91 Miata, 1.6L, 80,000/6,000 Mobile1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily driver; 1.6L 4cyl with 5 spd manual. 80/20 highway/rural including a 3,000 mile drive from Nashville to the SF Bay Area. Uses essential no oil between changes. Fram Ultra filter every other oil change.

I'm quite pleased with the car having purchased it from the original owner less than a year and about 12,000 miles ago. These early Miatas are rugged little beasts.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, that is NOT Mobil 1 5W-30 - way, way too high of additive levels.

Is it Mobil 1 0W-40, like the other sample? Additive levels are similar.

Those engines are every bit as tough at the Toyota truck engines. The seemingly will operate for years without coolant, oil or even spark plugs (just a little joke, that's what was said about the Toyota 22R eng)

In any case, enjoy your Miata, they are great cars. There are a few little tweaks to make them even better.....

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I put 5W-30 EP in it at my son's place in Nashville. It's definitely Mobil1, as I haven't used a different oil in 30 years.

Have a look at the viscosity; I'm no tribolgist, but it seems to be within the range of 30 weight. But again, I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by Cujet
In any case, enjoy your Miata, they are great cars. There are a few little tweaks to make them even better.....
I've owned/own six. They're all tweaked. Some have been turbo tweaked.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Le_bow_ski
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I put 5W-30 EP in it at my son's place in Nashville. It's definitely Mobil1, as I haven't used a different oil in 30 years.

Have a look at the viscosity; I'm no tribolgist, but it seems to be within the range of 30 weight. But again, I could be wrong.

You are right, but M1 EP is 10.6 cst….over such a short interval, it would not thicken up to 12cst. BUT, M1 0W-40 could shear down from 12.9cst to 12cst.

Main give-away is the additive levels....they are just all too high for M1 EP.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Originally Posted by Le_bow_ski

You are right, but M1 EP is 10.6 cst….over such a short interval, it would not thicken up to 12cst. BUT, M1 0W-40 could shear down from 12.9cst to 12cst.

Main give-away is the additive levels....they are just all too high for M1 EP.
I see what you're saying, and good catch. The likelihood is that I had intended to use 5W-30, but the store was out, and so I ended up with 0W-40. If that's the case, which seems likely, would the reduction in viscosity be normal for 6k miles of predominantly high rpm driving?

I can tell by the additives that this is M1 0W-40. Yes, this oil can lose that amount of viscosity even when fuel content is low. The UOA looks very good.

Originally Posted by JAG
I can tell by the additives that this is M1 0W-40. Yes, this oil can lose that amount of viscosity even when fuel content is low. The UOA looks very good.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back