Snap On ratchet re-build ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a single 3/8" Snap On ratchet that I got from my Dad that seems to be in need of repair. The square drive rocks around making it "sloppy".

I've read that their warranty covers the tool, not the (original) owner. Is that true or do the sales reps not ask questions ?

The part # on it is F-710-A and it appears to be a little bit old, circa 1950s.

Any good rep will take care of it. There are some bad reps who will give you flak for not buying their stuff but screw em...

So Snap On tools wear out?
wink.gif

The dealer can repair it . I have repaired mine since retiring it is very easy to do.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
...the old ratchets from the 1950s era are collectors items and that he can sell in on eBay for about $400.
Pffft, I think you have an extra zero in that amount.

My pal had an old 3/8" drive with a worn ratchet gear.
I took it and showed it to the Snap-On truck owner who I'd see regularly at a Chevy dealership.
He took out a tray of replacement kits and found he hadn't the one for that particular tool so he ordered two of them and asked me if I could meet him at the same place the following week.
At that time he replaced the guts of the wrench.
I don't remember the tool's ownership being asked about. He was quite friendly. He thanked me for bringing the tool in because he liked having a complete set of replacement parts.

He told me GM had "fused" several fuel lines directly onto gas tanks and the special tool to disconnect them was a big seller because breaking said lines would result in needing a replacement tank.

I told him that sounded like another bull fertilizer GM shaft job. He agreed.

Originally Posted by Kira
My pal had an old 3/8" drive with a worn ratchet gear.
I took it and showed it to the Snap-On truck owner who I'd see regularly at a Chevy dealership.
He took out a tray of replacement kits and found he hadn't the one for that particular tool so he ordered two of them and asked me if I could meet him at the same place the following week.
At that time he replaced the guts of the wrench.
I don't remember the tool's ownership being asked about. He was quite friendly. He thanked me for bringing the tool in because he liked having a complete set of replacement parts.

He told me GM had "fused" several fuel lines directly onto gas tanks and the special tool to disconnect them was a big seller because breaking said lines would result in needing a replacement tank.

I told him that sounded like another bull fertilizer GM shaft job. He agreed.

This sounds exceedingly similar to my experience. I have a late 1940's vintage Snap-On 1/2" drive ratchet that needed a kit and he had to order it in. Great service and I was really impressed that they still had kits for units that old.

I agree.
The same friend had his FIL's old SK 1/2" drive. This tool, like the 3/8" Snap-On above, would skip whenever it felt like it.
In use this skip and jump could result in serious hand injuries.

I took the 1/2" without telling him. I mailed it to Chicago with a descriptive note which I signed using his name and address. The website instructed me to include a phone number. Since I wanted it to be a surprise I provided my own.

After a while a lady called to tell me a backlog with their warranty dept. had occurred and that my wrench would be along soon.

The "surprise" rebuilt wrench made him so happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back