Longest Lasting 1/2 Ton Pickup Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by supton
Something I've never understood is why "all" Chevy's have sagging cab mounts while "all" Fords have the same sag but in the bed. Chevy's seem to have had that rust problem for decades, not sure about Ford's but I've seen a large number of later model ones with beds collapsing near the cab. [Of course, up here, "old" is anything approaching 10 years old, at that age everything seems to have rust holes.]

All of 'em lose rockers, of course.

Yes they all seem to have their rust issues that's for sure. Our 2002 gmc had no rockers or cab corners left when they retired it but the rest of the body was almost perfect and I just sold the rest of the body. The drivetrain is going in my car. Our 2005 I drive still at work had the drivers floor patched because it rusted out where the mud and slush from our boots gets caught (it also had the original floor mat with nothing left of it). The cab corner on one side is just rusting through now. They did rust protection every second year but stopped a few years ago thinking the truck should be on it's last legs by then

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by clinebarger
The 5.7L seems just fine to me, I can't think of any 1/2 ton truck engine from 15 years ago that could out run one?

15 years ago Toyota only offered the 4.7L

Jeez man.....Follow the thread!, Dave stated that the Tundra used 15 year old technology. Which is incorrect.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by 4WD
Actually they don't anymore ... and it never stopped them from doing 200k-400k
(have two L83 5.3L's ... quiet)

My experience with 5 ls truck engines i was around a lot over the past few years... 2 of them had piston slap. One of the 2 had 400k miles on it. The 4.8 I drive now has no noise at all with 190k miles. The 5.3 only had slight tap when it was below minus 20. I would hear 3 of them start up every morning while we were loading our equipment into them.

The problems I do have after 190k is steering shaft clunk and instrument cluster (speedo is dead). No driveline vibration on any of them. My friend who had the 400k mile one did have a vibration and ended up replacing the driveshaft.

This is why I believe comments like "slapping" GM engines is an extreme over exaggeration of the truth. Listen to the trucks passing you in traffic. 5 Ford's for every 1 gm will have engine noise of some kind (can phasors, timing chain, blown spark plug, exhaust manifolds). Number one is exhaust manifolds but I guess if you're from an area that doesn't use salt on the roads in the winter that might not be an issue on Ford's.

5 Fords to 1 GM, Now that's what you call a fine example of exaggeration.

No lol. Where do you live? Do they use road salt? I feel like my 5 to 1 is an extreme under exaggeration.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Actually they don't anymore ... and it never stopped them from doing 200k-400k
(have two L83 5.3L's ... quiet)

My experience with 5 ls truck engines i was around a lot over the past few years... 2 of them had piston slap. One of the 2 had 400k miles on it. The 4.8 I drive now has no noise at all with 190k miles. The 5.3 only had slight tap when it was below minus 20. I would hear 3 of them start up every morning while we were loading our equipment into them.

The problems I do have after 190k is steering shaft clunk and instrument cluster (speedo is dead). No driveline vibration on any of them. My friend who had the 400k mile one did have a vibration and ended up replacing the driveshaft.

This is why I believe comments like "slapping" GM engines is an extreme over exaggeration of the truth. Listen to the trucks passing you in traffic. 5 Ford's for every 1 gm will have engine noise of some kind (can phasors, timing chain, blown spark plug, exhaust manifolds). Number one is exhaust manifolds but I guess if you're from an area that doesn't use salt on the roads in the winter that might not be an issue on Ford's.

5 Fords to 1 GM, Now that's what you call a fine example of exaggeration.

No lol. Where do you live? Do they use road salt? I feel like my 5 to 1 is an extreme under exaggeration.

Deep South, only salt around here is on the supper table.
But it obvious by your name that your a Chevy guy and you'd never say nothing good about a Ford. We all have stories ..I've worked for the same company for 20 years and the fleet is 90% GM....1/2 of that 90% is Cadillac Escalades $90,000-$100,000 dollar vehicles. Theirs something wrong with one or more of them all the time. It varies from engine misfire(coil packs) to navigation system failures, door lock malfunctions, transmission shifting ailments , power steering unit replacement and the list goes on and on. So your 5:1 ratio means nothing, it's just your opinion....and you do know what opinions mean don't you ??????????

