please help GL4 GL5 gear oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Tnx...will try to change it for a GL4 sped oil in a future

Europeans are very lucky because it is VERY....VERY difficult to obtain GL-4 (ONLY) rated gear oil, especially if you go to a brick and mortar parts store.

I'm sure it isn't uncommon to see many different products available as GL-4 rating only in Europe.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Yes you can get both ratings easily.... But GL5 is more common/frequent though.

I've tried to walk into numerous auto parts stores in the USA and look for GL-4 only and with only a rare exception (usually CRC Sta Lube 80w90 mineral oil) is the only one you'll find anywhere. It's really amazing it is so hard to find I almost wonder if it is something to do with our EPA regulations something in that GL-4 that makes it hard to produce here or what?

GL-5 is everywhere of course, usually with (limited slip additives) included.

Last edited:
You can still try to get it as a OEM MT transmission oil...it will probablly be on a pricier side...but it seems that you dont have other options over the pond
smile.gif

VW 501.50 is GL4 75w90...according to this PDS
www.ematrans.bg/index.php/bg/masla/...oad/450_2365d747bd84af784bfee9a1eabeda68

Try to find it at local VW dealer....

Hyundai/Kia has their 75w85 in GL4....it is their OEM specification

Dunno for other auto brands....

From Molas post......75w85 is more "fuel efficency" oriented.....12.0cSt@100C VS 14-15 cSt (SAE 75W90) range

F. The next higher viscosity MTL would be a 12.0cSt@100C and SAE 75W85:

1. Redline MT-85

G. The next higher viscosity MTLs in the 14-15 cSt (SAE 75W90) range would be:

1. Amsoil MTG
2. Redline MT-90
3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS
7. ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
8. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-90
9. LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL4

Ex Hyundai i30 worked OK with both...OEM 75w85......wich I changed to 75w90 @130kkm....

Anyone seen documentation that Lucas 75W-90 is yellow metal safe? Their data sheet has a lot of marketing fluff, but doesn't mention compatibility.

P.S. Nevermind. :)

Lucas.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD

...I've tried to walk into numerous auto parts stores in the USA and look for GL-4 only and with only a rare exception (usually CRC Sta Lube 80w90 mineral oil) is the only one you'll find anywhere. It's really amazing it is so hard to find I almost wonder if it is something to do with our EPA regulations something in that GL-4 that makes it hard to produce here or what?

GL-5 is everywhere of course, usually with (limited slip additives) included.

The reason you will find mostly GL-5 is because it is used primarily in differentials, not Manual Transmissions.

Now just because the bottle says it covers GL-4, that does not necessarily mean it is a suitable for Manual Transmissions.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
AC1DD said:
Now just because the bottle says it covers GL-4, that does not necessarily mean it is a suitable for Manual Transmissions.

So is the CRC Sta-Lube 80w90 GL-4 available at many walk in parts stores in the USA suitable for synchromesh manual transmissions in passenger cars?

Never actually seen that question addressed properly and fully.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
AC1DD said:

So is the CRC Sta-Lube 80w90 GL-4 available at many walk in parts stores in the USA suitable for synchromesh manual transmissions in passenger cars?

Never actually seen that question addressed properly and fully.

I have to say that it does NOT as it lacks the specific friction modifier chemistry necessary to create the proper dynamic friction coefficient for synchronizer engagement.

I have to say that it does NOT as it lacks the specific friction modifier chemistry necessary to create the proper dynamic friction coefficient for synchronizer engagement.

Thanks for the follow up response. I suspected as much but there was no qualified comment as to such until yours.
beer3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back