2 Million Mile Detroit Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by Bill7
The oil used is unimportant. How frequently he changed the oil is important.

Every 12,000 miles or close to it

That's stupid and wasteful to change it that often in a big rig.

I want to SEE what his main bearings look like. Has he EVER rolled in new ones?

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
See, when you said Detroit Diesel I thought you were talking about a 2 stroke and this was a trick question.

Detroit Diesel according to some and for sure the older guys
Probably the best Diesel ever made

The 92 series were nice all others sucked. Drive one coast to coat for several trips then talk about how best the engine was.

The Caterpillar 3406, Cummins 855 big cam and the Detroit 60 series were 3 of the best class 8 truck engines ever built! I owned 2 of the big cam Cummins. Tighten up the bottom end every 250,000 mi, run an overhead "valve adjustment" at the same interval, change the oil every 15,000 miles and one million miles was easy on any of these 3 engines. At one million miles do an in frame rebuild then they're good for the second million! My 400 Cummins held 44 qts of Rotella T4 back in the day. Cat discontinued class 8 truck engines when the epa mandated the regen emissions systems. If I had my choice of engines it would be the old Cat 3406B mechanical type. My brother owned a Detroit 8V 71 two stroke. Best sounding Diesel engine ever along with the 12V 71, but was a total piece of junk leaker as all v series Detroit's were.

No rods and mains or inframe in that time? That would be pretty good for a Detroit. I dropped a factory reman 12.7L Detroit 60 in my 2013 Freightliner new truck that was ordered from the factory without an engine. I am at 978,000 miles on it now. Roughly 22,500 mile / 450 hr OCI's. Schaeffer oil. Uses about 1 qt per 11,000 miles currently. Pretty much been that rate since I installed the engine. It has never come close to the add mark on the dip stick over an oil change period. Samples always look good. Just changed oil and sent in a sample Saturday.

Or
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
No rods and mains or inframe in that time? That would be pretty good for a Detroit. I dropped a factory reman 12.7L Detroit 60 in my 2013 Freightliner new truck that was ordered from the factory without an engine. I am at 978,000 miles on it now. Roughly 22,500 mile / 450 hr OCI's. Schaeffer oil. Uses about 1 qt per 11,000 miles currently. Pretty much been that rate since I installed the engine. It has never come close to the add mark on the dip stick over an oil change period. Samples always look good. Just changed oil and sent in a sample Saturday.

TT, Can you still buy new glider kits as Well?

Two stroke Detroit's leaked oil BY DESIGN. Being a two stroke the piston oil rings slid past the cylinder liner intakes and leaked oil into the air box. There were drains at the rear of the air box/engine block that let that oil out onto the road. EPA killed the two stoke Detroit's. The Series 60 was contracted to John Deere for the design. The 3406 Cat was my favorite engine but very expensive to rebuild. All parts had to come from Cat. No aftermarket.

One of the best oils on the market

You guys made me go look up a video of the Detroit just to hear the sound LOL. You are right. Sounds pretty mean.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Or

TT, Can you still buy new glider kits as Well?

Yes. The only limit is any shop putting them together can only build 300 per year. I am sure that there is a loophole that they have found to play with that number.

2 million miles is A LOT of miles. Neighbor has a 2007 5.9 Cummins Ram 2500, he used to drive OTR with CAT and Cummins motors. Said Delvac was simply the best diesel engine oil for longevity. He uses Delvac 1 5w40 exclusively in his 5.9 with 278,000 miles. Got me started with Delvac myself, Who knows if Delvac is the best, probably just comes down to proper maintenance and oil changes.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
The Series 60 was contracted to John Deere for the design. .

Where did you hear that one? That is absolutely not true. John Deere to this day would not where to start to design a unit injector engine, or one with an overhead cam. The Series 60 was designed at Detroit Diesel by an ex-Cummins engineer that originally designed an OHC prototype engine called the Delta, which Cummins did not proceed with.

Last edited:
The S60 engines are easy to work on especially the pre EGR motors. The DDEC V seem to be a little harder on headgaskets that previous generations though. At least the 14L engines anyway. Overall they are a very reliable engine. Fire apparatus applications put their reliability to the test, however.

Originally Posted by A_Harman

Where did you hear that one? That is absolutely not true. John Deere to this day would not where to start to design a unit injector engine, or one with an overhead cam. The Series 60 was designed at Detroit Diesel by an ex-Cummins engineer that originally designed an OHC prototype engine called the Delta, which Cummins did not proceed with.

It was in all the trucking mag's in the 90's when I was a class 8 mechanic...

Here is a review for Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 on Amazon. The reviewer said he has reached two million miles as well.

Here is a cop and paste of the review.

"As a professional truck driver I want to get the most out of my trucks this is the oil I use to get the most out of my engine life. My 2007 Freightliner classic XL is a 60 series Detroit and holds 13 gallons of oil. Using this oil I went three times longer between oil changes. At over 2,005,000 miles I decided to buy a new truck and when they seen my records on my trade they couldn't believe how clean and tight the engine was with no major repairs ever. Still didn't need to be overhauled. Now I'm using this oil in my 2016 western star with a DD15 and going 100,000 miles on each oil change and having the oil tested by (clean air fleet oil company ) and they say it doesn't need to be changed yet. This is what you use when you want your stuff to last. "

The link to the page.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-112825...eviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=3

We used to run a group of EMD 16's and 20's …
but they have been phased out by CAT C280-16's or Wartsila …

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Arguably the best sounding Diesel is an EMD 16X645. And yes, it's a 2-stroke.

Here's a trio of 567's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJjJPEGV22c

Pure and simple, just a marvelous sound.

My last job was at a tourist railroad that had a few roots blown 567s and 645s... I could fall asleep to those things idling. Now the screaming turbos I wouldn't mind torching.

It was in all the trucking mag's in the 90's when I was a class 8 mechanic...

I worked at GM in the early '80's at Detroit Diesel-Allison, and read about their initial development efforts on the S60 in 1983-ish in the division newspaper.
Then I worked at John Deere in the late-80's, and didn't hear a peep about Detroit Diesel S60 work right up to the time it was introduced in 1988.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back