Ford 1.5 GDI Turbo Engine with 10.1 Compression Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdi jerry

$100 Site Donor 2024
I have two Ford Fusion's a 2016 and a 2018 both with the 1.5 GDI Turbo Engine with 10.1 Compression Ratio. I am using Mobil 1 5W30 Annual Protection. Is there a better oil for these two cars and does Castrol offer a better product than Mobil one ? I know Ford wants us to use a 5W20 but i am not sold on that idea.

Castrol and Mobil are basically offering the same oil with their "flavor." I do think you are paying TOO much for oil. Regular Mobil 1 or Castrol or even Motorcraft would be better cost-wise than M1 AP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Regular Mobil 1 or Castrol or even Motorcraft would be better cost-wise than M1 AP.

Welll... I got several jugs in 5W-20 AP when AutoZone clearanced them out for $10 a jug!

Originally Posted by CT8
With identical ratings ,,, oil is oil.

Wrong! Please read the labels carefully and slowly. Then observe what might be missing from them.

Jerry
No need to buy the most expensive. Buy Mobil-1 Vanilla and change every 5K. TGDIs need frequent changes, but still serve best with brand-name oils like Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline and Pennzoil.

Oil is not all the same. That's like saying 50 graduates holding the same, identical certification diplomas at Joe-Schmoe High School will all go-on to be doctors and lawyers.
People are not the same and neither are the oils, despite the same identical certs stamped to them.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by CT8

Wrong! Please read the labels carefully and slowly. Then observe what might be missing from them.

Jerry
No need to buy the most expensive. Buy Mobil-1 Vanilla and change every 5K. TGDIs need frequent changes, but still serve best with brand-name oils like Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline and Pennzoil.

Oil is not all the same. That's like saying 50 graduates holding the same, identical certification diplomas at Joe-Schmoe High School will all go-on to be doctors and lawyers.
People are not the same and neither are the oils, despite the same identical certs stamped to them.

I do 5000 mile oil changes the GDI engines are nasty. I want the best oil for my cars and don't mind paying a little extra for the oil because i plan on keeping them for the long term.

I like pennzoil platinum 5w30 it meets api SN plus, Chrysler ms-13340, and dexos 1 gen 2, all important for GDI or Turbo GDI engines.

it is also around $23 for 5 quarts and frequently has a $10 mail in rebate.

Originally Posted by tdi jerry
. I am using Mobil 1 5W30 Annual Protection. Is there a better oil for these two cars
You are picking an advanced synthetic, no doubt its good. They do use some PAO, with possibly GTL GroupIII+ in there, with Infineum anti-oxidants, it is the real thing. Main difference between your oil choice and cheaper synthetics would be how much piston deposits happen over many miles. Wear numbers are going to be similar across most dexos1 Gen2 full synthetics like that.
One oil that does tell us some wear results is the excellent Castrol Edge gold jug, which says Sequence IVA is 15 microns ! That may be the best I've heard of, and beats Amsoil Signature Series published results.
Walmart has Castrol gold jug, and amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Extended-Performance-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B00IPS3GMI
For all we know, your M1 AP could give great Sequence IVA results too, just not advertised exactly.

You're OK using 5w30 instead of 0w20 since there is only about 12% difference in hot viscosity anyway. Not much, but some extra margin if you want.

Might add that Mobil1 is coming up with a new oil in a few months that is called "M1 Turbo" that claims to score very well on the turbocharger coking test part of dexos1 Gen2. Thats not to say M1 AP won't also score very well on that same test, but for a turbo engine, it might be good to get something you know is exceptionally low on turbo bearing deposits.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Might add that Mobil1 is coming up with a new oil in a few months that is called "M1 Turbo" that claims to score very well on the turbocharger coking test part of dexos1 Gen2. Thats not to say M1 AP won't also score very well on that same test, but for a turbo engine, it might be good to get something you know is exceptionally low on turbo bearing deposits.

I have heard that mobil 1 was coming out with the turbo formula but i have not seen any info on it.

I have heard that mobil 1 was coming out with the turbo formula but i have not seen any info on it.

Mobil has the MSDS info out on it, and this formula uses less PAO than their EP & AP products, so not the long oil change interval, but maybe about as good for least turbo deposits than the more expensive flavors anyway:
[Linked Image]

Using 5W-20 Castrol Magnatec on 15 Fusion & 17 Escape great results . Ford dealership let me take my choice of Lube & Filter . Baldwin + Castrol proven products .

