Thumbs Down to Stihl, Hello Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy with my Stihl fs40 curved trimmer. I bought it 2 years old a year ago from a customer of mine that I mowed lawn for. I'm in Canada. Not cool that the parts are hard to get in the states. Sometimes it's the opposite.

I've just never had a 2 stroke that ran as nice as this. It doesn't seem to smoke at all and it starts so easy and idles perfectly seconds after a cold start. I have an old weed eater leaf blower that seems to start almost as easily but it smokes a bit (on the same mixed gas as the trimmer) and surges a bit. For a machine that I paid like $27 for at a yard sale in the country I'm impressed but nothing seems to beat the way the Stihl runs. As always there are good ones and bad ones but I never had luck with trimmers or any 2 stroke engines before the trimmer.

Also my dad has a Stihl chainsaw and an echo trimmer. The trimmer wouldn't start this spring. He assumed it wasn't the gas because the Stihl was running fine on the same gas. Finally he replaced the old gas with new and it sputtered to life and then ran better and better until it was perfect again. Maybe the gas was bad and the Stihl engine had higher compression ratio that made up for lack of volatility in the gas? Who knows.

Not saying I will stick with Stihl for future products, but my experience has been great. I'm using Stihl oil mixed with 91 octane that's supposed to be ethanol free. When I run out of the oil I will by the premixed synthetic gas/oil mixed.

Found that part on EBay. Okay it's from the UK but some are free shipping
cheers3.gif

I replaced the lower shaft bearing on my FS38 a few years ago - walked in to dealer in my small town, walked out with my part. No problem ever with Stihl in NZ.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Originally Posted by bakechad
I've had an SRM-225 for years. Works great, starts every time. Just changed the plug and filter about an hour ago.

Could be in my head, but I do think it runs better with an Autolite plug.

I believe this is the same model I have had for about 18 years. Homeowner use for me. Has been great.

I'll add another thumbs up for this trimmer. Mine has been great.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

I then went to Home Depot and bought a Echo SRM-225 straight shaft trimmer for $199 (I paid $180 for the Stihl in 2006). Echo offers parts diagrams at their website, and also sells parts online. They are much more DIY repair friendly than Stihl.

You waited 13 years for Stihl parts to buy. Well, in 13 years, Echo may not have any parts to buy. Heck, may not have them for sale next year.
Wait, on 2nd thought, in 13 more years, that Echo may have been in a land dump for 4-5 years.

I use Echo exclusively for everything but the mower (have string trimmer, blower and chainsaw). All have performed very well.

My SRM-225 is on year 5, and it starts easily and runs strong.

The chainsaw is a CS-590. Runs rich so a bit tricky to start without flooding, but it's a beast.

These days any company can be bought or get stupid new management and poof. After 10 years parts are gone or dealer only. Look at what john deer is doing.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
These days any company can be bought or get stupid new management and poof. After 10 years parts are gone or dealer only. Look at what john deer is doing.

Rod

My 1980's deere tractors still have parts available.. they might be overpriced highway robbery but .. still available.

I just spent 3 days wrestling with the 20 something hand-me-down Mantis 7222. I prevailed, but Saturday night I was checking out new tillers on line. No matter what I did, it wouldnt run, not a pop. I took the muffler off and it was dripping wet with oil. The screen was oily, but I could see through it. I got a look at the piston and it is scored badly.. The first 2 afternoons ended with me still mystified. Sunday morning, I figured out the problem.. I had washed down the rings with carb cleaner. The piston and cylinder are wasted .Dad musta straight gassed it. I needed to "prime" the cylinder with some oil. Did the trick. I had Torn down the carb , twice. No joy. Then the coil.It was rusty. but made a thin blue spark.The exhaust was the last thing to try and it wasn't the trouble either. Today, I spent about an hour putting it in its housing and tuning the carb. It is sufficient to fluff up my 500 sq' of of raised beds The general condition doesn't warrant replacing anything. It is gonna get "fixed' to death. It came darn close. BIL has a corded electric that he likes, I'm gonna take a look.
grin2.gif

Personally I've never understood the Stihl following, and lately I've been telling my customers to do their homework before buying. I've seen some strange failures on some of their newer equipment, like crank bearings in chainsaws, blowers, etc. I had a customer with a newer backpack blower that had a very loud knock. He always used the Stihl 2-stroke oil and is good with maintenance. I believe him because he has 2 Stihl saws over 25 years old that run perfect.

There are so many other brands out there.

Stihl is way over rated. They went down the potty with the all plastic chainsaws. And yeah not good many parts no longer available, and over priced of course.

I used to be a Stihl fanboy too, back when they made saws like the 024 Super, which was an awesome saw. I had their trimmers for years, then ran into the parts fiasco on a not-too-old pro trimmer. That was it for me. I now have two Echo chainsaws, Echo blower, and a Husqvarna trimmer. If my trimmer ever takes a dump, I'll probably replace it with whatever company still makes a 2 cycle at that time. As you know the government is slowly phasing out 2 cycles. If possible it'll be a Echo or Husky.
Stihl has lost it's way, and that's been happening for 15-20 years. They're not paying attention to the consumer market for pro grade products, and they're losing to Echo and Husky. I won't pay their over the top prices for pro quality saws when an Echo will beat the pants off them for less money and better durability.
We recently had a floor collapse at church, and had to remove everything down to the ground and rebuild the floor. I cut the old floor, joists, beams and underlayment all at one time with my little 40cc Echo. Yeah, I ruined 4 or 5 chains, and a bar doing it, but it was cheaper and easier than the alternative. That little sucker powered right through the mess, nails and all, and made short work of getting the old out. I'm constantly amazed at what that saw can do. It actually took longer to haul it out than to cut it into pieces.

I "inherited" my fil's old Echo PB202 backpack blower around 1988 and have used only Echo since...."except for the Stihl stick edger I owned for a couple of years and eventually sold on CL at a loss just to get rid of it". My old Echo blower and trimmer still start in the first couple of pulls and both still run great.

stihl and their policy of dealer only parts sales is woefully outdated and really [censored] us commercial guys off who don't have time to run to the dealer for every single part. stihl quality is a myth. truth is their stuff is the least reliable and have short life in comm use. the fact that you cannot even access a parts diagram is unforgiveable. you are at the mercy of the guy behind the counter for better or worse. no more stihl for me. thankfully ebay now has aftermarket parts for their older stuff which is all I have left.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Personally I've never understood the Stihl following, and lately I've been telling my customers to do their homework before buying. I've seen some strange failures on some of their newer equipment, like crank bearings in chainsaws, blowers, etc. I had a customer with a newer backpack blower that had a very loud knock. He always used the Stihl 2-stroke oil and is good with maintenance. I believe him because he has 2 Stihl saws over 25 years old that run perfect.

There are so many other brands out there.

Crank bearings on chainsaws usually fail because someone decided to run the chain too tight. Kills the clutch side one, usually the seal leaks first though and you end up with a melted piston before they notice the bearing failing.

Melted piston comes like a consequence because that semmering seal fails either because bearing/shaft play or due to heat....then you get "lean conditions" because air leaks past that seal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back