garage fridge problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small Frigidaire fridge/freezer in the garage. It is 10 years old, so probably time for a new one...just thought I'd ask before I replaced it. It's not cooling well...yesterday ambient temp was around 70, and the fridge was about 55. It frosts up in a certain area (see pic). I didn't measure the temp in the freezer compartment, but there is frost in there.

I'm thinking it's low on gas, and there's probably no way to charge it. Thought I'd ask the experts to weigh in. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0852[1].JPG

IMG_0848[1].JPG

IMG_0850[1].JPG

IMG_0851[1].JPG

It could be several things but at 10 years old buy another Refrigerator..

Sure looks to be low on refrigerant. When the cooling extends only a short way in to the coils, that's a clear sign.

If you have the tools, you could cut the pinched off process tube on the compressor, silver braze on a new access fitting, pull a vacuum, & charge with the weight of refrigerant on the data plate (2.4 oz of R134A), could even inject refrigerant dye to look for the leak-but the evaporator tends to be the most likely leakage spot, meaning $ for a new part. If it's even available!

Originally Posted by CT8
It could be several things but at 10 years old buy another Refrigerator..

It's a sad thing that a 10 year old appliance is past its serviceable life. My hot water heater doesn't get hot enough. I've been creeping up the temperature on the thermostat to get the water to a proper temperature. Thought maybe it was the thermostat so I went to a plumbing store to inquire about a new thermostat for it. They laughed me out of the store when I told them it was 12 years old.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
If you have the tools, you could cut the pinched off process tube on the compressor, silver braze on a new access fitting, pull a vacuum, & charge with the weight of refrigerant on the data plate (2.4 oz of R134A), could even inject refrigerant dye to look for the leak-but the evaporator tends to be the most likely leakage spot, meaning $ for a new part. If it's even available!

^This, but fixing it could cost WAY more than the cost of a new one. The Chinese compressors on these mini-fridges have a finite life to them and aren't worth it. Notice the original compressor only has a 90 day warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming what I suspected, guys. New fridge time!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

^This, but fixing it could cost WAY more than the cost of a new one. The Chinese compressors on these mini-fridges have a finite life to them and aren't worth it. Notice the original compressor only has a 90 day warranty.
Should have had a sealed system 5 year warranty when it was new. Not sure on the replacement one's warranty, the bigger ones I use at work generally come with a year, & the supply house will sell you an extra 4 years if you want it.

It's probably not low on freon since it is icing up quite a bit. I fixed a similar problem on my fridge by replacing a non-functioning evaporator blower fan. The fan is supposed to blow cold air from the freezer compartment down into the refrigerator compartment. I fixed mine for ~$16 and it is still working today.

Take a look at the video tutorial on RepairClinic.com linked here:

Repair Clinic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back