Wal-Mart loss prevention guy following me around....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to buy a few things. As I entered the store, I grabbed a bottle of water from cooler near the register, opened it up and had a few gulps of cold water.

Went to a few departments and I noticed a loss prevention officer following me . Maybe he thought I would drink the water and leave empty bottle on shelf... ?

I couldn't find what I needed in tool isle so I headed to deli to get some boneless BBQ chicken tenders and Mac & cheese. I see the guy has followed me from one end of the building to the other side. I did stop at the Automotive Dept to see if any clearance oil deals.
smile.gif
LOL

Not really annoyed.... but I understand he was just doing his job.

Any BITOG members ever targeted when shopping ?

Well, I'd never consume something in a store like that, prior to purchase. But, if the loss prevention guy was following me around, that would be grounds for having fun with him. Putting hands in pockets, picking up all manner of small items, etc. Picking stuff up, putting it back, etc.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Well, I'd never consume something in a store like that, prior to purchase.
I saw a lady open a mayo jar, dip her finger in it for a taste, and then close it up and put it back !!!
Some folks with low blood sugar just can't wait and will take a small piece of hard candy to boost it, or a sip of pop, etc., and I think I did that once a long time ago, like get a cold drink going and pay for it on the way out. People seem to think they can sample fruit in the produce section.

Sam's Club, walmart's other store of course, has started a Scan-As-You-Shop, where you use your smart phone to scan bar codes as you put it in your cart. That will get more people eating inside a store.

My wifes tweaker cousin is a real shop lifter. Now in her 40's and never been caught. She should be caught!

Anyway you should have grabbed cat food. Taken it to the oil section. Pulled out a 5qt oil jug. Put the cat food in its place. Taken the oil and put it where the cat food was. Then get some feminine products. Take them to the furniture. Put them in a drawer.

Etc! Eventually ending up at the register in the garden dept with your bottled water.

In some states it is illegal to consume before purchase. you could have been arrested on the spot. I think Colorado is one, I know I have seen signs.

Rod

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

You were not targeted, you made yourself a target.

Sounds like he handled it well. Simply observed to see if you were a theft risk. What else was he to do when you are seen consuming products within the store?

There are people that would walk around and consume a whole lot of food and never pay.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Greggy_D
So...you drank something that wasn't yours?

I do it all the time in bars and restaurants.

You could have easily paid for the water as you were merely feet from the registers when you opened it and drank some. You chose to jerk the security persons chain when you noticed security was watching/following you around the store, from one end to another and in a few departments. Until you pay for an item it's not yours to consume unless you're in a restaurant setting. "possession being 9/10ths of the law" doesn't apply here! I'm assuming you paid for the Walmart bbq chicken tenders and Mac and cheese before consuming them!
sick.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe im paranoid but I tend to pay for water or drink and keep the receipt in my pocket if asked during my trip. However, if my kid is freaking out, I have given him a drinkable yogurt from a pack while grocery shopping, but I always pay for it once complete. I do see empty drink bottles on shelves occasionally, so I dont blame them, if ppl steal water they likely steal other items. I recall a guy who was a real klepto, would steal the most useless stuff..like gum, lite candies...guess he went for the thrill, maybe getting caught over stealing something worth a 1$ would change their mind...

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to buy a few things. As I entered the store, I grabbed a bottle of water from cooler near the register, opened it up and had a few gulps of cold water.

Went to a few departments and I noticed a loss prevention officer following me . Maybe he thought I would drink the water and leave empty bottle on shelf... ?

I couldn't find what I needed in tool isle so I headed to deli to get some boneless BBQ chicken tenders and Mac & cheese. I see the guy has followed me from one end of the building to the other side. I did stop at the Automotive Dept to see if any clearance oil deals.
smile.gif
LOL

Not really annoyed.... but I understand he was just doing his job.

As others said, you weren't targeted. You basically stole the water and the guy was making sure you paid before you left the store. With a store, you consume things after you pay for them. In a bar or restaurant, you can consume things before you pay for them. The taxes here are different between a restaurant and a store.

I agree, you brought this upon yourself. Taking and using something before paying for it could be considered theft, regardless of intent.
It was the guys job to watch those that are suspected of taking things and not paying for them (ie theft).
You were "targeted" because of your actions bringing suspicion on yourself.

I can see someone argue that I grabbed a bottle of water, drank it, urinated in the bathroom (and did not flush), left the bottle in the store, so I don't have to pay for it since nothing ever left the store.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Greggy_D
So...you drank something that wasn't yours?

I do it all the time in bars and restaurants.

Which is the expected and norm.
If you ordered, ate, and got up to go walk around outside (but planned to come back in later and pay), do you think that would be allowed?

The expected at a grocery store is things are placed in basket, then paid for, then used. Just because one thinks they are special means the rules don't apply to them and the question why someone from the business is watching them?

As I entered the store, I grabbed a bottle of water from cooler near the register, opened it up and had a few gulps of cold water.......

You state this in such a nonchalant manner that it comes across that you condone this practice.

It seems very ill mannered to me.

Meanwhile, while you were having all this "fun" to which you feel entitled, someone was returning used motor oil in 5 gt jugs to customer service since the loss prevention guy was distracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back