That's what I was thinking too, a decent sized kitchen counter is going to be 5k easy in Toronto.

Make 'em fix it or tell 'em you're fixin' to walk.
Just like buying a car.
Make it right or I'll walk.
They will do the work, but you need to inspect it carefully to ensure that it wasn't done halfway right.
The builder probably did this willfully figuring that you'd be so anxious to take possession that you'd accept less than what you agreed to.

I also think you should have them pull the counters and put in what you wanted/paid for.

It's not what you specified and as time goes on you're going to be more annoyed every time you look at them - and your better half will also be annoyed, only exponentially.
wink.gif
No sense buying new and then ripping something out soon after you move in.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Every day you're going to look at the laminate and wish you had granite. Why don't you want them to make it right and install the granite?

^ This x2! I had granite countertops installed six months ago along with under cabinet wall tiles and a tile mosaic over the stove, total $6,000. Have a heating and air contractor evaluate the a/c to make sure it will do the job for you as well. The builder can tear out the laminate and install the granite in a day, 2 at most. If he doesn't agree to the replacement, walk! Don't feel sorry for the builder, this is on him.

Originally Posted by RamFan
You're well within your rights for this concession and $5k seems right, if not a little undervalued.

Agreed!

It would cost them more than $5k to DO THE JOB RIGHT... so take the money.

If they have to do "redo work" it'll likely be substandard.

Get what you paid for!!!

$1,000 for a less than efficient a.c. Not enough. You are going to spend more money over the years you own the house, $1,000 is not enough. 16 SEER is more efficient and newer technology.

I think it is a mistake, you should have a building supervisor. Call him up, tell him/ her the problem and they will fix it. Communicate now, so you won't be mad and it will all be taken care of prior the end.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by Leo99

^ This x2! I had granite countertops installed six months ago along with under cabinet wall tiles and a tile mosaic over the stove, total $6,000. Have a heating and air contractor evaluate the a/c to make sure it will do the job for you as well. The builder can tear out the laminate and install the granite in a day, 2 at most. If he doesn't agree to the replacement, walk! Don't feel sorry for the builder, this is on him.

Friend of mine had a custom house built and the builder dug the basement 180° wrong. Builder had the front and rear of the house confused. He had the builder make it right.

I don't know much about A/C but if the unit is too powerful it will cool the house quickly but not run long enough to dehumidify properly.

Are you willing to walk?
"You can't negotiate if you can't walk away."
Get a few estimates for what the upgrades would cost and go from there.

I have no idea what a house costs in TX or construction, but good luck!

Get quotes and provide to builder. Either he pays you the quotes price or swaps out the item.

Like people said, get quotes for what the larger AC and granite would cost, and make the contractor deduct it from the price. I wouldn't want them to do the work either, as you don't want someone who is annoyed or angry with you doing work in your house.

So this was your literal potential house, not a model home? IDK why they'd rip out granite counter-- it gets glued to the sink and the under-cabinets. The house next door will be off a 1/4-inch on some vital dimensions and the granite won't fit well there. And if they were such good craftsman that it could fit there, they wouldn't be shysters.

Now the question is what other stuff did they swap out that you didn't notice?

I'd offer them 10k less and let them tell you to flake off.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by RamFan
You're well within your rights for this concession and $5k seems right, if not a little undervalued.

Agreed!

It would cost them more than $5k to DO THE JOB RIGHT... so take the money.

If they have to do "redo work" it'll likely be substandard.

Yep. The work will be very shoddy , rip out and replace.

Thanks, we don't need the granite, honestly I'd rather have 5k in my pocket etc.

My wife and I agreed that we did not want them ripping out AC or counters, we will only accept cash.

2 TON unit, 1440 3/2 home. Technically its called a detached condo because of the small lot, but it is a single family house.

My realtor broker is working with the inspector to get it all on paper and make the request to the builder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back