Oil and filter 9000miles trip with 7000lbs trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 F150 V8. What oil you will recommend for 9000 miles summer trip East- West- East trip with 7000lbs travel trailer ,also by Canadian Rocky Mountain 2ways.
16000 miles on truck at the moment and will keep my F for next 10+ years .
Should I go with higher HTHS and viscosity oil fro that trip ?!
At the moment i'm running PUP 5W20 ( Ford specs ) with Purolator Boss filter . Will change oil after get to west coast.

I'd bump the PUP to the 5w30 and whatever filter suits your taste if it still falls under Ford specs and roll with it.
Safe travels!

Ford specs are minimum for daily driving. Go to the back of the the owners manual, and you will find maintenance schedule for severe duty. 5W-20 synthetic blend should be switched to full synthetic, and maybe even 5W-30. Although some people will say that the engine was engineered for the lower viscosity oil, and a thicker oil may be harmful.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I would change the oil filter with a Fram Ultra, much better filter than the Purolator Boss.

Both are good filters, both are different brands "top of the line" filters. Both will work for what hes trying to accomplish.

Plenty of 1/2 ton pickups in fleet/construction uses run with OEM spec Oils/Filters or even whatever is the cheapest. Some of these pickups go hundreds of thousands of miles without an issue. Either a Boss or a Ultra are gonna do the jobs they were intended to do

Last edited:
That is severe service. Why not change the oil at a predetermined point along the way? Towing 7000 pounds over the Rockies is hard work for any engine no matter what the commercials say.

Personally with that trip and towing, I'd use M1 or Edge 0w-40, if you do not care about the required weights. If you want to stick with a 5w-20, I'd get M1 EP or Castrol Edge, as edge is a very thick 20wt.

i see you are another brother from Ontario.
i'm from the east and have been on the 0w30 kick , easy winter starts even unaided down to -30 and more than ample summer protection.
Thinking i will stay with 0w30 from now on.
I'm sure its the best of both worlds for your up and coming trip.

Whatever brands grade and filter you settle on - you'll benefit from a magnet on the filter- or anywhere you can put one.

That little small block is going to be screaming its guts out and those cam chains and valve train flying- it behooves you to keep as much iron out of them as you can.

In my Nissan titan I run 5/10-30, or 0w40 , an ultra, a filtermag, and a magnetic drain plug. Mostly these brands- M1/M1EP/PP/Idemitsu
The titan is a shear beast as (Im guessing the coyote is as well especially with a DI pump) and it shears M1 0w-40 out of grade in 7500 miles of towing.

I haven't leaked it down but in 100K of mostly towing miles from 3500-9K through the brutal az desert - it still doesn't consume oil, smoke and mileage is identical to what it was at 3500.

UD

Iwould change the oil filter with a Fram Ultra, much better filter than the Purolator Boss.

Can you tell me more about the difference F ultra / P Boss, ( Media microns?! )

Originally Posted by MagneticFX
Iwould change the oil filter with a Fram Ultra, much better filter than the Purolator Boss.

The main difference is people have a hatred towards Purolator due to the semi recent tearing issues in their regular/classic filters.

As someone who's been on here since the days of "Use Purolator not Framz!" People are gonna say what they're gonna say, and there's always a slight bias toward one brand of oil or filter.

AFAIK, the boss hasn't had issues with tearing, and is more than likely just as good as a ultra in this case.

Find a ford spec 5w30, use it, with the hauling I'd find something with a good lump of Moly in it, which is more than likely going to be a SOPUS product

I'd use QSUD 5w30 or Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and a decent filter
In this case, if I did use a Fram, a tough guard will be both cheaper and more than enough for the job at hand.

I swear the love for fram ultras on here is crazy, they're good filters, but yeesh, people just say "filter" and people scream "FRAM ULTRAS!!" Y'all probably use them on your lawnmowers and weed trimmers too.

OP just find a filter rated for your severe service oci and call it a day.

Edit: now might even be a good time to try the new Rotella Gas Truck 5w30!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MagneticFX

Fram Ultra: 99.5% at 20 microns
Puro Boss: 99% at 32 microns
both using 4548-12
... and the Ultra is also 80% at 5 microns, unmatched by anything I've seen. They use a double-layer full syn media, depth filters it to get that performance.
Both filters appear to hold up well. I prefer the wire-backing on the Ultra over the Boss's plastic mesh backing.
Ultra wins.

If I were you, I would do the whole 9,000 miles (actually up to 10,000 miles) using Mobil1 Annual Protection 5w30 for the trip. No oil changes on vacation, that'd just be wrong. Don't forget to check oil level every 1,000 miles or so. You're not short-tripping it, so this is a breeze for Mobil's latest "20,000 mile" oil. Another good one is walmart's Castrol Edge Extended Performance gold jug 5-qt, also good for up to 20,000 miles, but I wouldn't take either past 10k miles myself.

A lot of comments about it being severe service, and therefore the oil needs to be changed at some short interval. Facts are it seems like nobody here actually looked at the severe service schedule for the truck.

The truck does have an OLM. Use it. Follow its change recommendation, which takes into account what others are saying with the engine running high revs, etc... Ford suggests that that under the conditions you are describing, you may expect the OLM to indicate an oil change between 5000 and 7500 miles for the conditions you describe. (The other items in the severe schedule are to change the transfer case fluid at 60k miles and more inspections. That's it for towing...)

As for the oil, I'd use a 5w20 meeting Ford specs with confidence. The engine has nearly an 8 quart sump. I used 5w20 with confidence in my previous Ford trucks, as did our fleet at work. Even the 6.8 V10 trucks were running 5w20 meeting low bid fleet spec, and we never had a lubrication failure in the Ford engines (I won't say the same for some Heavy Diesel Engines and older GM engines (454) in a Utility Body truck, but that's for another thread...)

MNgopher, something with more oxidation resistance than the low-performing baseline Motorcraft oil, that the OLM is making its guess for, should be used. That way the entire trip can be done on one very stable oil, not lesser oils that are not designed to hold up. Best out there for that are the Mobil1 Extended Performance or Annual Protection, and the gold jug Castrol Edge stuff, all made for long oil changes.

Sometimes things fly right over people's heads.

Use an oil and filter that meets the required specs, follow the olm, and sleep well at night. After managing a fleet of these things, the oil if it meets specs is the least of your problems.

You say it yourself - the OLM is calibrated to use oil that meets the specs.

Of course I forget, this is BITOG, where we've been making things more complicated than they need to be for years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back