HF dual action polisher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something or has the dual action polisher at harbor freight been discontinued? Is there another good budget option out there for once or twice a year use? Or is the porter cable kind of the best bet now?

Planned on buying The 6" HF (Chicago Electric) this spring only to find that it had been discontinued. Searched Northern Tool to see if they had an equivalent. Northern Tool has a very similar unit as the 6" Chicago Electric for under $70 shipping included. Can't find any reviews . I read somewhere that it carries a 1 year warranty. I think the Chicago Electric had a 90 day warranty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ironton-6in-Dual-Action-Car-Polisher-5-7-Amp-2000-6400-OPM/333046685428?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dc9420cac8de14599b6539e6e52c79629%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D333046685428%26itm%3D333046685428&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Aa46ef049-7fdb-11e9-bdd7-74dbd180cdd4%7Cparentrq%3Af52f894b16a0aa6fd65552d6ffa63204%7Ciid%3A1

From what I have read the Porter Cable has a weaker motor.

If it's a gone awaiting a rebrand to Bauer is it because you can't use 20% off coupons on Bauer stuff? Just asking...

Originally Posted by David2431
If it's a gone awaiting a rebrand to Bauer is it because you can't use 20% off coupons on Bauer stuff? Just asking...

Up charge on a "premium" brand plus exempted from coupons. No thanks, HF!

Originally Posted by buck91
Am I missing something or has the dual action polisher at harbor freight been discontinued? Is there another good budget option out there for once or twice a year use? Or is the porter cable kind of the best bet now?

I find it disturbing that you combined the words "harbor freight", "good", and "budget". You can have two out of three but not all three. Personally, I won't buy anything there that plugs into a wall outlet, even if it's a cordless tool where only the charger does.

Don't get me wrong, I buy things there often, some are a great value but others are too high a risk or too short lived for me.

Last edited:
Look at local pawn shops - HF tools seem to be hot in this area at all the pawn shops. Might try ebay, craigslist, facebook or other used websites too. This is a tool that likely saw little use from a previous owner.

Thanks to Tariffs HF is going upmarket with many products..

Have heard most of the cheaper lines are going away very soon....

At $79, I would be very inclined to spend a few dollars more and try to find a used Rupes LHR21ES.

Originally Posted by The Critic
At $79, I would be very inclined to spend a few dollars more and try to find a used Rupes LHR21ES.

That's the normal price for the old Chicago Electric as well. There were coupons would often bring it down to the $50 range. Maybe Bauer will be the same.

After doing extensive research...it was clear that buying a used Dual action polisher would be a huge risk. If it dies with one use...you might be out of luck.

For the money...and more important for reliability and performance...I got the PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher. Amazon has it for $119...but got mine for $89 on sale. Having used it for some time...and for various detailing work...it has been nothing short of outstanding.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
And IMHO Griot's still makes a better machine, with a better warranty, and better customer service.

Buy it once, buy it right.

Yup, I second this. I've had my second gen since 2011 and it's still kicking like new. Fact I just used it yesterday for about 5 hours of strait-up hard use.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
And IMHO Griot's still makes a better machine, with a better warranty, and better customer service.

Buy it once, buy it right.

It depends who you want to listen to...there are negative Griots DAP reviews as well...and at twice the price...not sure that's the best choice. So you could buy 2 Porter Cable units for the same price...out-doing any claimed warranty issues (some people claim Griots' warranty has plenty of "gotcha" terms). The Porter Cable unit here gets plenty of use and works flawlessly - used over 7 hours on 3 vehicles here last weekend (our 2 and our daughter's SUV).

In reality...the Griots and Porter Cable are a draw in terms of quality & performance, with the Griots still costing double.

Just a few online review examples:

Haven't been posting as often, anyways I've been having an issue with my Griot's DA polisher (larger one) going through backing plates and pads. I've had two backing plates explode on me and multiple pads having holes burnt through the middle. Honestly, I'm not applying an excessive amount of pressure on to the polisher. I'm not sure what else could solve this issue. Any car I do, it will go through 3 or 4 pads.

This is one of the most disappointing products I've ever bought, I bought it to polish the windshield and restore the headlight lenses, it vibrates fine but as soon touches the surface with even just its own weight it stops spinning, and yes the wheel is tightened as much as it can be, you can actually stop the spinning by grabbing it with your fingers slightly

Ok so i loved this polisher thinking its a great machine honestly worth the money, BUT my new one broke less than a month of using it replaced the brushes and still does not work! I called griots garage because the machine does have a life time warranty but i bought it off amazon so i have to deal with amazon to get it replaced if they will at all.

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
After doing extensive research...it was clear that buying a used Dual action polisher would be a huge risk. If it dies with one use...you might be out of luck.

For the money...and more important for reliability and performance...I got the PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher. Amazon has it for $119...but got mine for $89 on sale. Having used it for some time...and for various detailing work...it has been nothing short of outstanding.

The 7424XP is like the Toyota Tercel of DA Polishers. The Griots is a little better (think Corolla).

In this day and age there are so many choices. Why would you suggest a 7424xp?

The 7424XP is like the Toyota Tercel of DA Polishers. The Griots is a little better (think Corolla).

Good grief are you off base.

The Porter Cable unit is proven, reliable, and some here have even testified to many years of service. It has virtually all the features required to perform quality detailing work. Hardly even close to your depiction. Easy to use and solid workhorse yes.

Yes...anyone can certainly pay exponentially more for other units and waste money. Go ahead...make our day.

Good grief are you off base.

The Porter Cable unit is proven, reliable, and some here have even testified to many years of service. It has virtually all the features required to perform quality detailing work. Hardly even close to your depiction. Easy to use and solid workhorse yes.

Yes...anyone can certainly pay exponentially more for other units and waste money. Go ahead...make our day.

Waste money? I suppose you are entitled to your opinion. I did not ask the OP to spend $500; I suggested that they find a USED Rupes 21 for $150-$250. It is a significantly more powerful and usable machine than a 7424XP. A 7424XP works "fine" but so did many other dated tools. There are simply better options in 2019 in his price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back