Toyota Extended Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone bought Toyota Extended Warranty? We recently purchased 2019 Sienna, we do drive a lot so its good to have one for us. Manufacturer 3/36k will go out the window in a year and half.

When i was looking for Ford Warranty couple years ago, it was a lot easier to find deals online (factory warranty) But i dont see that in Toyota world.

Let me know if you know any site beside third party...

Btw my dealer wants $1800 for months.

Thank you

Last edited:
Jeez, you get screwed in the US with warranties - Toyota's here have a 5 year/unlimited kilometre bumper to bumper warranty, extended to 7 years on the engine and driveline as long as servicing has been done by the book.

On the hybrid's, subject to an annual "Hybrid Health Check" (don't know what that entails or costs), the battery warranty is extended 10 years/unlimited kilometres.

The question needs to be asked of Toyota USA why they don't do the same?

First you can negotiate that warranty price to potentially 60% of asking if you are purchasing car. Afterwards not sure.

That all being said lets say you spend $1500. What is the likely hood you'll have $1500 in repairs, not high. Let say you encounter a $1700 repair. Big deal you gained only $200.

Side note Self insure! My wife and I do that with everything into a central account for earmarked for fix it fund. I think we have well over $4000 putting $75/month in it over the years and dip into for whatever breaks: car, phone screen, boiler

Originally Posted by hpb
Jeez, you get screwed in the US with warranties - Toyota's here have a 5 year/unlimited kilometre bumper to bumper warranty, extended to 7 years on the engine and driveline as long as servicing has been done by the book.

On the hybrid's, subject to an annual "Hybrid Health Check" (don't know what that entails or costs), the battery warranty is extended 10 years/unlimited kilometres.

What does a Toyota cost where your at?

I've never bought a extended warranty. They are stealership money makers. The restrictions and clauses in those contracts give them many ways to get out of paying.

The 3/36 should be bumper to bumper. Doesn't the Powertrain extend beyond that? Safety and pollution equipment are usually covered longer as well by law.

I bought one with my Avalon. What a waste of money. 8 years later and not a single thing has broken on the car. Just oil changes, three sets of tires, and 3 batteries. It even has the original brakes.

Originally Posted by s2krunner
Anyone bought Toyota Extended Warranty? We recently purchased 2019 Sienna, we do drive a lot so its good to have one for us. Manufacturer 3/36k will go out the window in a year and half.

When i was looking for Ford Warranty couple years ago, it was a lot easier to find deals online (factory warranty) But i dont see that in Toyota world.

Thank you

Sent PM.

I bought the Chrysler extended warranty with my 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL Plus through the Hyundai dealer for $2,500, bumper to bumper for 10/100k with no deductible and includes oil changed every 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Originally Posted by hpb

What does a Toyota cost where your at?

Which particular model? Generally speaking, they're on par with their competitors - most of which also have at least a 5 year warranty.

12 years with a Toyota and I'm going to have my first non maintenance repair for an alternator replacement. You don't need an extended warranty.

my good customer works at that dealership for service manager. He actually recommended it, since Sienna has many electric stuff so it can be worth of money in future since we drives a lot. (He told me before i even thinking about buying Sienna)

I dont worry about powertrain with Yota, its just many technology stuff. But yeah, if its cost a lot like my dealer asked for then no. I think ive paid $800? for my Explorer (5/100 miles) so i think its worth to checking before say no.

I think $500~$1000 is not too bad but if it goes way more then probably i wont buy it.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I bought the Chrysler extended warranty with my 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL Plus through the Hyundai dealer for $2,500, bumper to bumper for 10/100k with no deductible and includes oil changed every 5,000 miles.

And since there is already a 5/60K bumper bumper you actually got 5/40K.

10/100K already exists on powertrain.

Dealer won.

Last edited:
You used to be able to buy it online. Toyota made the change a few years ago and now you have to buy at a local dealer or visit it in person out of state. One offer to sell if I can use a local mailing address (from friend or family). The pricing delta between local and one in Boston is about 30% difference.

Toyota "usually" don't need it, but if you can sleep better maybe it's worth it.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
You used to be able to buy it online. Toyota made the change a few years ago and now you have to buy at a local dealer or visit it in person out of state. One offer to sell if I can use a local mailing address (from friend or family). The pricing delta between local and one in Boston is about 30% difference.

Toyota "usually" don't need it, but if you can sleep better maybe it's worth it.

Gotcha. Thats what i have read that vehicle must register in same state or something.

Originally Posted by s2krunner

Thank you

Is it AWD Sienna? If it is, by all means get extended warranty considering what POS those 8 speed transmissions are. And I would just in case get one even if it is just FWD.
Who is financing vehicle? If it is credit union you can get Route66 which is pretty good warranty.

Originally Posted by Blueskies123
I bought one with my Avalon. What a waste of money. 8 years later and not a single thing has broken on the car. Just oil changes, three sets of tires, and 3 batteries. It even has the original brakes.

+1
Selling extended warranties is a HUGE profit center for Toyota, it's independent distributors, and it's dealers. Even with independent 3rd party extended warranty companies, Toyota products generate big profits.
Extended warranties are insurance policies. What are insurance companies in business to do? Make money. How do they make money? By taking in more money than they put out paying claims.
One has to consider the reliability track record of the brand as well as the upfront cost of the extended warranty verses how much money will need to be spent on covered repairs during the warranty period. The odds are in your favor (HEAVILY in your favor on a Toyota product) that the cost of the warranty will exceed the amount spent on covered repairs during the warranty period. I'm not saying that Toyota products don't break, they do, but the vast majority of people will be money ahead by not paying upfront for an extended warranty. This is not just on Toyota products since, like ALL insurance products, the premium is based on the loss ratio. When you are shopping for a vehicle you can use this fact as a reliable indicator of the reliability and repair costs by getting extended warranty premium quotes from an independent 3rd party extended warranty company on the vehicles that you are interested in purchasing. Toyota products are always at the bottom of the premium cost scale, while other makes/models can have premiums that are as much as 5-6 times higher. Even some otherwise reliable makes/models can have very high extended warranty premiums because of their exorbitant repair costs.
Having said that, IMO there are some valid circumstances that can warrant the purchase of an extended warranty on a reliable make like Toyota, for example, a single woman who travels (or anyone else who thinks that they could be taken advantage-of by an unscrupulous repair facility).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back