We all have stories ..I've worked for the same company for 20 years and the fleet is 90% GM....1/2 of that 90% is Cadillac Escalades $90,000-$100,000 dollar vehicles. Theirs something wrong with one or more of them all the time. It varies from engine misfire(coil packs) to navigation system failures, door lock malfunctions, transmission shifting ailments , power steering unit replacement and the list goes on and on. So your 5:1 ratio means nothing, it's just your opinion....and you do know what opinions mean don't you ??????????

Really.....GM LSx coil pack pattern failures? I take it....Your not the one culling these coils as being faulty?

This thread is hilarious.

Any of the big 3 or a Tundra will be plenty reliable compared to most vehicles on the road.

I have owned F150s, a Ram, and a Silverado with AFM and they all have been reliable.

The Silverados handle the worst around turns and the worst traction in the wet of the three, but rides smooth and is dependable.

The F150s handle better than the Chevy on the corners and seem to have a better weight distribution IMO. Ride is a little rougher than the Chevy. Also reliable

The Ram rides the best (09-19) and handles the best on the corners. 5.7L Hemi is strong. Reliable as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. Buy what you feel drives and handles the best to you, as well as seems to be the best value for the features you want.

If I bought new tomorrow I'm not sure which one I would buy. I would have to drive all three and compare price to features. The new Chevy is ugly though...IMO.

We all have stories ..I've worked for the same company for 20 years and the fleet is 90% GM....1/2 of that 90% is Cadillac Escalades $90,000-$100,000 dollar vehicles. Theirs something wrong with one or more of them all the time. It varies from engine misfire(coil packs) to navigation system failures, door lock malfunctions, transmission shifting ailments , power steering unit replacement and the list goes on and on. So your 5:1 ratio means nothing, it's just your opinion....and you do know what opinions mean don't you ??????????

Really.....GM LSx coil pack pattern failures? I take it....Your not the one culling these coils as being faulty?

I guess you understood what you typed
But your statement is like WTH are you saying 🤔🤔🤔

The 5.7L seems just fine to me, I can't think of any 1/2 ton truck engine from 15 years ago that could out run one?

Jeez man.....Follow the thread!, Dave stated that the Tundra used 15 year old technology. Which is incorrect.

You don't know what you are talking about because development for the 2007 Tundra did not happen in 2007 it took years to develop.

Originally Posted by dave1251

You don't know what you are talking about because development for the 2007 Tundra did not happen in 2007 it took years to develop.

Thanks Dave
Ain't nothing like a good understanding ðŸ‘

Last edited:

You said Coil Packs...One of the most reliable things on a Cadillac Escalade besides the engine itself!

You're right....I have no idea. You win!

Signing off,

You said Coil Packs...One of the most reliable things on a Cadillac Escalade besides the engine itself!

Wrong
For $100,000 vehicle their basically junk for what they cost
I'm just dam glad I don't write the checks to keep em on the road

Last edited:

Ya, Chevy introduced a 5.7L V8 that got 16 mpg in 1967. It took Toyota 40 years to equal that.

Ed

Originally Posted by donnyj08
This thread is hilarious.

Any of the big 3 or a Tundra will be plenty reliable compared to most vehicles on the road.

I have owned F150s, a Ram, and a Silverado with AFM and they all have been reliable.

The Silverados handle the worst around turns and the worst traction in the wet of the three, but rides smooth and is dependable.

The F150s handle better than the Chevy on the corners and seem to have a better weight distribution IMO. Ride is a little rougher than the Chevy. Also reliable

The Ram rides the best (09-19) and handles the best on the corners. 5.7L Hemi is strong. Reliable as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. Buy what you feel drives and handles the best to you, as well as seems to be the best value for the features you want.

If I bought new tomorrow I'm not sure which one I would buy. I would have to drive all three and compare price to features. The new Chevy is ugly though...IMO.

