Not caring enough about a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys do about oil changes in leased vehicles?

I obviously care about my STI and Ascent.. they're owned, and I'm religious about maintenance on those cars.
But my Civic Si.. I cared about it for the first year because I thought I might buy it out after the lease, but recently I realized these cars have an issue with the AC and it takes the new R1234yf, so the compressors are a ticking time bomb which are super expensive to fix.

So now that I know I won't be keeping this car after the lease... I stopped caring. I'm thinking I'll ride out the oil til the OLM gets to 0%, regardless of whether it smells like fuel or not. It already gets Supertech and $1.80 filters from rockauto so it's not like I can go any cheaper..

Edit/addition:
Heck I'm even considering using the used oil out of my STI, "Mobil Dos" and running it in the Civic.
The STI is a weekend car that barely ever gets driven, so the oil comes out very low mileage and it's high quality. It gets drained cleanly from a Fumoto valve into an oil container.

Last edited:
I've considered selling my car and leasing one for this very reason. Cheapest oil at the longest allowable intervals with no guilt. No worry about missing a weekly car wash in the winter, no worry about idling too long. In my eyes a leased car is a tool to get from A to B.

What was your previous Oil Change Interval ? I recommend you continue that . Do unto others as you would have them do unto you .

This makes total sense and I agree with that plan. This is also the reason that I don't believe that buying cars off of leases is the deal that some people make them out to be.

Originally Posted by JoelB
I've considered selling my car and leasing one for this very reason. Cheapest oil at the longest allowable intervals with no guilt. No worry about missing a weekly car wash in the winter, no worry about idling too long. In my eyes a leased car is a tool to get from A to B.

Yeah I pretty much stopped washing it, might just do a quick wash once a month.

Reasons I like leasing a daily driver:

- Always have a warranty
- Never have to care much about it
- Always have the latest crash safety equipment
- Never pay full taxes on a car
- Experience something new every 3 years
- You can get insane deals
- Some cars can be sold off at lease end for a return of some money

Honda may never check when you turn in the car at lease end, but the smart play is to follow the owner's manual for oil change intervals AND recommended oil type. If you poured in used oil from a turbo engine, would you feel right showing them a receipt from 6-12 months ago? And if you did have an engine problem with oil that was used for 14-15K miles, would you want the hassle of defending yourself?

It's not worth it. It's cool to save money, but don't be foolish.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
What was your previous Oil Change Interval ? I recommend you continue that . Do unto others as you would have them do unto you .

Yes, at least maintain a respectable level of integrity. I could never understand people that destroy things because they don't own it. Very crass.

GM used to give free oil changes to an extent with leased vehicles. You just followed the OLM. Smart move on their part if they bought the leases back.

I hate having rusty vehicles and I hate working on rusty vehicles. It was very tempting for me to lease a Rogue or a Versa for
With that said, fiance has a 2017 Leaseon Sentra . It'll be turned in next year. We don't have any oil change receitps for it, but I have been doing every 5000 on the cheapest conventional 5w-30 I can find. I have been lucky the last time or two and it has been traveler conventional for $9.99 with a ST filter.

Unfortunately, I have two problems that keep me out of a lease: I drive too much and I am too hard on vehicles. I am on track to put 15000 miles on the Subaru this year. That's in addition to the 6000 or so on the pickup and 2000 on the Jeep. The interior on the Subaru is starting to show wear and tear from dump runs, lowes runs, camping trips and my 80 pound German Shedder. It's nice and clean, but starting to wear. I wouldn't want to deal with that in a lease.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Honda may never check when you turn in the car at lease end, but the smart play is to follow the owner's manual for oil change intervals AND recommended oil type. If you poured in used oil from a turbo engine, would you feel right showing them a receipt from 6-12 months ago? And if you did have an engine problem with oil that was used for 14-15K miles, would you want the hassle of defending yourself?

It's not worth it. It's cool to save money, but don't be foolish.

+1

Get off your high horses people. If you don't like vehicles being potentially neglected then don't buy a used one. Simple as that.

BITOG "neglect" is better than the average persons maintenance anyway.

Get off your high horses people. If you don't like vehicles being potentially neglected then don't buy a used one. Simple as that.

BITOG "neglect" is better than the average persons maintenance anyway.

This.. my "neglect" is still better than 95% of people's "i take care of my car".

Heck my sister's 05 Legacy 2.5i has 255k miles on original everything, never even changed the headgaskets:.. and that car has been a guinea pig for all kinds of testing and high schoolers driving it growing up.

i have entertained the thought on leasing. I love my own vehicles and have always looked at them as part of the family. Especially when we have had that exceptionally good vehicle. You know, the one that never gave you any problems(wear out items only) in over 10 yrs.

However, I am finding that vehicles have become more trouble prone for other reasons today than they did in years past. BIGGER problems. Trannies, electronics, difficult diagnosis, the expensive stuff that most of us can't do or repair.

Now that I am older/retired, I think of vehicles in a slightly different way. I just want to get in and drive however, I don't mind a little maintenance. Fluids, brakes etc. But, I don't want to be crawling under a car in the cold and busting my knuckles anymore. Like I said, I don't mind some maintenance.

However, I do believe Dave Ramsey in that, leasing is the single most expensive way to drive a vehicle. There's more to it than that and you'd have to read his book(s). But, I am in a decent situation and really, how many more years will I be driving in order of...how much is it going to cost me at my age till I can't drive anymore.

It's not as though I am starting at 18 or 20 yrs old and leasing till I'm 80 something yrs old. This is where over the lifetime, leasing will cost waaaaaaay more money to drive a vehicle.

If I'm going through the work of doing an oil change, I'm not putting used oil in there, considering how cheap oil is. At that point.. why change it?

I love when people try to justify leasing or buying new. It doesn't make sense financially. If that is what you like to do then good for you, it's your decision and you can do whatever the heck you want, but don't tell me it is a better financial option.
lol.gif
Just the full coverage insurance alone would be more than double what I pay on both my current cars, and I have a perfect driving record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back