Ford 1.5 GDI Turbo Engine with 10.1 Compression Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by CT8
With identical ratings ,,, oil is oil.

Wrong! Please read the labels carefully and slowly. Then observe what might be missing from them.

Jerry
No need to buy the most expensive. Buy Mobil-1 Vanilla and change every 5K. TGDIs need frequent changes, but still serve best with brand-name oils like Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline and Pennzoil.

Oil is not all the same. That's like saying 50 graduates holding the same, identical certification diplomas at Joe-Schmoe High School will all go-on to be doctors and lawyers.
People are not the same and neither are the oils, despite the same identical certs stamped to them.

Once again you show your complete lack of understanding and knowledge it's pass or fail not extra credit. At best the product can state nothing is better there is not a single product can claim the best.

There is different in oils some oils meet the bottom of the spec with cheap add packs others have a much better base stock and add pack.

Changing the oil on a regular basis regardless of brand or type is the key to engine life. Regular Supertech 5w30 is SN+ rated, even if you used that oil in your ecoboost you'd be fine.

Last edited:
in the manual Ford say 1.5 Ecoboost should be filled with 5w20 oil. But I think it's too thin on an turbo charged engine. Can I just ignored Ford recommendation and go with Castrol Magnatec 5w30 as usual ??

I have read somewhere that 1.5L ecoboost have a camshaft belt drive which is lubricated by engine oil also, which is why Ford recommend the 5w20 oil only to the 1.5L ecoboost. Other EB engine, including 1.0L, 2.0L, 2.3L... are all recommended with 5w30 oil

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Might add that Mobil1 is coming up with a new oil in a few months that is called "M1 Turbo" that claims to score very well on the turbocharger coking test part of dexos1 Gen2. Thats not to say M1 AP won't also score very well on that same test, but for a turbo engine, it might be good to get something you know is exceptionally low on turbo bearing deposits.

Where can I read more about this new oil coming out? I know they just came out with a Truck and SUV M1 flavor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rockportcity
in the manual Ford say 1.5 Ecoboost should be filled with 5w20 oil. But I think it's too thin on an turbo charged engine. Can I just ignored Ford recommendation and go with Castrol Magnatec 5w30 as usual ??

I have read somewhere that 1.5L ecoboost have a camshaft belt drive which is lubricated by engine oil also, which is why Ford recommend the 5w20 oil only to the 1.5L ecoboost. Other EB engine, including 1.0L, 2.0L, 2.3L... are all recommended with 5w30 oil

I'm not too sure about the 1.5 EB, but i KNOW that the 1.0 EB 3 cylinder engine absolutely has a timing belt running in oil.
wink.gif

Not sure about the new 1.5 EB 3 cylinder (used in the Euro/rest of world, Mk8 Fiesta ST, which we do not, or ever will, get here in the states
mad.gif
) either.

Originally Posted by dailydriver

I'm not too sure about the 1.5 EB, but i KNOW that the 1.0 EB 3 cylinder engine absolutely has a timing belt running in oil.
wink.gif

Not sure about the new 1.5 EB 3 cylinder (used in the Euro/rest of world, Mk8 Fiesta ST, which we do not, or ever will, get here in the states
mad.gif
) either.

So does the 1.5 EB 4 cylinder engine.

The 1.5 GDI EB 4 cylinder engine fusion in Europe ford recommends 5W30 oil.

Originally Posted by CT8

TGDIs need frequent changes,

No they don't. They need changes as recommended by the manufacturer. Overly frequently changing oil can be very harmful to a modern DI engine.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
The Motorcraft, that doesn't hold up as well in my engine and costs me ~$20/5 quart jug, it's a no brainer
grin2.gif

I think the only people who buy Motorcraft oil are the same guys you see wearing Ford logo clothes. I only bought 6 quarts of that once, on clearance, and it was about what the store brand cost. People often argue about the merits of their favorite oil. Nobody ever praises Motorcraft oil. A few diehards will support their filters. But we all know about how oil filter discussions go on this forum.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Originally Posted by CT8

TGDIs need frequent changes,

No they don't. They need changes as recommended by the manufacturer. Overly frequently changing oil can be very harmful to a modern DI engine.

Our severe service schedules on the SFS 2.0T and Sportage 2.4 is 3K and 3.7K miles respectively per the owner's manual. I can't see anything more frequent than this being carried out or recommended by a mfcr. There has never been any indication this causes harm, nor have I read any technical studies documenting this as an issue. Much more to the contrary, in fact. Various studies suggesting "fresh" oil, regardless of type, being the most important factor to guard against IVD and excessive soot.

[/quote]I think the only people who buy Motorcraft oil are the same guys you see wearing Ford logo clothes. I only bought 6 quarts of that once, on clearance, and it was about what the store brand cost. People often argue about the merits of their favorite oil. Nobody ever praises Motorcraft oil. A few diehards will support their filters. But we all know about how oil filter discussions go on this forum.
[/quote]

HA!

I wear lots of M-Sport World Rally Team/Ford logo clothing (they are sponsored by BP/Castrol), and I only use Ravenol products, or M1 EP/Castrol EP sometimes.
lol.gif

[/quote=DoubleNickels]I think the only people who buy Motorcraft oil are the same guys you see wearing Ford logo clothes. I only bought 6 quarts of that once, on clearance, and it was about what the store brand cost. People often argue about the merits of their favorite oil. Nobody ever praises Motorcraft oil. A few diehards will support their filters. But we all know about how oil filter discussions go on this forum.
[/quote]

HA!

I wear lots of M-Sport World Rally Team/Ford logo clothing (they are sponsored by BP/Castrol), and I only use Ravenol products, or M1 EP/Castrol EP sometimes.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Originally Posted by Whimsey
The Motorcraft, that doesn't hold up as well in my engine and costs me ~$20/5 quart jug, it's a no brainer
grin2.gif

I think the only people who buy Motorcraft oil are the same guys you see wearing Ford logo clothes. I only bought 6 quarts of that once, on clearance, and it was about what the store brand cost. People often argue about the merits of their favorite oil. Nobody ever praises Motorcraft oil. A few diehards will support their filters. But we all know about how oil filter discussions go on this forum.

Motorcraft motor oils are perfectly suitable to maintain any vehicle requiring whatever specs the oil meets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back