'19 Mustang GT Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought myself a new Mustang over the weekend; first V8...figured I'd better get in while they still exist. This has the Gen 3 (2018+) Coyote 5.0 engine which has no shortage of ticks/rattle reports, which I don't doubt are somewhat real, but question how overblown it is (they sell a *lot* of these engines - they cannot all be failing..right?). Engine utilizes Direct Injection + Port Injection.

Ford calls for 10 quarts of 5W20 for street use, and the car has an OLM that from what I've read may run out to 10000 miles. My plan is to leave the factory oil in for 5-6K then dump it, assuming that's under the OLM recommendation. After that, I'd like to run a reasonably priced synthetic (10 quarts..is a lot!), and am thinking I probably cannot go wrong with most offerings, but am curious what may be the thickest 5W20 that's widely available.

Any input is appreciated!

Last edited:
Congrats on a new ride!

Originally Posted by climhazzard
, and am thinking I probably cannot go wrong with most offerings, but am curious what may be the thickest 5W20 that's widely available.

Doesn't the owner's manual list a particular Ford spec that the oil must meet? I'd stick to that, at least during warranty period.

Bought myself a new Mustang over the weekend; first V8...figured I'd better get in while they still exist. This has the Gen 3 (2018+) Coyote 5.0 engine which has no shortage of ticks/rattle reports, which I don't doubt are somewhat real, but question how overblown it is (they sell a *lot* of these engines - they cannot all be failing..right?).

Ford calls for 10 quarts of 5W20 for street use, and the car has an OLM that from what I've read may run out to 10000 miles. My plan is to leave the factory oil in for 5-6K then dump it, assuming that's under the OLM recommendation. After that, I'd like to run a reasonably priced synthetic (10 quarts..is a lot!), and am thinking I probably cannot go wrong with most offerings, but am curious what may be the thickest 5W20 that's widely available.

This thread asks a similar question. You might be able to find the info you're looking for in there.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Congrats on a new ride!

, and am thinking I probably cannot go wrong with most offerings, but am curious what may be the thickest 5W20 that's widely available.

Doesn't the owner's manual list a particular Ford spec that the oil must meet? I'd stick to that, at least during warranty period.

Just double checked the manual, 5W20 or 0W20 SN and WSS-M2C945-B1 or WSS-M2C947-B1. The latter I didn't know about, but from a quick Google doesn't seem too unusual. Thanks for pointing that out!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustN89
Bought myself a new Mustang over the weekend; first V8...figured I'd better get in while they still exist. This has the Gen 3 (2018+) Coyote 5.0 engine which has no shortage of ticks/rattle reports, which I don't doubt are somewhat real, but question how overblown it is (they sell a *lot* of these engines - they cannot all be failing..right?).

This thread asks a similar question. You might be able to find the info you're looking for in there.

Awesome, thanks!

Man, that car is so nice, I'd put in the BEST oil I could find. Consider Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w30 (gold 5-quart jug at walmart or amazon, etc.) with it's titanium FM/AW. I was impressed with it's very good 15 micron score on the Sequence IVA test, and Castrol is known for great oils as well.
It's fine to use a 5w30 in that, especially in the summer, as it's only 12% HTHS thicker than the Owner's Manual 0w20 or 5w20 oil, not much thicker, but some extra margin, might reduce wear a wee bit. That only results in a 5% thicker oil film since it's about linear with the square root of HTHS.

Don't forget the best oil filter too: Fram Ultra has the best 4548-12 performance, and Motorcraft filters have been known to get holes in them, so easy decision.

Your plan to change factory oil is fine, yet I'd do it at 1,000 miles due to all the metal particles (PPM's shown on UOA's) in new engines.

As much as I'd love to run 5W30, I don't want to give Ford any reason to deny warranty coverage given the engines do have a history of issues.

I know Motorcraft filters are made by Purolater, but haven't seen much on them having holes...I thought they were fairly robust but will do some research.

Is your comment on the PPMs in new engines specific to the Coyote, or just in general suggesting dumping at 1K due to break in materials?

As much as I'd love to run 5W30, I don't want to give Ford any reason to deny warranty coverage given the engines do have a history of issues.
Understood. I do think the chances are very slim that (a) engine trouble due to oil; AND (b) they will care to blame the oil if it looks like it has been changed at all, but why not be careful here? Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w20 (gold 5-quart jug at walmart or amazon, etc.) would be my choice. Mobil1 Annual Protection 5w20 also good, Ravenol 5w20, all at the premium end.

