RockAuto Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their online catalog is pure genius. I get part numbers for half a dozen brands so I can shop around. Usually end up back at Rock to order it. Brake hose on closeout for $3.19 + $2.99 shipping. Local store $13.

I do find the shipping expensive, but then again, like JC1 stated, we are in Canada and it is the land of getting hosed. If I have time before a repair, I look at amazon, rock, local dealer or check some local ag stores (filters). I have ordered a bit through amazon but usually rock beats them by a few bucks when all the dust clears.

I always pay for the cheapest shipping. I like the fact that they already work in the duties and tax so that I have no surprise bill at the door. Even with their cheap shipping, I find I get the parts in 10 days or less, usually way less then the quoted delivery time.

My past 6 months orders includes brakes, wheel hubs, spark plugs, int shafts, belts, shocks, a few more. I always compare RA, Amazon, Ebay for prices. And more times than not, RA is still cheaper even with shipping. I assume that's because the Amazon and Ebay sellers take a bite of the apple and include shipping costs in the price. Then hook fish with free shipping as the bait.

Example last week.

https://www.powerstop.com/product/crk/#y=2005&mk=CHEVROLET&mo=CLASSIC&p=Front

Note the prices. RA shipping to me is $12.99. That's $88.78 to my door. In a nice box. Amazon is $109.99 with "free shipping" and a beat up box. That's a $21 difference!.. Thanks Rockauto!.

That's just one example. Somebody mentioned spark plugs were more expensive on RockAuto. Not the NGK for my truck. They were a lot cheaper on RockAuto.

This is exactly why I never buy single items from Rock Auto... multiple items or various items always. And only when the "price plus shipping" equals a lower total cost than elsewhere, which is not always the case even when buying multiple items from Rock Auto. So, it depends
smile.gif

I have come across the phantom shipping changes while adding/subtracting items to my cart. Trying to save on shipping charges and warehouse codes would change suddenly. It's very annoying. My other complaint is item come and the package has been opened/ripped. Got a door actuator recently and the package has been opened ! [censored]. It's a door actuator so I installed it anyway.

About 10 years ago, I got an honest-to-goodness Christmas card from RockAuto. It had about 10 genuine handwritten signatures on it, not done by a autopen machine.
I had purchased quite a few orders that year, but I'm not exactly sure why I was picked to receive the card.
I'm sure there will be doubters, but all I can say is that I wish I'd kept it.

While I still order from RockAuto, the biggest advantage of browsing the RockAuto site is the number of different suppliers that they carry. That, and the savings that you can pickup if you are brave enough to order an item from the closeout section.

I comparison shop between R A and Amazon. But you can't beat Amazon's 2 day Prime shipping USPS delivered a part to me on Memorial Day that's not going to happen with rock.

Originally Posted by repairman54
I comparison shop between R A and Amazon. But you can't beat Amazon's 2 day Prime shipping USPS delivered a part to me on Memorial Day that's not going to happen with rock.

Amazon delivers on Sunday too... sometimes I'm willing to pay a little bit more from Amazon if I'm getting it on a Sunday or two days later.ðŸ‘

I cancelled my last order with RA. Selected Fedex shipping but came up as US Mail on the receipt. That would add more than a few days, if it ever shows up. I've found other sites, Summit Racing, for comparable prices with honest shipping.

Just played the RA game for maintenance parts for the 2 different vehicles we bought. Kept switching out parts to get cheaper shipping. Also noticed at times the warehouses changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back