Shell Rotella Gas Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks:

Sorry to bring this up again. I have searched the forums the best I could, but couldn't find an update if anyone ever got some more information on this oil. The last post I was able to find was around the end of February of this year. As of then, many assumptions on the oil, but no real data yet. I also couldn't find a PDS on Shell's website for the oil.

Any UOA or VOA our there yet?
Any more info? PDS?

Mainly looking for 5w-30

Speculations that it was thicker and possibly contained more moly than PP.

Apologies in advance if there was more recent info that I was unable to find.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Try this on google.com:
rgt voa site:bobistheoilguy.com

Wow. There it was, a VOA in March 2019. Thanks for the search tip.

Snagglefoot had an interesting comparison
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here is how Rottela Gas Truck stacks up against some other SOPUS products including the new Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. Let me know if you see any errors. Some Data is missing and all the data is taken from VOAs from this forum.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Floyd1
Hello folks:

Sorry to bring this up again. I have searched the forums the best I could, but couldn't find an update if anyone ever got some more information on this oil. The last post I was able to find was around the end of February of this year. As of then, many assumptions on the oil, but no real data yet. I also couldn't find a PDS on Shell's website for the oil.

Any UOA or VOA our there yet?
Any more info? PDS?

Mainly looking for 5w-30

Speculations that it was thicker and possibly contained more moly than PP.

Apologies in advance if there was more recent info that I was unable to find.

Subie did a lot work on this oil
The info is out there on this site

Makes me wonder how millions of half ton trucks ran before this came on the market.

Is it hokum? I bought some. Great deal with the rebate. Now I am in angst waiting for my check.

Here is how Rottela Gas Truck stacks up against some other SOPUS products including the new Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. Let me know if you see any errors. Some Data is missing and all the data is taken from VOAs from this forum.

[Linked Image]

Very interesting. Seems RGT & QSUD are very similar.

Would the TBN of the RGT be considered low? What's an average TBN for a 5w-30?

Last edited:
Floyd1, I'm not so sure Rotella Gas Truck is that similar to QSUD as you observed. Shell said something about anti-oxidants being more or newer or better in the newer RGT. There is a lot we can't see from a VOA.

Originally Posted by Floyd1

[Linked Image]

Very interesting. Seems RGT & QSUD are very similar.

Would the TBN of the RGT be considered low? What's an average TBN for a 5w-30?

Could be some magical stuff we dont know about. I've seen Dino oils with better TBNs, I'm pretty sure Pennzoil Conventional and QSGB have a better TBN. But who knows how quickly it lowers right now? VOAs mean squat, I'll wait until the UOAs start trickling in

Those low sales numbers must have pushed SOPUS into expanding the viral marketing budget a bit more.

You can't blame them for trying to create a market demand. Here is a product which is trying to carve a new niche. Maybe not here, but there must have been some truck owners who wanted an oil of their own. After all, they didn't just fly off the handle with this. There must have been some market research.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Makes me wonder how millions of half ton trucks ran before this came on the market.

Of course, that's not what it's about. It's about being able to buy a dexos1 licensed product from the same distributor you buy HDEO, and the same brand name. Note that up here, not all Shell distributors are permitted to sell Pennzoil and Quaker State, for instance, and Formula Shell has no dexos1 license. The Shell ROTELLA Gas Truck would be, for me, a handy choice for any gasoline vehicle, truck or not, particularly if it called for dexos1.

The flow chart cracks me up.

Do you haul or tow?: NO
Well, it really should be YES and you need to buy this motor oil.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by DoubleNickels

Of course, that's not what it's about. It's about being able to buy a dexos1 licensed product from the same distributor you buy HDEO, and the same brand name. Note that up here, not all Shell distributors are permitted to sell Pennzoil and Quaker State, for instance, and Formula Shell has no dexos1 license. The Shell ROTELLA Gas Truck would be, for me, a handy choice for any gasoline vehicle, truck or not, particularly if it called for dexos1.
I agree. If I were a fleet mechanic of trucks for a company. I buy my oil from Rotella. My job also requires me to maintain a few company cars as well. Now I don't have to specially buy oil at an auto parts store for those few cars. Rotella got me covered, just like the old days.

Curious about the high levels of calcium as this has been correlated to LSPI. Would that not be a possible problem in a truck engine starting out pulling a trailer or hauling a heavy load in the bed? Seems to me it would.

Yeah … I have two DI engines … and looking at the side by side … just as well give up the macho label, the PUP hassle … and get PP in 5w30 or M1 in 0w20 (if GM 5.3L) …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back