HF torque wrench wore out

Status
Not open for further replies.
$10 1/2 drive. I never used it beyond the 150 ft-lb it's rated for. Started skipping and we get what we've got here, chinesium!

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

Looks like Dirt or what ever got into the teeth which prevented them from fully engaging. Those cheap torque wrenches are surprisingly accurate.

Harbor freight now has a very good one called "Icon". Cost about $100. Check it out.

That's the thing about many HF tools, you buy needing to use it once, maybe a few times but don't expect a lifetime of service.

Personally I'd get a 250 ft lb in 1/2" size, there are a few on Amazon under $100 but again they are arguably not a lifetime ownership tool, just expected to last longer, not just from material quality but also being designed to withstand 250 ft lbs. This Tekton is one example:

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24340-2-Inch-ft-lb-33-9-338-9/dp/B00C5ZL1NS

Last edited:
Several years ago when Craftsman was clearancing all the USA made tools to get the Chinese ones in i bought a USA made torque wrench on clearance.
I later found out that the guys on garage journal say it's junk.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by AZjeff
How accurate do you think that $10 torque wrench ever was?

+/- 4% according to a Hot Rod Magazine test a couple years back.

Yeah, but how many times?
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by AZjeff
How accurate do you think that $10 torque wrench ever was?

+/- 4% according to a Hot Rod Magazine test a couple years back.

You mean the one that got cherry picked.

Took me three tries to get one that actually worked. The third has torqued a good many lug nuts without flying apart.

Originally Posted by BrownBox88
Give it back for a new one. HF torque wrenches have lifetime warranty and I've done this many times.

Not for torque wrench. Unless the user still store the paper that said "Lifetime warranty".
Otherwise it is only 90 days for Torque Wrench.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by Trav
For a few bucks more you can have a USA made one from Precision. 3/8 split beam..

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-In...mp;psc=1&refRID=RQBJBG98QPXRBFFSN4B0

$118 vs $10!

All I used the old one for was axle nuts and lug nuts.
21.gif

I was replying to Chris 142 with that when he mentioned the Icon brand HF created.

I see now. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back