Not caring enough about a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MrWideTires
I'm even considering using the used oil out of my STI, "Mobil Dos" and running it in the Civic.

That's genius.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Leasing only works for certain people and certain situations.

Don't take advice online. Talk to a financial advisor in real life. Reuse your oil.

Originally Posted by JoelB
Get off your high horses people. If you don't like vehicles being potentially neglected then don't buy a used one. Simple as that.

BITOG "neglect" is better than the average persons maintenance anyway.

This.. my "neglect" is still better than 95% of people's "i take care of my car".

Heck I'm even considering using the used oil out of my STI, "Mobil Dos" and running it in the Civic

Reusing your old oil from another car is better than 95% of peoples care? Some serious mental gymnastics going on there

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by bubbatime
If you are smart with finances, and save money ......you'll never ever lease a car.
Get back to us how you feel after you replace transmissions in your oldGMC/Pacifica/oldAcura fleet.....
Your 401K will be missing $10,000+.

Not to mention how much safer you're in a newer car, the only thing that's not replaceable is your life.

My thoughts:

Value oriented compact cars cost about $250 a month to own (minus fuel and insurance and maintenance)

If you are at that cost in a lease or a purchase, then you are doing fine. Your older purchase will need tires, brakes other wear items and possibly repairs expensed out of your "automotive" account. But you likely are not paying a loan off after 4 or 5 years and that money can be placed into the "account". Maybe you paid cash. (GASP!)

My 401K took a $24,000 dive in the past month due to market jitters
so I'm not going to worry about a thousand dollars one way or the other over 3 years.

I do worry about careless people in the store parking lot putting dents in the lease though.
That will come out of your hide when you turn it in.

I plan to put a spitzenklasse VW 508 synthetic + factory filter in my lease at 1/2 the recommended OCI interval.

Last edited:

Edit/addition:
Heck I'm even considering using the used oil out of my STI, "Mobil Dos" and running it in the Civic.
The STI is a weekend car that barely ever gets driven, so the oil comes out very low mileage and it's high quality. It gets drained cleanly from a Fumoto valve into an oil container.

Sounds like a great plan....ST isn't expensive, but M2 is even less so! Put a FU on it and run it 20k...

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by bubbatime
If you are smart with finances, and save money ......you'll never ever lease a car.
Get back to us how you feel after you replace transmissions in your oldGMC/Pacifica/oldAcura fleet.....
Your 401K will be missing $10,000+.

Not to mention how much safer you're in a newer car, the only thing that's not replaceable is your life.

How much safer? Is there some threshold to pass through? I mean, new cars are sold every year--no one is going to buy every year so as to "stay safe".

I'm not sure I feel safer in my 20 year old Camry, but I have to say, it's got better visibility than my '11 Camry. Let alone my Tundra!

As your list above of the positives of leasing says, there are a lot of "judgement calls" about what an individual person values. Like the safety thing, I also took into account a whole host of intangible value, what specific features are worth something to me.
For example, for the first 3 years of a new car's life, there is little maintenance to do, and reliability is high. Even the tires they put on the Equinox are good for 40k to 70k miles (70k treadwear warrranty), and my lease is out at 39k miles, so not even the $500 expense for new tires here, I like it. Under full warranty. .... No plugs, no brakes, no fluids except for easy oil changes, etc.

Some leasing deals are not any bargain, but many are. I do think you have to be careful about the deal, for sure. For example, the "new" form of lease deal is kinda expensive, the "Care by Volvo" car subscriptions may cross the line into way too much convenience for a high price.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
OT- One of many reasons I wouldn't touch a lease return with a 10' pole. Some people care about them, others don't, Why chance it?

Because sometimes you can luck out and find an off lease vehicle WITH a documented service history, like I did on my 2013 Accord.

Not to mention how much safer you're in a newer car,

Safety is 95% up to the operator, and there's a lot of distraction in newer cars that I suspect leads to accidents. There are a lot of different lease deals out there. In the distant past I leased a couple of Fords and at the time it was cheaper than purchasing a well used car. Plus, the dealer made it very pleasant. They told me to pick out a car and when I did they gave me a great price, and the paperwork took like 30 minutes. When I came back two years later they didn't even look at the car I was turning in and just told me to pick out another one. I was in and out of the dealer in 30 minutes again. Since then lease prices have gone up, mileage limits have gone down, and everything seems designed to make you overpay.

Back to this lease, taking the OLM to 0% and using the cheapest spec oil and filter is meeting the requirements. Used oil is not. A shame to care so little about the next owner for the small amount of savings.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I do worry about careless people in the store parking lot putting dents in the lease though.

Usually I sell off the lease to carmax or another dealer, and get money back.. plus once the papers are signed you walk away and never have to worry about getting billed later for tires or dents.

Originally Posted by JoelB
Get off your high horses people.

I call your high horse integrity. Apparently, this is the norm now.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Usually I sell off the lease to carmax or another dealer, and get money back.. plus once the papers are signed you walk away and never have to worry about getting billed later for tires or dents.

That's a sign of a bad lease. Means you paid too much for the lease. When you have an artificially high residual value, it doesn't make sense to sell it off privately, it's cheaper to turn it into the dealer. The manufacturer ends up taking two hits this way, but they like it because it's easier to hide in the books.

If you are using Mobil2 from a short trip turbo car before it is worn out, or SuperTech to 0%, it should still be good enough. Good enough to last till return and good enough for the next owner to last past warranty period, or 120k. There's enough safety margin involved to handle this.

When you lease a car you sign a contract that states you promise to care for the car according to the manufacture's recommendations. I'd follow the OLM and use the cheapest approved oil and filter and not think twice about it. No need for anything unnecessarily expensive but live up to the contract you signed.

You can certainly go to Supertech or whoevers cheapest but if you put used oil from another car in the Honda and then try to pass that off as having changed the oil according to the manual that's commonly know as fraud, or as the State AG and Police will call it, intent to defraud. If Honda discovers that they will likely call you and tell you that your options are to a) buy the car for residual+ $2000 b) they can contact law enforcement and lawyers and go from there. I've seen this happen to M.B. and Volvo customers when I sold, trying to rollback or fake an oil change history is big no no and the manufacturer will punish you if they catch you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back