R.I.P. Bart Starr. NFL legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by oldhp
Back when there were some of the meanest defense's ever. He was a tough QB.

The power generated by modern athletes is greater than any hit he took 50 years ago. There was no such thing as strength and conditioning coaches, year round fitness, and understanding how to properly eat, hydrate, and rest. If players today didn't have all this safety equipment on players would die every season. Even with the safety equipment if play like in his era was legal there would be maiming every week.

Great QB and more importantly Good man but Defensive tackles from the 60's and 70's would get stream rolled by running backs today.

dave1251 That's true. But. Back then the rules were far different. You could literally get away with murder. Remember Tatum??? Butkus??? The Steel Curtain??? Lambert??? Nitschke??? Randy White??? I'm not saying today's players aren't bigger, badder, and faster. But not the same rules that's all. My opinion.

Yeah, and Earl Campbell would be easy to leg tackle with these bionic men of today … LoL

Those were historic times in football back then...loved reading about the Packers, Lombardi, Horning, Star...those Packer teams.

I agree the rules were different black then, certainly, but I'd say for a good 20 years or so (maybe more) the athletes in the NFL and the rules (or lack of protection, maybe 1995-2015), led to some of the most hellacious hits I've ever seen. It's cleaned up a lot now of course, but there was an absolutely deadly run for a good 20 years where you had guy's weighing 225-250 that could run 4.6's and hit like missiles. These are professional hitters here. I live in New England, I go to watch training camp every year...you should see those linebackers work on hitting drills. A guy like Donte Hightower weighs 260...he's able to get his body so low and violently fast that it's ridiculous. And he can just hit that target all day long. And he's nothing special nowadays, there's a lot faster and explosive guys than him. But to just hear the impacts up close, it's really insane.

Last edited:
A nice read over on ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26826288/bart-starr-was-toughest-football-player-ever-lived

Those were different times back then. Grass and dirt ruled the day as AstroTurf was not common. Uniforms didn't have the space age fabrics like today. Thermal underwear was probably cotton long johns that freeze up when wet. The protective gear was nothing like today. They still wore cleats back then. Anyone old enough to remember how those hurt?

Today's players are benefitting from advances in many areas. They are faster, hit harder and react quicker. This is true in all sports.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I liked Bart Star he was old school NFL before it turned to crap!

Remember safety Larry Wilson of St. Louis Cardimals? Watched something on him; caught interception with casts on both arms! Crazy

Originally Posted by PimTac
A nice read over on ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26826288/bart-starr-was-toughest-football-player-ever-lived

Those were different times back then. Grass and dirt ruled the day as AstroTurf was not common. Uniforms didn't have the space age fabrics like today. Thermal underwear was probably cotton long johns that freeze up when wet. The protective gear was nothing like today. They still wore cleats back then. Anyone old enough to remember how those hurt?

Today's players are benefitting from advances in many areas. They are faster, hit harder and react quicker. This is true in all sports.

I was going to post the ESPN story, but glad you beat me to it. Added to the other comments is the use INDOOR stadiums. No such thing back in the era of Bart Starr.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah, and Earl Campbell would be easy to leg tackle with these bionic men of today … LoL

LOL he would have been lit up just like the career changing hit Priest Holmes took. At least in his day tackles were attempted. Today players are trying to make the greatest hits highlights. Plus try to watch Early Campbell walk or talk after years of pain killer abuse.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Al
When men were men

What are men now?

Some don't know. Gender confusion and all.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Al
When men were men

Speaking of nostalgia remember kids got polio?

I wouldn't call that nostalgia. Iron lungs were still common then. Those tines were painful. Thank goodness for the sugar cubes.

Nostalgia is watching the old Los Angeles Rams with Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen on defense along with Rosey Grier. Roman Gabriel was the QB. They were a force to be reckoned with then. Football was played outside on natural surfaces. Mud, snow and ice. Today's air conditioned indoor stadiums make it too sterile.

For a real game, check out Australia Rules Football.

Edit: I just realized I got the polio and smallpox vaccine methods crossed. Smallpox vaccine used the tines.

Last edited:
RIP Bart Star. He was a great QB who played on the greatest team in the history of the league...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back