Looking for A/C tips...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sig vehicles both blow cold air but seems they could be colder would buying a can of freon help much? what brand is best? tia.

Don't add unless you know it's low. Don't go buy the DIY recharge kits. I would try to clean the condenser and take it in to have the pressures read.

Last edited:
Do you notice any "better" A/C performance when the engine is above idle? Perhaps a worn out serpentine or clutch adjustment needed on the A/C compressor?

Originally Posted by dblshock
would buying a can of freon help much?

About as much as buying a can of diet Coke....Oh, you mean ADDING a can of freon. If its low on freon it may, but the problem is you don't really know how low even if you check the pressures. If it's a half can low, adding a full can could cause poor cooling as well.

well first I'll clean the condenser (good advice) but that gallon is $40! and you only use 1/10 of it any cheaper cleaners?

is this stuff like an engine degreaser? I have some of that here in the garage.

Originally Posted by dblshock
is this stuff like an engine degreaser? I have some of that here in the garage.

Just spray it out with a hose to get the bugs out. Don't fold the fins over with too much pressure. Don't add any sealers.

I recommended that you don't mess with the charge at all. Those low side gauges are a gimmick and don't mean a thing.
Are the cooling fans working?

Take it to a shop with a proper RRR machine.

Finally. r134a is weird stuff. Unless its almost empty you can't tell much with pressures. I have had cars come in with only a few ounces in them and the pressures looked normal.

Soak it with diluted degreaser (I use Purple Power, works good + cheap), let it sit in a warm location for an hour, try to spray water from the inside out, gently remove any dead bugs. If that doesn't work, Harbor Freight has a fairly cheap gauge set that can give you an idea on freon charge & condition- https://www.harborfreight.com/ac-r134a-manifold-gauge-set-62707.html
I'm probably going to pick one up today myself, the 25% coupon applies & mine has basically disintegrated from not leaving it in the case.

I used a can of condenser cleaner when I did mine last summer. It really foamed up, I think that is important as you need it to fill a bunch of inaccessible spaces inside the condenser. It was like $15 from the HVAC supply store because they had a $15 minimum and it wasn't in stock at any big box store. I still have some left so you could probably do your residential A/C coils as well to offset the cost.

You can try the degreaser as long as it is safe for aluminum. Use a pressure washer but don't get too close with it. If you just use a hose, you will be rinsing forever to get all the detergent out.

I think I noticed a small difference but it could have just been placebo effect. It seemed to improve de-humidification more than making a noticeable temp diff, I wish I had checked the temps with a thermometer before and after.

The OP has just said it seems like the AC could be colder. Why not measure the temp of the air it's putting out before doing anything else?

The reason you just cannot top off the refrigerant is because the current refrigerant cannot be too much/more than you need.
It has to be more exact in terms of volume and pressure.

It is NOT the old R-12 where more is better.

Then, you need to use it more often.
The more the AC is used means more flow, the better that it maintains the operation of the AC.
I know it is counter intuitive.

Clean the condenser and replace the filter.
Hopefully, the evaporator which is usually near the blower fan is still clean.

Last edited:
I've successfully added refrigerant with a those DIY kits on several vehicles now. My co workers old car stopped blowing cold air and the compressor stopped engaging, I brought it back to life with a can of refrigerant,not a whole can of course. His AC worked fine all summer.

I make sure to only use pure refrigerant, brand doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't have any sealers, seal conditioners, or oils added.

It can be done, but you it can easily be messed up too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back