Do you label your oil filters when installing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by thooks
Tough to write on that Fram Extra Guard bed liner sprayed filter

You do realize the grip is not applied to the entire filter, otherwise FRAM would not be able to easily print information on the can of the filter

[Linked Image]

If I have a paint marker laying around, and if I remember, yes.

Even on Frams, but usually on the side of the can. Everything else gets marked on the dome.

Never. I won't look at my oil filter unless I remember to change it, and therefore it is pretty useless. If I have to write it down I'll put it somewhere I see every time I drive.

I started doing this on my mowers cause I forgot to write it down last time and I'm not quite sure I changed the oil in one or both

Originally Posted by MNgopher

The 16 F150 I cannot do this - they switched to the cartridge style filter (which I like).

https://owner.ford.com/

Your VIN can track everything you do at home and enter yourself, and whatever dealership visits which they enter.

Or just buy a bunch of Oil Change window stickers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JLTD
Nope, never have. Always used a notebook or spreadsheet.
Same here. I used notebooks on previous cars. For my present vehicle, I keep maintenance data in both a notebook that lives in the glove compartment, and in a spreadsheet, and in the ToyotaOwners web site (which realistically isn't worth the trouble) .

I see no point writing on a filter if you keep reasonable maintenance records, unless there was something unusual about that specific filter. Consulting whatever information is written on it might be difficult with the filter installed---especially with cartridge filters.

My father wrote the odometer reading in pencil on the valve cover after each oil change, after wiping off the number from the previous time. Sometimes on the (cartridge) filter housing, too.

Originally Posted by double vanos
I keep a spiral notebook too, with literally everything that needs noting on the car - wipers, rotations, trans swaps etc. Even adding floor mats or bed liners ! And of course mark the filter too. Was just wondering if I'm the only one doing it.

You're not alone. I have a book I keep in a garage cabinet with dates, mileage, and details of anything done to the cars. I also have a sheet taped up with preferred tire pressures.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
Originally Posted by MNgopher

The 16 F150 I cannot do this - they switched to the cartridge style filter (which I like).

https://owner.ford.com/

Your VIN can track everything you do at home and enter yourself, and whatever dealership visits which they enter.

Or just buy a bunch of Oil Change window stickers.

Or just use the OLM which is built into the truck. No junky stickers needed.

The rest of the post that you didn't quote mentions that I keep track of things elsewhere as well...

i used to on my Ram .I dont on my Tundra .But at work i do on all the machines i service.Date and hours when it was changed

Nope, I just get a bunch of those oil change reminder stickers from O'Reilly's and put those in the window with the mileage for when the next OCI is due! Fram filters don't really lend a lot of writing surface. The only filter I write on is the one for my Kubota front end loader, I write the hours when it needs changed on that one. But since it's exposed to the elements all the time, I use one of those paint pens because sharpies will fade away by the time it comes due.

Most of our equipment has a maintenance minder but I still write engine hours on the filters if it has a spin on. John Deere's 8R tractors have cartridge oil filters, so you just have go to by what the computer says.

I like to mark the date on pickup oil filters, but I forget to half the time.They all have oil life monitors anyways, and I trust them.

I use Army surplus filters I found in Montana. Bought all they had (14 cases of 24) They have a place on them for writing the date so when in doubt all I have to do is crawl under the car and check to see if a change is due.
[Linked Image]

Spray your installed oil filter with a bright color spray paint, or mark it somehow, if your next oil change is at the dealership. I suspect my old oil filter was never changed, wish I had marked it to be sure, when going in for the awful "free" oil change at the Chevy dealership.

I just rip off the top of the oil filter box and record all the info on the back side with a sharpie (date, mileage oil used and quantity) along with the store receipt of purchase staples to it.
I have one draw in my tool box just oil changing tools that I store em in until next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back