Virgin Motorcraft 820 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but do they all cut open their oil filters after use to see what's going on?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Yeah, but do they all cut open their oil filters after use to see what's going on?

That's an easy answer

NO

Originally Posted by WellOiled
Thanks.

No problem. I don't even have a problem with the idea of going two OCIs on a filter, assuming it's somewhat reasonable with one's application. I'm used to changing each time, and it's not like on any of my recent applications that there's any problem getting to the filter. It's pretty bad that a "sports car" like the G37 has one of the least messy and most rapid, simple oil changes I've ever experienced in my life. The same goes for the old Audi. The OEMs would do well to look at those very simple designs. An oil change on a low to the ground G37 with a complicated, crammed in V6 should not be easier than on an F-150 with a 300 and acres of room under the hood.

Besides the little bit of spacing, it's another quality MC oil filter. If I had a vehicle that required this oil filter, I would definitely use it.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
With a 600hp motor and buddy's running 900hp engines
Why would you run a $4 dollar oil filter ?????
with the issues of some of the 820's we've seen
Why would you run a filter that has so called problems ???

Are there ANY reported engine failures from said "PROBLEMATIC" oil filter?
Until someone can prove that ANY MC oil filter has caused an engine failure, I will continue to use them.
34.gif
thumbsup2.gif

You can say that about any filter. Don't think that anyone's proved a Walmart filter caused failure either. Or Walmart would not be selling those filters. I would buy them, if they were the lowest price filter.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
Installed at the factory. Used for service by dealerships.

I bought a case back about 10 years ago, and I still have 6 left.

Of course there are better filters. Nobody would go out on a limb to say that Ford Motorcraft are the best.

These filters are not the same as what is installed at the factory.
FoMoCo filters are what is installed at the factory, and are made by Champ Labs (used to be Wix made).
Motorcraft Filters are the aftermarket OEM and made by Purolator.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

Until someone can prove that ANY MC oil filter has caused an engine failure, I will continue to use them.
34.gif
thumbsup2.gif

And that is a choice you have made after seeing the problems with them. That is fine.
Turning a blind eye to a manufacturing defect and choosing to use a filter that has a known defect are 2 different things.

I choose to not support a company that has not addressed a known issue (and a filter that does not filter as it is supposed to is an issue) for over 5 years, regardless if there is any "proven" failure because of it.

I've been using these on my cousin's Mustang GT because I always thought they weren't as prone to tearing as the regular Classics or Pure Ones. I guess I'll be finding something else to use next time. I have one in the garage that has only about 3,000 miles on it that I'll try to remember to cut open in the near future. In my experience Purolators tend to tear as they get closer to 5,000 miles as the ones I've seen with under 3k usually seem fine.

Originally Posted by ThirdeYe
I've been using these on my cousin's Mustang GT because I always thought they weren't as prone to tearing as the regular Classics or Pure Ones. I guess I'll be finding something else to use next time. I have one in the garage that has only about 3,000 miles on it that I'll try to remember to cut open in the near future. In my experience Purolators tend to tear as they get closer to 5,000 miles as the ones I've seen with under 3k usually seem fine.

The Purolator Tear Sheet had the most P1 tears, then Classic and followed by Motorcraft.

I used up my stash of Purolator made filters on 3000 mile/90 day oil changes. I did not have tearing issues in 3000 miles. Many ADBVs did demonstrate startup rattle.

Seems that it shouldn't take a blown motor to convince people to not use filters that have a record of tearing. But everyone has a different way of looking at things.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Seems that it shouldn't take a blown motor to convince people to not use filters that have a record of tearing. But everyone has a different way of looking at things.

I doubt that a small whole was the reason for the engine failing.

Last edited:
The guy's screen name is"blue oval". Leave him alone. You will never convince him to use anything other than OEM. I know guys with Hondas who are the same.

Originally Posted by WellOiled
New Motorcraft FL-820S was purchased in the last quarter of 2015 and carried date code 909031527. Filter constructed on Sep 3, 2015. About 4 months old. Stored in the house not in the garage.
I don't see an improvement in pleat spacing.

Beautiful oil filter! I would use them 7 days a week!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
Installed at the factory. Used for service by dealerships.

I bought a case back about 10 years ago, and I still have 6 left.

Of course there are better filters. Nobody would go out on a limb to say that Ford Motorcraft are the best.

These filters are not the same as what is installed at the factory.
FoMoCo filters are what is installed at the factory, and are made by Champ Labs (used to be Wix made).
Motorcraft Filters are the aftermarket OEM and made by Purolator.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

34.gif
thumbsup2.gif

And that is a choice you have made after seeing the problems with them. That is fine.
Turning a blind eye to a manufacturing defect and choosing to use a filter that has a known defect are 2 different things.

I choose to not support a company that has not addressed a known issue (and a filter that does not filter as it is supposed to is an issue) for over 5 years, regardless if there is any "proven" failure because of it.

It must be filtering correctly. I know of no engine failures.
Can you show ANY "proven" engine failures from "said problematic" oil filter?
36.gif

The referenced thread is not very convincing evidence. What is the "blown inner seal" referenced? ADBV valve tore? But then we read further and it wasn't the current filter but a previous filter recognized by what the bits and pieces clogging the passages looked like. Really? I have no doubt something happened, but it is hard to tell what from that thread.

Sad to see a 19k engine knocked out like that … I just gave the BiL 3 more XG10575's (lower PRV) from my stash so he never puts MC on his F150 …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back