Crush washers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had a few Honda vehicles over the years and for crush washers, I'd either change it each time or I'd flip it and re-use it once. Never had a problem and didn't feel the need to be cheap by not buying them. So, our son just recently bought his own Honda ('12 Accord, EX-L, V6) that was dealer-maintained for it's first 70k miles and then, the previous owner started taking it to an independent shop. I guess they are too cheap to buy crush washers, don't work on enough Hondas to bother (unlikely nowadays), or who knows. Anyway, we went to do the first oil change and I ran into my first "gorilla" tightening of the drain plug. It was 90º so we weren't going to go to all sorts of measures getting it removed plus I was afraid of rounding it off and not having a replacement drain plug. Put it off until the following day after buying a replacement. Then it took a breaker bar + an extension to get it off !

There was some oil "trail" on the pan so I'm willing to bet it leaked slightly and their solution was just tighten it more. I'm not sure what people think about this drain plug but I'd call it "slightly rounded". The crush washer though ? It's classic !

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheesh, I'm surprised they didn't pull the threads out of the pan.

I'll generally reuse the washers for some time, but I do eventually replace them. Maybe every 5-6th change. Never seen one squashed that bad though.

I keep a couple of Honda Acura oil drain bolts on hand.
After breaking torque, if I can't easily spin 'em out I use a new one.
Replaced 2 in the last month...

Why people butcher these things is a mystery to me. Sheesh.
I pretty much hate quickie lubes but see why people use 'em.

Last edited:
What kind of [censored] engineers design an oil pan drain bolt that requires a consumable washer?

Surprised there's not an aftermarket gasket of some kind that replaces the washer or bolt with a reusable part.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
My original 170k mile crush washer on my Mazda 3 would probably look similar if I decided to remove it, but since it doesn't leak I'm being cheap.
The original aluminum washer on my Mazda still didn't leak at 600k miles, although by then it was thinner than it started. The plug and pan threads were still like new.

Bizarre how some people feel a need to prove their manhood by grossly overtightening innocent car parts.

Last edited:
I've seen all combination of stripped thread, rounded hex on drain plug, mangled washer, Loktite, and PTFE thread seal. All because a "professional" is not changing the crush washer. Impact tools to slam it on tighter. Plumber thread seal tape. Loktite. Every way possible to screw uo the customers' cars. Instead of doing it right. The washer cost how much? So if that shop does 5 million oil changes, the owner made $1 million. And it's at the cost of your car.

I got tired of having this debate so a while back I bought 2 10 packs of Nissan OEM crush washers, $10 and now I never have to think about it again and just use a new one every time for the life of the car.

Originally Posted by GZRider
I got tired of having this debate so a while back I bought 2 10 packs of Nissan OEM crush washers, $10 and now I never have to think about it again and just use a new one every time for the life of the car.

I bought a dozen from a dealer years ago and I'm down to (1) remaining. They charged me a quarter each and I knew that was lower than normal, so I asked for more than I originally went in for ! I won't be buying them from at least one of the Honda dealers in the future though. Our son wants to use Honda filters so I called a dealer for the price of one - they said $8-9, which was fair enough. I said "it comes with a crush washer, right?" and he said no and they cost $3.75 each ! I actually laughed at him and asked him if that price was right and he said it was. Told him "no thanks" and sent our son to Autozone to get a Honda filter....

I buy them on ebay for cheap. I just don't get the lack of intelligence in these quick lube places. They get poor help and the employees could care less is my answer. I am happy to do my own oil changes knowing it's done correctly.

Originally Posted by GZRider

+1 especially for Nissan/Infiniti and Subaru washers, which really crush when you tighten them. I just don't understand car enthusiasts being so cheap as to skimp on drain plug washers.

Yikes! That's why I do my own oil changes. I bought 30 washers from the Honda dealer several years ago, the parts guy looked at me like I was nuts. At the time we had 2 Hondas in the family, and my bike takes the same one as well. So I've used a bunch of them, and haven't run out yet.

If it's a true crush washer, sure replace it every time.

If it's an aluminum or copper sealing washer, it doesn't need to be replaced every time. Honestly, unless it's abused, a sealing washer should last the life of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
If it's a true crush washer, sure replace it every time.
Honda says replace it .... every time.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by KrisZ
My original 170k mile crush washer on my Mazda 3 would probably look similar if I decided to remove it, but since it doesn't leak I'm being cheap.
The original aluminum washer on my Mazda still didn't leak at 600k miles, although by then it was thinner than it started. The plug and pan threads were still like new.

Bizarre how some people feel a need to prove their manhood by grossly overtightening innocent car parts.

+1

The shops and techs performing the service know to use a new washer. They just don't care. They also know that the bulk pack filters they buy by the pallet are bad. They also know that the oil coming out of the gun isn't the best for your car. Again, they just don't care. The companies make a huge profit, the managers get big bonuses. Employees get.....probably nothing special. An entire industry revolves around performing bad service - on purpose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back