Get New HVAC or Keep Old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super good advice and much appreciated. My Amer Standard Hi Eff has been kept clean, coils washed, etc., filters changed frequently. Fan blade turns easily but anything electrical is beyond my capabilities. I do know of a small contractor, recommended by an electrician friend. Based on all the comments it seems worth while to have him check out the system to see what he thinks. Maybe he can oil the motors too. Thanks again for all the feedback. Makes me feel a lot better.

20 years old isn't bad. If it breaks get a window unit to use until you can get it fixed, or fix it yourself.
Replaced a contractor for less than $10 last summer. Used a window unit while waiting on the mail ordered contactor, since locally they were at least $40.

Good advice on this thread. My recommendation, get a cheap window unit for backup. That will keep you going if the AC quits.

The AC in my houset is 35 years old and still going strong... although it has a small leak, so I have to add a pound or so of Freon every year. It's a five ton Lennox.

I think AC units can last a long time if they were installed correctly and not abused by running (by accident) in the winter and cycling them on and off quickly.

Perhaps this should be in a different thread, looking to get rid of the wall shaker and buy a floor model but they all look poorly made with cheap plastic. Any advice, don`t need central AC here.

My HVAC is about the same age. My son's friend is an HVAC installer and we sought his opinions not long ago. If your AC system is 20 years old, it's most certainly filled with R22 which is now VERY expensive because it was banned shortly after your unit was installed. If you need a refrigerant top-off, expect to pay up to $75/lb (varies locally). New units are rated by EER and SEER ([Seasonal] Energy Efficiency Ratio). Bigger number = higher efficiency.

A brand new unit today will only be a couple points higher today than the ones from 20 years ago if the old one is a decent name brand. The way EER is calculated has changed over time so, don't compare old units with new units. If properly maintained, the efficiency of a unit does not degrade much.

As time passes, units develop leaks and motors/compressors start wearing out. Replacement parts for the larger components are sometimes harder to get. Once the compressor is shot, it's generally not worth fixing especially if your unit is R22.

In my case, the system is well maintained and in good condition. I will run it till it drops. BTW: Capacitors are basically considered a consumable item. Any capacitor with the proper rating can be used instead of an OEM part. I've replaced mine a couple times.

Ray

PS: Stick with a large name brand such as Carrier or Trane. My son's friend feels that Carrier is pretty decent. Staying with a name brand will virtually ensure easy availability of parts and the service technicians will be most familiar with them. These things aren't rocket science so it's a simple matter of proper maintenance and availability of "consumable" parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Perhaps this should be in a different thread, looking to get rid of the wall shaker and buy a floor model but they all look poorly made with cheap plastic. Any advice, don`t need central AC here.

Is a mini split system an option?

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by Dinoburner

Is a mini split system an option?

Need to educate self, did check out a Mitsubishi a couple years ago, interesting. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back