I tend to agree here. My 2011 Tundra has been reliable thus far. My biggest concern for it is all the electronics and sensors as it continues to age. However, the same can be said for all new vehicles produced today. If I were buying a new 1/2 ton today, I'd consider the Ford, Chevy/GMC, and the Tundra. One of my extra duties that has been assigned to me at my work is fleet maintenance manager. From what I have seen with the Dodge Hemi Chargers, Durangos, and RAM pickups is they have been more expensive to maintain per mile than Ford and GM. Having said that, they were cheaper to start out with so in the end it may be a wash.

No lol. Where do you live? Do they use road salt? I feel like my 5 to 1 is an extreme under exaggeration.[/quote]

Deep South, only salt around here is on the supper table.
But it obvious by your name that your a Chevy guy and you'd never say nothing good about a Ford. We all have stories ..I've worked for the same company for 20 years and the fleet is 90% GM....1/2 of that 90% is Cadillac Escalades $90,000-$100,000 dollar vehicles. Theirs something wrong with one or more of them all the time. It varies from engine misfire(coil packs) to navigation system failures, door lock malfunctions, transmission shifting ailments , power steering unit replacement and the list goes on and on. So your 5:1 ratio means nothing, it's just your opinion....and you do know what opinions mean don't you ??????????[/quote]

I know that if you come up here to a harsher climate you will finally figure out what I mean about the exhaust manifolds. Just listen to the trucks in traffic for one day and you would notice.

Yes they all have their different issues, and I mentioned the most common ones for the gm trucks but ignition coils is a problem that tends to happen much more to Ford's than gm or Dodge. Maybe something has changed in the past 5 years since I left the auto industry, but I still have friends working there who I keep in touch with. I've seen people have to replace every coil in a Ford truck over it's lifetime, and can't even remember a gm truck coil going bad.

I 100 percent stand by that 5:1 Ford's sounding like garbage in traffic if you were to go anywhere into the salt belt. The majority is rusted out exhaust manifolds (they turn into Swiss cheese), GM ls engines usually break a couple manifold bolts off after 10+ years but seem to rarely leak. The remainder of the common noises are the 5.4 3v which is just not a good engine. Yes I'm biased towards the GM's but sometimes working around customer's vehicles every day for a number of years can reinforce or change bias. Now I'm not in the garage but I'm on construction sites every day which puts me around lots of abused and under maintained trucks, mostly gm and Ford.

I'm not completely against Ford, just not a fan of their trucks because of their reliability history. My mom has a 2010 Ford Taurus that she put 230k miles on with very few issues and she just replaced it with an Edge. Those have been fairly reliable vehicles in our experience except transmissions on the early edge's. I also had a 78 Ford f100 that I loved and wish I could have back.

Don't need opinions on what truck myself … but the OP does not seem to be in this cat fight about a bunch of irrelevant vehicles from "back when" men were men …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Don't need opinions on what truck myself … but the OP does not seem to be in this cat fight about a bunch of irrelevant vehicles from "back when" men were men …

And hilarious arguments about reliability from folks who don't even know the vehicle they are bad mouthing.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Originally Posted by 4WD

And hilarious arguments about reliability from folks who don't even know the vehicle they are bad mouthing.

The reliability of full size pick ups between brands is really not a issue. It really comes down to what the buyer likes and wants.

Originally Posted by 4WD

That's the favorite time for many on here...."back when". Back when there were not push button starts, CVT transmissions,start/stop systems, driver assists aids, ABS brakes-the list goes on.

The things is-cars and trucks are better today they have ever been "back when".

Last edited:
I can't believe this thread.

I have made one comment in this thread just to be funny... Who wants a 1/2 ton truck. I mean in all honesty who does.
wink.gif

I camp...A LOT. Almost every other weekend from March until September. I tow about 3000 to 4000 miles a year.

My old 02 3/4 ton has 55,000 miles on it. Does exactly what I ask with little to no complaining.

As much as I give Toyota and Honda poop on here. They are fine. Just not my thing.

Ok let me get to my point.

Most current 1/2 ton trucks are almost as good as my 02 3/4 ton minus axles and payload.

I see ALL kinds of stuff towing travel trailers reliably to the campsite these days.

My main point is any half ton you buy right now is going to be a good truck. You just have to decide which one you are comfortable in.
smile.gif

Really as much as people on here bash one brand or another you really can't buy a bad vehicle anymore,...well I am not sure what they are selling in Russia.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back