OK to use this PSF on Hondas too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current ATF and most all other PSF are a significantly different viscosity from Honda's PSF. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't work in a Honda, but they're noticeably different.

I've used not-Honda PSF in a Honda before, but I don't have even 100k miles, never mind 1 million miles, of experience in multiple Hondas.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Some background, I've used both Bardahl for Honda and Prestone for Honda PSF, no issue at all. I don't know anything about topic fluid but it looks to be a full synthetic PSF. Prestone made a similar Asian labeled full synthetic PSF, it was pricey for aftermarket fluid. Iiirc, ~$6+ 12oz bottle. I think the fact that it's full synthetic, and identifies the temp range specification, is how they can show so many inclusive recommendations. For vehicles specing ATF, thinking comparatively it would be pricey. Now whether one would trust it in a Honda, a matter of choice. I wouldn't pay more for it than Honda oem PSF.

Older Hondas were adamant about OEM fluid only. I've seen MOC "universal" fluid go in at the dealer. Honda themselves in the newer owner's manual says regular PSF can be used but beware of a steering feel change.

Don't use ATF.

I didn't know Recochem did PS now too!

If it says Honda on it, is probably OK to use.

Napa has Idemitsu PSF at a fair price. It is probably the cheapest option for Hondas.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Canadian Tire Asian PSF

How can this product be safe for Honda when they are so specific when it comes to their PS fluid and the other makes listed on the bottle typically use ATF?

$26.29????

You can use other fluids. In my 97 Civic I've used Valvoline Max Life ATF. Currently using free Amoco Dexron II, I got from a girl at work. It was part of her Dad's hoard pile in his Garage from 1999/2000.

Don't use ATF.

What is going to happen if ATF i used?

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed Honda wants genuine Honda fluids everywhere including brakes, coolant etc.
Come on, really? Non Honda fluids should be replaced as soon as possible as they are temporary replacements. (In owner's manual)

Universal PSF is looking better after reading that. Certified branded PSF at CT is more affordable too.

I damaged a honda PS rack from non-honda fluid. I was using Amsoil, thinking, "surely this will be ok."

There is a friction member within the rack that slows it down or dampens its movement. This is a spring-loaded slug that rubs against the bottom of the rack. It has a tensioning adjustment. Around 90k I swapped the PS fluid with amsoil. At that time, the steering was heavy, and was stiff, presumably to give it a sport feel. By 115,000, the steering was as loose as a goose, to the point where rough pavement at highway speeds would completely unsettle the steering and the car would wander everywhere. Remember, the steering shaft is a spring as it passes through the torsion valve, and within the tolerance of that spring, without the tensioner in play, the rack is allowed to move until the valve and hydraulics catch it. No good at 60mph cracked pavement. I bought the rack tool and the torque wrench needed to re-tension the rack. No good - there was nothing left to re-tension.

I've had plenty of hondas that stayed with oem compatible fluid at this mileage and more, and never had this happen, so for what it's worth, that's my best guess as to what happened.

-m

Last edited:
I've posted this a long time ago. Once upon a time there was an aftermarket fluid blender making 2 kinds of fluid: for Honda and for everyone else. They have the data sheet online and I compared them: for Honda PSF is thicker and is loaded with detergents (Ca, P, Zn, etc). If you use non Honda PSF in Honda, it will leak out of somewhere like most people reported.

Last edited:
…. If you use non Honda PSF in Honda, it will leak out of somewhere...
Not 'ime'. Between two Honda applications one an 01 Civic with ~300k miles I'd guesstimate easily 200k+ mi. with aforementioned Bardahl and Prestone Honda, original pumps, zero issues. Well, 07 Accord had to have a pump hose replaced under recall, but unrelated to PSF used.

Possible the Civic pump will leak at some point now, be very difficult to attribute it to PSF.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I didn't know Recochem did PS now too!

If it says Honda on it, is probably OK to use.

Napa has Idemitsu PSF at a fair price. It is probably the cheapest option for Hondas.

Idemitsu PSF is good stuff its actually the same bottle has the honda bottle but a differnet sticker on the grey bottle....

also that fluid that guy is asking about.. I would only use it if I had nothing else to use....

Originally Posted by David1

Idemitsu PSF is good stuff its actually the same bottle has the honda bottle but a differnet sticker on the grey bottle....

Idemitsu is one of the OEM suppliers for Honda PSF and the DW-1 Automatic Transmission fluid.

Yes but the Idemitsu ATF is not the same as DW-1 as shown by VOA on here and as per Idemitsu themselves. Does Idemitsu say the PSF is actually the same as Honda or just suitable for?

Originally Posted by Sayjac
…. If you use non Honda PSF in Honda, it will leak out of somewhere...
Not 'ime'. Between two Honda applications one an 01 Civic with ~300k miles I'd guesstimate easily 200k+ mi. with aforementioned Bardahl and Prestone Honda, original pumps, zero issues. Well, 07 Accord had to have a pump hose replaced under recall, but unrelated to PSF used.

Possible the Civic pump will leak at some point now, be very difficult to attribute it to PSF.

Non Honda type fluid, Prestone and Bardahl are both Honda type, so they are fine. I'm talking about the typical ATF equivalent PSF, they will leak.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Canadian Tire Asian PSF

How can this product be safe for Honda when they are so specific when it comes to their PS fluid and the other makes listed on the bottle typically use ATF?

Earlier Honda's used an 11.5 cSt fluid for their PS.

Some of the later Honda's are using a thinner (6.5 to 7.5 cSt) PS fluid.

Don't assume simply because other makes have specified ATFs for their PS fluid that any old ATF can be used in all Honda's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back