Your Drivers Ed car, if you took Drivers Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had threads on what car did you learn to drive on - this is a bit different.

If you took Drivers Education of some kind; what was the car used in your lessons?

I took 'Young Drivers of Canada' lessons, and my instructor had a white 1992 Mazda 323 hatchback with a 5-speed transmission.

Ironically, years later I bought and drove an identical white 1994 323 hatchback for about 2 years. Good, solid reliable economy cars.

My drivers ed car was a 1972 Dodge Coronet. The high school got their cars from the local Dodge dealer which happened to be the only car dealership in that small Oregon town at that time.

A 1991 ish chevy cavalier 4 door with 3-speed automatic trans and an extra brake pedal for the instructor.

It was a year or two old but had 100k miles already.

Had a sandwich board sign a foot tall on the roof that really caught the wind on the highway.
lol.gif

Took it through eight inches of snow on its decent all season tires. Class was not cancelled!

Driver's Ed is about a thing of the past with schools today. At least around me. I never took it, but I believe it was mid 80's Ford Tempos or Chevy Cavaliers for us. Our 17yr/old is currently taking private driving lessons . It's a <2011 Ford Focus with an extra brake pedal on the pass side.

1990-something Plymouth Breeze. Man was that thing dog-slow! I was surprised my teacher let me open-er up a bit to accelerate at what I felt was a normal rate.

My 6 hours of behind-the-wheel was split between 2 cars.
1972 Pontiac Tempest (way bigger than the early '60's Tempest) 350 4bbl. auto.
1972 Dodge Charger 318 auto.

My father had stressed getting up to highway speeds when we drove so when Mr. Hotum -a good guy- overcoached me on the state highway entrance ramp by saying, "go, go GO, GO GO!", I was more than happy to oblige. That was in the Tempest.

it would have been an '82 Ford Fairmont (?)....crappy 4 door back when Ford had the horn in the turn signal stalk (push stalk in to honk)

It was another student named Dino and me with the soccer coach who was in charge of driver's ed. We were the only two that already had our driver's licenses and he hand picked us to be his students. The local Oldsmobile dealership donated brand new cars. Think they were 1981 Cutlass sedans. We drove all over the rural parts of our county. Stopped at roadside stands to buy honey and put the money in the honor can. Pulled over to the shoulders to let the traffic pass us because we weren't going over the speed limit and we weren't going anywhere but just driving around. It was great. The coach was always hot so even though it was the summer, Dino and I would have to wear long pants and sleeves because the A/C in that Cutlass worked very well and coach wouldn't turn it down. It was cranked the whole time.

Originally Posted by Leo99
It was another student named Dino and me with the soccer coach who was in charge of driver's ed. We were the only two that already had our driver's licenses and he hand picked us to be his students. The local Oldsmobile dealership donated brand new cars. Think they were 1981 Cutlass sedans. We drove all over the rural parts of our county. Stopped at roadside stands to buy honey and put the money in the honor can. Pulled over to the shoulders to let the traffic pass us because we weren't going over the speed limit and we weren't going anywhere but just driving around. It was great. The coach was always hot so even though it was the summer, Dino and I would have to wear long pants and sleeves because the A/C in that Cutlass worked very well and coach wouldn't turn it down. It was cranked the whole time.

Awesome story!

In the coned off parking lot precision course we got to drive the supply van...a 60s Ford with 3-on-the-tree.

On the road it was a mid 70s Vanilla Ford I think. Galaxie 500 or LTD or similar.

We didn't have drivers Ed. They got rid of it 1 year before I started high school. They had AMC hornets. They donated them to the auto shop.

I just got my permit. Drove the Subaru brat my mom had and that I had been driving on dirt roads since I was 9 but mom was with me on streets now.

Took my driving test in that brat with its manual trans and got 100%.

In the drivers ed course on school grounds, it was Ford Pinto's and Mercury Bobcats. About half were manual trans. For the motorcycle course it was Honda CM250's. The car for going out on public roads was a Chevy Cavalier. Oh, and one pedophile instructor. He eventually was held accountable

My high school had a dedicated oval track for drivers ed practice. They used AMC Pacers and Pontiac Grand Prixs, the big body style of '77. Remember doing on the road time in one and going up a slight hill. Had my right foot to the floor and it wouldn't go any faster. Don't know if they put governors on the engines or if they were just so anemic at the time.

Local Ford dealership gave the high school use of a car for driver's ed. Partially if not all advertising. I think I win on coolest car so far. It was a 1986 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Black and beautiful. Wound up breaking down at a local state park while we were stopped at an overlook. Wouldn't restart. Priceless looks from passers by who saw us riding in the tow truck getting it towed in. Good times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back