Your Drivers Ed car, if you took Drivers Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took it in 63 and do not remember what the car was. I do know it had 3 on the column, but that's about it.

The cars I drove during drivers ed were a 99 Toyota Camry, one of the coaches cars, my Pontiac Grand Am, and two 2008 Chevy Aveo's with the extra break pedal added.

1973 Olds Delta 88, 350 Rocket V-8 and 4 BBL carb. There was a linked brake pedal on the passenger side which I saw Mr. Richards, our instructor, use a couple of times when others were driving.
A nice enough car from what is now a bygone era of body on frame boats.
We also had a classroom with primitive sims in which we learned the basics of driving three on the tree without killing the engine as well as the appropriate action to take when faced with an unexpected event.
Pretty neat.

Jeez, back in 67/68 three of us plus the teacher, can't even remember the car but the teacher was great, always went out of town and had the mandatory stop at Winchells for donuts and coffee, still remember the teacher, Mr. Reisig
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Malo83
Jeez, back in 67/68 three of us plus the teacher, can't even remember the car but the teacher was great, always went out of town and had the mandatory stop at Winchells for donuts and coffee, still remember the teacher, Mr. Reisig
lol.gif

Funny I still remember out instructor as well. Mr. Exline, a large heavy set man probably in his sixties. Used to fall asleep after about 10 minutes, then we had fun driving all over the country roads of southern Iowa!

1995 Nissan Sentra
Just one year old and it was well worn. It inspired little confidence in learning to drive on a busy highway.

Plymouth Horizon, IIRC a 1988. It lost a brake line the day I was supposed to road test, so the instructor showed up in her backup car...a silver Chevy Sprint. Which I could barely squeeze into and could not drive safely. (Jammed into the door, console, and roof.)

I road tested in my uncle's F-250.

1985 Plymouth Reliant. Also happened to be the practice car for auto shop class at the high school. Steering wheel was 90 degrees off center, and the shifter detents were awful so sometimes it slipped out of D into 2nd going over a bump.

A 10 year old (at the time) 1977 Chevy Impala wagon. Pea green exterior with a tan vinyl interior.

Only option it had was A/C. No tilt, no cruise, no power windows or locks.

The school district probably got a good deal on it, because it was so ugly and had no options.

I took driver ed in the summer before my senior year which would have been 1983. We had Two tan Either Volare or Aspens and one brown either Volare or Aspen wagon. They all had the extra brake pedal on the passenger side for the teacher.

I think all three cars were 1978 models.

Last edited:
Showing my lack of age, but the Saturn Ion sticks out in my mind. Why the gauge cluster was in the middle of the dash is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Showing my lack of age, but the Saturn Ion sticks out in my mind. Why the gauge cluster was in the middle of the dash is beyond me.

I got you beat! We where driving new 2013 Ford Fusions.

I still have no idea why the local Ford dealer let us drive brand new cars. I would be PO if I bought a car and later found out some 13 year olds learned to drive in it all summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back