Not open for further replies.
Pickup the filter this morning at Walmart
Figured it was worth $4 bucks to see what's inside

D5496A6F-FF28-4A53-9077-898128810840.jpeg

2EC46E7D-BB4E-44BA-92B6-DB4E4E4DD39C.jpeg

AAC05076-4AC1-4EB8-8BFF-F63E005B37BD.jpeg

B4EB472F-8463-49C6-96F7-43645235DE0E.jpeg

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Pretty dam wide pleat spacing near seam. Thanks for c&p but I'll pass on using that on anything

That was the first thing I noticed as well.
I've used a lot of em in the past
Not sure about using one again ...³

I suppose there's a reason it $4 bucks

Last edited:
Pretty dam wide pleat spacing near seam. Thanks for c&p but I'll pass on using that on anything

Yep a new Supertech for $2.98 looks better than that.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
MC manufactured by Mann-Hummel now ???
It's that correct ?

I thought Purolator still made them but MANN/HUMMEL owns them or vice versa now

Originally Posted by das_peikko
That's why I don't use paper filters no more.
That's exactly what banned member Merkava used to say. Someone needs to inform all the vehicle OEM filter manufacturers, they've gotten wrong all these years
wink.gif

As opposed to topic, FL910S and 400S seem to show good pleat uniformity and solid post use anecdotes. Same price.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
That's why I don't use paper filters no more.

It's not the paper. It's when you change that paper.
We have a member here using a Pep Boys vehicle with 350K and Pep Boys basic paper oil filters exclusively.
So yes, economy filters work fine. All mine in my signature are value-priced filters - (even the cheap K&N) and I'm 1st and last owner of my vehicles.

If you must have an Ultra, it's your moola to waste. Would I buy a Purolator/Motorcraft?........ no. Quality control there stinks! But I'll bet there are many vehicles using Motorcraft exclusively with 300+K on the odometer. I wouldn't buy an AC Delco filter either. They went to pot when GM Bankruptcy occurred. They cheapened all the oil filters, just like they cheapened all their new vehicles/parts

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
What is the date code on it?

Does not look good.

AF0805E3-6BAA-4897-BD30-DA0AC627E78D.jpeg

Oil filters are over-rated. Pay really close attention to your air filter instead, especially after a forest fire in the vicinity.

The Motorcraft FL-820S has been known to tear on the pleats on either side of the media seam. I would avoid this particular filter part number.

And thank you for the C&P.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WellOiled
The Motorcraft FL-820S has been known to tear on the pleats on either side of the media seam. I would avoid this particular filter part number.

And thank you for the C&P.

I've used this filter a lot though the years without an issue
But I'll admit I was a little surprised with what we've seen inside the can 🤨
Your every welcome ðŸ‘

Last edited:

were you expecting any different?
My C&P on a filter made in 2015 looks similar, as do 95% of the other 820s out there.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
MC manufactured by Mann-Hummel now ???
It's that correct ?

MC filters have been made by Purolator for a long time (over a decade), and Purolator's parent company is Mann-Hummel.

New Motorcraft FL-820S was purchased in the last quarter of 2015 and carried date code 909031527. Filter constructed on Sep 3, 2015. About 4 months old. Stored in the house not in the garage.

[Linked Image]

FL-820S-909031527 #7 uneven pleats at the splice. This shot clearly shows wide pleat spacing near the splice before installation.

[Linked Image]

FL-820S-909031527 #8 uneven pleats at the splice closeup near the dome end.

[Linked Image]

fl-820s-909031527 #9 uneven pleat spacing at splice closeup near the thread end.

[Linked Image]

FL-820S-909031527 #14 note the rust closeup. This rust also appeared on the inside of the filter on the dome end end cap. I could not get a decent photo of this due to lighting. You can also begin to the the delamination between the epoxy and the end cap because of the rust.

I don't see an improvement in pleat spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back