I know Motorcraft filters are made by Purolater, but haven't seen much on them having holes...I thought they were fairly robust but will do some research.
Yep lots of reports here on bitog of problems. Ford even had a video made for their technicians I saw that said to look for parts of oil filter media breaking off and clogging VVT systems etc. on the engines! .....google purolator motorcraft tear oil filter ....... for lots of complaints.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-ford-admitting-to-their-filters-tearing

Is your comment on the PPMs in new engines specific to the Coyote, or just in general suggesting dumping at 1K due to break in materials?
General. Every engine, no exceptions, have elevated levels of iron, etc. running around in there. I put a magnetic drain plug (Dimple or GoldPlug) on a recent '18 Chevy of mine, and the usual iron fuzz appeared of course.

Congrats and enjoy....5w-30 would be my call....on my '13 F150 with the Coyote I got great results with a 30 grade (+UOA) and it ran fine on 0w-40 as well. Granted no DI there so YMMV.

You got plenty of oil in there I'm sure it will be fine on the 20.

Read my post about 30 grade in the other thread.

First hand experience in a stick car.

But that was the Modular not the Yot.

Worry more about the trans ....

What's the concern with the trans? Seems to be used across Ford and GM (joint developed) in some high horsepower vehicles. Sure has a lot of gears, but was built for the power.

Ford calls for 10 quarts of 5W20 for street use, and the car has an OLM that from what I've read may run out to 10000 miles.

FYI, the OLM on newer Fords also counts down ~2% a week even if the car isn't driven - that's how they get to a 1 year oil change on the OLM regardless of miles driven.

On my 2015 GT I did the first oil change at 2000 miles and put Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend back in. Then at 5000 miles I changed it again to 5W-30 Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 full synthetic (after researching many 5W-30 oils). Valvoline Advanced is ~$23 for a 5 qt jug at Walmart. Motor sounds better on the 5W-30 full synthetic. Running a 5W-30 all the time is not going to harm the Coyote, and as pointed out a slightly higher viscosity adds wear protection - that's why Ford recommends it for track use. If you plan on pushing the car some on the street then 5W-30 is a better viscosity choice. If you have read much on Mustang6G you'll see lots of guys there run 5W-30.

You will probably get a bit of fuel dilution (my '18 5.0L does) unless you regularly and consistently have long periods of at-temperature operation. To combat the unwanted (to me) viscosity reduction of a pure 5W-20, I use a 50/50 mix of 5W-20/30 of the same brand. Probably winds up on the boarder line of a 20 - 30 grade at temperature.

No way I would go 5 - 6,000 miles on the factory fill.

What's the concern with the trans? Seems to be used across Ford and GM (joint developed) in some high horsepower vehicles. Sure has a lot of gears, but was built for the power.

I dont know about current production quality,

But they used to be Chinese Nankang MT-82.

I had a handful of new GT's in the day fro early 80's through late 80's.
IMO only the Warner T-10 was solid - all the
T-5 super came apart at various time for various reasons.

and that was with the low horsepower
smile.gif

But I have rotten luck. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Plastic oil pan and plastic bung plug on that yote puppy. - NO FIELD BOMBING or JACKIN !

Congrats! I just got my used 18 (in sig) two weeks ago (though I just got it back from the dealer today after one week due to a surging, rough idle issue).

I'd run the factory fill as per manufacturer requirements.

The filter...maybe consider this: Filter Better filtration, higher flow, but more expensive.

I started a thread about 5w30s for the 5.0 (which sort of devolved): 5w30 oil

I don't know if you're going to do your own oil changes, but I'm considering this item so I don't have Exxon Valdez #2 on my driveway: Drain valve

Post a pic!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I dont know about current production quality,

But they used to be Chinese Nankang MT-82.

I had a handful of new GT's in the day fro early 80's through late 80's.
IMO only the Warner T-10 was solid - all the
T-5 super came apart at various time for various reasons.

and that was with the low horsepower
smile.gif

But I have rotten luck. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Plastic oil pan and plastic bung plug on that yote puppy. - NO FIELD BOMBING or JACKIN !

I failed to mention that I have the 10 speed automatic. I do recall reading about the issues with the manual build quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back