Tire dealer sold me 4 year old tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dubber09
I bought tires locally and online. If buying locally - check the manuf date before paying and taking them with you. If online - make sure it's a newer model and buying from a reputable outfit where you can send tires back at no cost in case there is an issue.
I get tires mounted and balanced at an independent shop due to return customer discount rate no other shops can beat.

edit:

So, recently bought General G-Max AS-05 for Forte from 4tires and they were made in 5018, very happy with price and shopping experience.
Also bought Sumitomo HTR Encounter HT from Amazon . com for Sportage and getting them delivered today, will pick them up at later date (in USA), very good price, $10/tire better than tirerack and free shipping, sold by amazon.

EDIT: corrections:

- Amazon price was $20 lower per tire
- G-Max were made 5017

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by CapriRacer
I've said this before, but the common belief within the tire industry is that even 6 year old, properly stored tires can be sold as "NEW" I say "belief" because I know of no data that supports this (I know of no data the contradicts this, either).

Is it the same industry that also advises to replace tires as early as after 6 years from date of manufacture if you live in a warmer climate?

I'm afraid the '6 year rule' if any, applies to some OE tires and not after market tires, IMO.

I have some warehouse experience and I can tell you that the warehouse floor employees don't need to care because there is management systems in place that does all the work for them.

I did ask someone I know who works at a tire warehouse to confirm and it's the same concept as I know; tires are sectioned out by date ranges on the floor after size; oldest tires in the batch always get sent out first. The scan gun will tell them what DOT codes to pick based upon the order too to ensure that inventory is used up.

As for 4 year old tires in the warehouse? He said that can happen with low volume specially tire sizes but usually that's an extreme exception; in his warehouse they hold for 2 years any tire but most tires find a home in less than 6 months.

Last edited:
I've noticed that some online sites that are not tire distributors end up with older tires, and some models that haven't been produced for several years. But when you are shopping for the cheapest possible tires, you sometimes just have to run what you got, or pay more.

Originally Posted by dubber09
EDIT: corrections:

- Amazon price was $20 lower per tire
…….

I hope everyone realizes that Amazon is in part a collection of retailers, NOT a single business. It does NOT operate like a brick and mortar store.

OK, OK, Amazon does have a base business that has warehouses, etc. but some of what gets sold is sold by a separate company THROUGH Amazon - and while Amazon does regulate the people who list products on their website, it is not at all like a brick and mortar store. There are folks selling stuff - including tires - who are wholesalers and the only way Amazon can control them is by who they allow to list on their website..

Absolutely, I buy lots of stuff on US Amazon and some on Canadian one due to price and selection and know all well actual sellers wary.
The tires I got had Simple Tire label along shipping and other ones. Mind you, the tires were 'shipped from and sold by Amazon'.
One thing that I like about buying 'sold by Amazon' is their way they deal with issues if any, they email you return shipping label and either refund or replace product without any fuss and quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back