Front Tire punctured At 65 MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was riding today to Indiana to visit family on my XSR900 and must have picked up a nail in the front tire. Lost all ability to lean at 65MPH, so I eased it down to a stop on the shoulder and found a fairly large hole in the center of the front tire

I'm so impressed by how strong and stiff the sidewalk is on the Continental Road Attack 3's I'm running. The strength of the sidewall was a huge factor in turning a sketchy situation into one that was fairly uneventful. I was able to get help and plug the tire to get home. Ordered a new Conti to stick on this week.

I've attached a photo of the bike as I was waiting for assistance. You can see the front tire is fairly stiff with 0 air in it. Highly Impressed.

Stay safe out there, and buy premium tires!

A266110F-2BA7-4887-938D-7A6E5FC77956.jpeg

Great that you made it through safely! I've only been riding steady for three years but I've wondered what a flat feels better like.

I had an XSR900 and they are fun bikes. When I test rode it it had me giggling like a school girl!

Tomorrow I'm dropping the wheels for my 2014 VSTROM 1000 off to have the new Trail Attack 3 installed and I hope that tire behaves the same should a puncture happen.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Beyond awesome that you're telling this story and not one of a wrecked bike and injuries. Good skills & equipment.

Are stiff sidewalls normal on performance tires?

It depends on the theories subscribed to by tire engineers. Bridgestone high performance street tires have an even stiffer casing than the Continentals I've ridden. The stiffest being their Sport-Touring tires.

Not so bad on a tubeless, deflation rate is pretty well controlled. Tube tyres deflate suddenly...I've had a couple of tube 21'' puncture on me at speed - a hairy ride, but got stopped safely.

Good job riding it out. I see Frosty the Snowman looking at your XSR with a smile in the back horizon.
grin2.gif

I've been lucky. Never had a blowout, all my flats were waiting for me in the garage!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Good job riding it out. I see Frosty the Snowman looking at your XSR with a smile in the back horizon.
grin2.gif

Ohhh that's pretty Creepy looking. Nice imagination there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back