Any larger alternative to Motorcraft FL820S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Plenty of room to go longer. Motorcraft only please.

Does a Fram XG2 fit … there would be more filter in around the same space

I remember they use to make it a little longer . I grap the last FL820s old version at Walmart , when they put up the new version . Keep it on a shelves .

NAPA Gold 1087. The bypass is 19 instead of 22 for the FL820S. 1.641" longer, 5.477 vs 3.836, same O.D. Gasket same size.

Last edited:
You don't need larger, just a better filter! 820S is the WORST MC filter in the lineup for tearing and general poor quality control problems.

Originally Posted by jongies3
You don't need larger, just a better filter! 820S is the WORST MC filter in the lineup for tearing and general poor quality control problems.

If it's good enough for Ford to put on cars under factory warranty it's good enough for anything I put it in.

There have been other threads throughout the years asking this same question …
I read a couple and they got nowhere

Einstein had a quote this reminds me of …

Originally Posted by atikovi

If it's good enough for Ford to put on cars under factory warranty it's good enough for anything I put it in.

Which do you want, a part that will last the warranty period, or a part that will last as long as you keep the vehicle?

If you keep the vehicle for just the warranty period, then fine, but if you keep it a lot longer, why use an inferior part?

I've read on the Mustang forums that the 500 is better than the 820. It will interchange but it's actually smaller. The bypass is lower on the FL-500s so that may explain why the 820 has issues with tearing.

Last edited:

150K and 126K on my 2 Fords that have NEVER in their lives worn a different filter than an 820S. UOAs show everything to be in fine shape so far. Funny how popular opinion of filter brands shifts on the board over the years.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
I've read on the Mustang forums that the 500 is better than the 820. It will interchange but it's actually smaller. The bypass is lower on the FL-500s so that may explain why the 820 has issues with tearing.

Well, the Mustangs (modern ones anyway) don't spec an 820 filter, they call for the 500 so that is probably why.

MC paper media is thin/weak … nobody can deny that. Other filters with similar designs use thicker media, synthetic blend, or both (Mobil)… they are not tearing …
Based on this fact the smaller MC's could have less leverage on the failure point …

I was able to tear all of these with little effort … not true of other makes …

Defend that white can all you want … but many of us have been seeing the truth

71F6F00E-C0D1-469E-BD64-8E300ACDE343.jpeg

Originally Posted by oldhp
NAPA Gold 1087. The bypass is 19 instead of 22 for the FL820S. 1.641" longer, 5.477 vs 3.836, same O.D. Gasket same size.

That's awesome...... but the micron rating is 25 microns..... not so great

It's best to just use a Fram XG2 .... that's a much better design/better filtration

Originally Posted by blupupher
Which do you want, a part that will last the warranty period, or a part that will last as long as you keep the vehicle?

Don't know about you, but I usually change the filter more than once while I keep the vehicle.

Originally Posted by 4WD
MC paper media is thin/weak … nobody can deny that. Other filters with similar designs use thicker media, synthetic blend, or both (Mobil)… they are not tearing …
Based on this fact the smaller MC's could have less leverage on the failure point …

I was able to tear all of these with little effort … not true of other makes …

Defend that white can all you want … but many of us have been seeing the truth

What's the connection between good filtering qualities and easy to tear (I assume with your fingers which may have no bearing on its strength when in the case)? For all we know that thicker paper may have less overall square inches of media and not filter as good as the thinner style. I prefer OEM at least for visible parts for an original look.

Weaker is weaker … so you tell us why they tear …

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back