Originally Posted by LEADED
Using 5W-20 Castrol Magnatec on 15 Fusion & 17 Escape great results . Ford dealership let me take my choice of Lube & Filter . Baldwin + Castrol proven products .

Truth: You don't know you got "great results". Nobody can stand outside a car, use x-ray vision like superman, and tell us "wear, deposits, longevity" is best. ... It takes actual engineering results from real engine testing of the most premium formulations to begin to hope for "great results".
And, you chose Baldwin which has mediocre filtering performance compared to Fram Ultra, and even 2nd-place oil filters like M1 Extended oil filters.
You can say "I probably got average results"... based on your choices. Sorry, just the truth here.

Last edited:
I'm 12k miles into my a second 20K OCI using Mobil 1 5w20 AP.....this engine is extremely easy on oil!

My wife has a 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. It has a 9.5:1 compression ratio. Being an EB engine I don't want to run the oil really more than 7,500 miles so I've been using "plain" Mobil 1 5W-30, the spec'd viscosity. I did two UOA using the Mobil 1 5W-30, one for a 7,000 summer vacation run at very high speeds for many hours and the other for a frigid winter run of ~6,200 miles with lots of remote starts and cold idling. Both showed very good wear metals. The summer run stayed within the 30 weight viscosity. The winter run did dip into the upper ranges of the 20 weight viscosity, but not by much. I also did a 4,275 mile UOA using Motorcraft blend 5W-30, the Ford recommended oil. My iOLM seems to want run to 10,000 miles in my experience. At 4,275 miles the viscosity was into the lower 20 weight viscosity without significant fuel dilution showing. At that OC mileage the wear metals were ok though. That OC was late August to early Dec. Since with rebates I'm getting with the Mobil 1 5W-30, it costs me ~$11/5 quart jug. The Motorcraft, that doesn't hold up as well in my engine and costs me ~$20/5 quart jug, it's a no brainer
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Last edited:
. I am using Mobil 1 5W30 Annual Protection. Is there a better oil for these two cars
You are picking an advanced synthetic, no doubt its good. They do use some PAO, with possibly GTL GroupIII+ in there, with Infineum anti-oxidants, it is the real thing. Main difference between your oil choice and cheaper synthetics would be how much piston deposits happen over many miles. Wear numbers are going to be similar across most dexos1 Gen2 full synthetics like that.
One oil that does tell us some wear results is the excellent Castrol Edge gold jug, which says Sequence IVA is 15 microns ! That may be the best I've heard of, and beats Amsoil Signature Series published results.
Walmart has Castrol gold jug, and amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Extended-Performance-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B00IPS3GMI
For all we know, your M1 AP could give great Sequence IVA results too, just not advertised exactly.

You're OK using 5w30 instead of 0w20 since there is only about 12% difference in hot viscosity anyway. Not much, but some extra margin if you want.

I may would try a different oil if i had real proof it was better and would make my car engines hold up better. A lot of people on the forums use different oils with no problems but problems want usually show up any way until years latter. Even a low end oil want cause a engine to fail until years down the road for most drivers. Not keeping a vehicle serviced will cause more problems than a low end lubricant will.

Originally Posted by CT8

Jerry

Marketing works and it works well.

Originally Posted by CT8

Jerry

Once again you show your complete lack of understanding and knowledge it's pass or fail not extra credit. At best the product can state nothing is better there is not a single product can claim the best.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by CT8
Jerry-No need to buy the most expensive. Buy Mobil-1 Vanilla and change every 5K. TGDIs need frequent changes, but still serve best with brand-name oils like Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline and Pennzoil.
Oil is not all the same. That's like saying 50 graduates holding the same, identical certification diplomas at Joe-Schmoe High School will all go-on to be doctors and lawyers. People are not the same and neither are the oils, despite the same identical certs stamped to them.

Once again you show your complete lack of understanding and knowledge it's pass or fail not extra credit. At best the product can state nothing is better there is not a single product can claim the best.

Once again dave1251, you're wrong. SN and dexos1 tests, to name a few, are graded, and some oils score better than others.

If you took the time to read through: https://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton/media/PdfFiles/Afton-Chemical-Spec-Handbook-September-2019.pdf

... then your posts might not be as ignorant as they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back