Your Drivers Ed car, if you took Drivers Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
1980 Monte Carlo (3.8L V6, back when they were gutless) provided by local Chevy dealership.

Originally Posted by sopususer
It was a 1986 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Black and beautiful.

Who approved that ? That's downright stupid using a car like that (not to mention not having 4 doors). They don't seem to do it nowadays with the private driver's training school/class but years ago, it wasn't uncommon to have 2-3 students in the car taking their turns.

Back to that car, a 4 or 6-cylinder Mustang would have been more appropriate engine-wise but even smarter, a Tempo or Taurus.

Local Ford dealership gave the high school use of a car for driver's ed. Partially if not all advertising. I think I win on coolest car so far. It was a 1986 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Black and beautiful. Wound up breaking down at a local state park while we were stopped at an overlook. Wouldn't restart. Priceless looks from passers by who saw us riding in the tow truck getting it towed in. Good times.

Coolest because the engine wouldn't start...
lol.gif

69 Dodge Charger, 318 with bucket seats and a console. It had dual brake controls. I was so hoping it would be at least a 383, or a 440 but I knew a Hemi was out of the question. At least it wasn't a slant 6. My High school football coach was the instructor. My older brothers had been letting me drive their cars since I was 12 years old so I already had the basics down. All he basically told me was where to turn. Fun times!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
It was a 1986 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Black and beautiful.

Who approved that ? That's downright stupid using a car like that (not to mention not having 4 doors). They don't seem to do it nowadays with the private driver's training school/class but years ago, it wasn't uncommon to have 2-3 students in the car taking their turns.

Back to that car, a 4 or 6-cylinder Mustang would have been more appropriate engine-wise but even smarter, a Tempo or Taurus.

I don't know, I took my drivers ed with a 2002 Camaro SS, LS1/4T60. The guy that ran the driving school was a friend of my mom's. He used Camaro's as far back as she can remember.

Regular license: Chevy Aveo
CDL: 90's International 4900 single rear axle tractor and 33' dual axle trailer.

'61 Chevy. Stick shift and extra clutch pedal for teacher. I'd been driving an automatic since I was eight or nine, put seat up and looked through the wheel of a '50 Chevy.

Drivers ed taught me to use a stick shift and change a tire.

Last edited:
1979 Ford Fairmont provided to the high school by the only car dealer in the school district. I remember so many people complaining that they saw the driver ed teacher driving it over the summer that the dealer actually ran an ad in the paper explaining they ask him to drive it because it's better for it than sitting at the high school all summer. Dealer went out of business years ago.

1983 or 84 Plymouth Horizon hatchback. I think it was a 4 door. Automatic and as slow as a sloth, but then that makes sense. Drove it all over the north suburbs of Roseville, New Brighton, etc., back in the summer of 1985.

Two vehicles in the ski town I grew up in:

* 1984 Subaru wagon turbo 4wd :))) with manual transmission that mid-term got replaced
* 1986 Sentra base (like vinyl seats, no power steering, no radio, 4 speed manual). My drivers ed teacher left the factory plastic sleeve on seats, it was a bit miserable on hot days leg sticky to plastic bag.

Drivers ed instructor was incredible teacher. If it was snowing (school rarely cancelled) she'd take us into unplowed parking lots ask us to get car to 30 MPH and then she'd jerk the wheel and apply brake hard to get car into skid and expect us to recover. I learned sooooooo much from that lady about real world driving in New England.

She even taught us to drive a hairpin turn over the speed limit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbOAiZ_R-3o

Originally Posted by 02SE
Local Ford dealership gave the high school use of a car for driver's ed. Partially if not all advertising. I think I win on coolest car so far. It was a 1986 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Black and beautiful. Wound up breaking down at a local state park while we were stopped at an overlook. Wouldn't restart. Priceless looks from passers by who saw us riding in the tow truck getting it towed in. Good times.

Coolest because the engine wouldn't start...
lol.gif

Well, it was cool at least while it ran.
lol.gif

2001 Toyota echo sedan was what I did drivers ed in. My head was pushing on the roof and my foot would make contact with both the gas and brake pedals due to how close they were so I had to angle my foot to avoid clipping the brake. It had decent get up and go for the highway portion but the interior was not well suited for me due to me being tall.

For my Motorcycle class, I got to learn to ride on a 09 Honda Rebel 250 (CMX). Nice, easy to handle and very good looking as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back