Crush washers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BubbaFL
What kind of [censored] engineers design an oil pan drain bolt that requires a consumable washer?

Surprised there's not an aftermarket gasket of some kind that replaces the washer or bolt with a reusable part.

VW/Audi use this type of plug.
[Linked Image]

A few comments are referring to high-volume work, i.e. quick lube shops, and that's not the case. This was from a well-respected independent shop in the area.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
A few comments are referring to high-volume work, i.e. quick lube shops, and that's not the case. This was from a well-respected independent shop in the area.

It all comes down to the individual doing the work.

We purchased a used Buick 3.8i 2 summers ago . Went to change the oil . The drain plug was 13 mm hex . To close to some obstruction to get a ratchet & socket on . I tried a 12 point wrench . No go , even after beating on it , could not break torque .

Tried to find a 6 point wrench ( weekend ) locally . Finally used vice grips and after beating on it , got it loose . Purchased a new drain plug w/ gasket . Later I found a 13mm 6 point Craftsman combination wrench at Sears .

The oil was changed on this car , before we we took delivery . Must have been by a 500 pound gorilla ! :-( If I could have found him / her , I would have had some choice words to share !

Originally Posted by cpayne5
If it's a true crush washer, sure replace it every time.

If it's an aluminum or copper sealing washer, it doesn't need to be replaced every time. Honestly, unless it's abused, a sealing washer should last the life of the vehicle.

I agree, I suspect the factory service manual specifies per job replacement because they expect both abuse, and re-use without proper inspection.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
The shops and techs performing the service know to use a new washer. They just don't care. They also know that the bulk pack filters they buy by the pallet are bad. They also know that the oil coming out of the gun isn't the best for your car. Again, they just don't care. The companies make a huge profit, the managers get big bonuses. Employees get.....probably nothing special. An entire industry revolves around performing bad service - on purpose!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted by cpayne5
If it's a true crush washer, sure replace it every time.
If it's an aluminum or copper sealing washer, it doesn't need to be replaced every time. Honestly, unless it's abused, a sealing washer should last the life of the vehicle.

^ this
Crush washers like typically seen on spark plugs or transmission drain plugs. Definitely should be replaced and are cheaper than dirt.
Sealing washers like seen on differentials, transmissions and oil drain plugs can be reused or replaced... also cheaper than dirt. I have found that my oil drain plug sealing washer can be reused almost endlessly... if the specified torque is applied.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

It all comes down to the individual doing the work.

Amen +1

You can purchase a box of 50 from Clips&Fasteners for about .15 each so why shouldn't you replace the washer every oil change? And torque the drain bolt too if you have a torque wrench.

You can purchase a box of 50 from Clips&Fasteners for about .30 each so why shouldn't you replace the washer every oil change? And torque the drain bolt too if you have a torque wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back