Leather care

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys use to clean your leathers?

My car had perforated (sp?) Leather. Is Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer be used to clean the leather is fine? Not sure if the product is water based or not. After that I plan to use Leather Masters Protection Cream

Modern coated leather doesn't really require any lotions, creams, conditioners etc. With that said, there are some products that can be used to prolong it's "good looks". For cleaning I personally use CarPro Inside diluted 1:1 (light cleaner when diluted, safe for literally any surface on the car's interior). For protection, I apply Gyeon Leather Coat every 3 months or so - cheap, works good and doens't change the looks of fell of the leather upholstery. Hope this helps

The Meguiars product is decent. You don't need to use much. Spray it onto a microfiber towel and wipe the surfaces.

Leather Masters is a good brand as well. Again, the key is to use sparingly. I personally prefer spray products versus creams.

I have been using Gyeon Leathercoat. It leaves a matte or slightly satin finish and the protection is excellent. Water will bead on the surface instead of soaking in.

Lots of good brands out there. Sonax, Griots for example make great leather care products.

I used water to clean the ones I had, in case of the rare spill. 11 years and I never treated them with anything.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The Meguiars product is decent. You don't need to use much. Spray it onto a microfiber towel and wipe the surfaces.

Leather Masters is a good brand as well. Again, the key is to use sparingly. I personally prefer spray products versus creams.

I have been using Gyeon Leathercoat. It leaves a matte or slightly satin finish and the protection is excellent. Water will bead on the surface instead of soaking in.

Lots of good brands out there. Sonax, Griots for example make great leather care products.

Good info.

Most OEM and aftermarket leather is coated, in that case I've been using Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Care or simply 303.

Perforated leather - like the Mercedes designo package stuff, Lexus semi-aniline and real vat-dyed leather like what BMW and Mercedes used up until the 1990s do benefit from better stuff like Griot's

Attend to it regularly otherwise it will be hard to bring back. Using some of the products mentioned above.

Woolite heavily diluted to clean the leather.

I work it in with a brush then wipe off the excess with a dry microfiber.

Then I do a follow-up wipe with a "damp" microfiber. That's all you need for modern coated leather.

Pecards had a "leather lotion" for coated leathers that works well. They have a long line of leather products to check out.

In all my "old" stuff I use Leatherique. Has really worked well for me. 2 step process.

But even with modern leather seats, they still wear out, discolor, crack and fade overtime...

I want to prevent them from cracking and fading. Especially black leather.

Originally Posted by Richie
I use Lexol

Same here. Years ago, Motorcycle Consumer News ran an in depth study on a number of leather cleaners/conditioners. I recall that among other things, they stressed the importance of using a product that had a neutral PH balance. Lexol came out very high on their recommended list where a number of well known companies put out products that were not close to the mark. I use both the cleaner and conditioner.

I recently tried some Turtle Wax Luxe Leather Cleaner and Conditioner and really like it. Plus it's cheap,only about $4 a bottle.

Originally Posted by Inked
I use Lexol

Same here. Years ago, Motorcycle Consumer News ran an in depth study on a number of leather cleaners/conditioners. I recall that among other things, they stressed the importance of using a product that had a neutral PH balance. Lexol came out very high on their recommended list where a number of well known companies put out products that were not close to the mark. I use both the cleaner and conditioner.

Do you have a link to that? I'd like to read it. Thank you!

Originally Posted by painfx
Anyone uses Meguiars Interior Quick Detailer for their leathers?

Yeah I have their Ultimate Interior Detailer. Works well but doesn't smell great.

I also have their Ultimate Leather Balm and I love it.

Originally Posted by Chris B.
Originally Posted by Inked
I use Lexol

Do you have a link to that? I'd like to read it. Thank you!

I had a hard copy from a subscription at the time. In doing a cursory search I on their website it didn't come back with anything. I found this link though from their forum but that's it.

https://www.mcnews.com/community/topic/leather-care/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back