China Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleak picture, or merely an example of China improving its efficiency in the use of inputs?
Will China fade away into decades of recession as happened with Japan or do they have the will and the means to continue down a path that leads to global economic dominance first and global power dominance later?
If China is really on the cusp of an economic collapse, and there are reasons to think that it might be, the question would be how much of the financial structure of the West will it take down with it?
Since China is the second largest economy in the world, the fallout will be significant.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
It's only a matter of time before China experiences a mob of a sort in regards to workers rights, unions, etc.

No chance as they will be shot for even thinking outside the box. They dont want the masses having free thought.

Originally Posted by Marco620
It's only a matter of time before China experiences a mob of a sort in regards to workers rights, unions, etc.

No chance as they will be shot for even thinking outside the box. They dont want the masses having free thought.
Dictatorships run smoothly when the economy is great, but they are a lot more fragile than democracies when the money gets tight. China will not have the same economic performance playing by WTO rules, let alone facing tariffs from their biggest market.

Besides, wealthy societies eventually become democratic. Chinese bourgeois won't be able to buy their way into western countries forever (except for Canada).

Maybe they should just borrow 17 trillion dollars, er, never mind.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Marco620

Kinda like the British and the Colonies eh?

Their diesel demand may be down but didn't they just ban diesel cars etc due to air pollution? There's cities in China where you can't see across the street, I'm just wondering out loud if some of it's tied to this. I know some pictures of Beijing are, ahem, breathtaking.....

Had a connection in Beijing … from my window seat, the whole decent was like watching an old (pre color) movie … Never saw dirtier air anywhere …

Remember that the population of China is 1.3 billion. The .3 is the size of the middle class, and it's equal to the entire population of the USA. The other billion Chinese aspire to rise to the middle class. So the Chinese economy is slowing somewhat, but remains pretty strong. They do have a LOT of room for growth.

Also, as the middle class grows in China, so do wages. The labor market forces have already begun to shift some manufacturing to southeast Asian countries with lower wages.

They'll just run over them with tanks. Again.

These types of stories predicting the end of China pop up in mass media regularly since at least 2007.

I don't take it seriously.

The old guard Communist are dyeing off . I am guessing the New Guard are interested in power and money more than ideology ?

Further guessing that sooner or latter , the peasant out on the farm is going to demand a larger slice of the economic pie .

Also , we in the USA tend to think of China as one monolithic society , as we did with the USSR .

China is a mix of several ethnic / language / cultural groups that may or may not play well with each other , if no one exercises a big stick , to keep them in line .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

They'll just run over them with tanks. Again.

The Peoples's Liberation Army ran over the people. Step out of line...it's killing time.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by 4WD
Had a connection in Beijing … from my window seat, the whole decent was like watching an old (pre color) movie … Never saw dirtier air anywhere …

Descent you dummy or auto spell fail

I am reporting you to moderators for calling our esteemed poster as dummy

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back