What's this nest under the hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Looks like mud and dirt. Don't want to go poking at it if a swarm of killer bees fly out. Could use a garden hose from a few feet away.

Appears to be some species of hornet but it's hard to tell for sure because of the obstruction.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I think that might be the mud dauber wasps that have the really thin section between the body and the abdomen...be careful!!

Yep, it looks like mud daubers. Vicious little buggers.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Virtus_Probi said:
I think that might be the mud dauber wasps that have the really thin section between the body and the abdomen...be careful!!

Id say mud daubers.

They are common here … never bother me … wasps are another story

Use water hose …

This is why I live in a country where the weather makes my face hurt (cold). It keeps these sorts of pests in check.
lol.gif

Many moons ago on a construction site I pulled back a piece of roofing felt only to discover that these vicious critters had their nest in between the folds. I ended up getting stung 4-5 times.

I provided the rest of the gang with a story they told many times in the years that followed.

Get the wasp spray.

Here's one … a couple flew around my head during the Kodak moment …
I have window units at the camp and the nests have locked up fans before

E67C52F9-374F-4B27-A865-B6BE2D28CF4F.jpeg

Last edited:
Most likely a Mud Dauber OP. Solitary Wasp. Just one. Likely other nests nearby. They build the nest, fill it with spiders, seal 'em in with eggs. The larva feeds on the spiders. Daubers don't defend the nest, so you can just crush it. Not aggressive at all. Chisel or big flat head and knock it off. Hit it with penetrating fluid, wasp spray... first if any concerns. They like to return year after year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back