Which brand for strut mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by The Critic
From your background, I thought you had a basic understanding of how a vehicle's suspension system works...

From what Scotty Kilmer says, there's rubber in the mount where the center rod protrudes through. When that rubber wears out, the strut rod will no longer stays centered; causing alignment issues and noise. Mine are in good shape from what I can tell, but was considering replacing the mounts anyway as preventative maintenance. I may hold off while I verify that all the aftermarket mounts are garbage. So far, I've read complaints about both KYB and Moog on Amazon, but I can't find any reviews on Sachs.

Sachs makes a fair bit of OEM stuff, so if I had to pick any of them besides OEM, it would be Sachs. Of course, there's always the concern that they didn't bother making them themselves and sourced them from elsewhere.

I struck gold with some information gleaned from the Pontiac Bonneville forum. Apparently, GM came out with a new upgraded mount; it's part number 19208376. That part number gets you a new design with the bearing and mount all in one piece. And another thing: GM 19208376 cross references over to a MOOG K160213. And then MOOG K160213 cross references over to a KYB SM5609. So that means that most of the aftermarket mounts are based off the old design with the separate bearing: GM 88946477.

GM 19208376 > MOOG K160213 > KYB SM5609

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I took a chance and ordered some ACDelco mounts off eBay. I can get two mounts for $120. The dealer route is $300 plus tax.

Just be aware there are several levels of quality with delco. Delco advantage is the cheapest, probably reboxed similar to dorman. Delco professional which is somewhat better. There there is AC/Delco OE which is what came on the car.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Just be aware there are several levels of quality with delco. Delco advantage is the cheapest, probably reboxed similar to dorman. Delco professional which is somewhat better. There there is AC/Delco OE which is what came on the car.

I ordered the ACDelco 901-045 because it has a yellow bearing like my originals. Most of the aftermarket mounts will have a black bearing.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back