Scratches and Swirl marks Black car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought every product that promises scratch and swirl removal from black cars, griots, chemical guy's, Andy's ect ect all say same thing. Are these products not working because I'm applying by hand and not orbital polisher? If so any suggestions on orbital polisher to buy that'll handle this job and be able to tackle regular waxing jobs? Thank you

Shurhold makes a few sizes of electric random orbital buffers. They are popular with the boating crowd and boat detailers. I am not sure who really makes them, I would guess either Milwaukee or Makita because they look similar, and are very high quality units. I have had the Dual Action Polisher (the original and least expensive) for over 10 years, and use it on my boat, cars, and my friends borrow it all the time.

https://shurhold.com/pages/buffers

I got a DA buffer at Harbor Freight for about 50 bucks and it works really well. I was surprised. That's what you need to remove swirls and a product called "3M Perfect It".

Last edited:
A quality DA polisher/buffer is a must. Read everything you can and dive into it. A black car is a full time job not a color. Trying to remove swirls by hand is pointless. For the beginner this is a good machine with a lifetime warranty:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/griots+garage+random+orbital.do

I suggest the one with the 25' cord but buy a 5" backing plate and 5.25" pads. You will need different pads for different uses. You will need way more pads than you realize. I've used up to 10 for a single job. As far as chemicals there are hundreds to choose from. Read, read, and read some more to educate yourself.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
A quality DA polisher/buffer is a must. Read everything you can and dive into it. A black car is a full time job not a color. Trying to remove swirls by hand is pointless. For the beginner this is a good machine with a lifetime warranty:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/griots+garage+random+orbital.do

I suggest the one with the 25' cord but buy a 5" backing plate and 5.25" pads. You will need different pads for different uses. You will need way more pads than you realize. I've used up to 10 for a single job. As far as chemicals there are hundreds to choose from. Read, read, and read some more to educate yourself.

This is good info and to add, reconsider the products and methods you are currently using that are causing the swirls to begin with.

Originally Posted by Xj40
I've bought every product that promises scratch and swirl removal from black cars, griots, chemical guy's, Andy's ect ect all say same thing. Are these products not working because I'm applying by hand and not orbital polisher? If so any suggestions on orbital polisher to buy that'll handle this job and be able to tackle regular waxing jobs? Thank you

Ditto on the DA polisher.

You mentioned waxing but my understanding is that waxing does not get rid of the scratches and swirls, that's the job for rubbing compound and polishing compound instead.

If you have the time, use the rubbing compound with a medium cutting pad and then move to the polishing compound with a polish pad.

If time is not in your favor, rubbing compound alone with give you 70% to 80% of the shine. I am speaking from experience here, when I took over my black Odyssey it had so much swirls that it looked the paint is frosted. Now I'm confident it can outshine a black Mercedes from the showroom.

Last edited:
I use Turtle Wax Jet Black on my Valkyrie (paint) and also my Honda Jetskis (fiberglass) and am always amazed. It covered a ton of scratches on the bottom of the skis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back