Oil reccomendation for 99 Kawasaki ZR1100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It specs a 10W-40 to a 20W-50. It is my brothers bike and I'm helping him do some maintenance and a tune up. I don't know much about motorcycles, I'll tell you what I know about the engine.

Clutch and the crankcase share an oil sump, it's water cooled, and is carburetor. Inline 4, and I believe this engine has flat tappets. 37k miles on it. It is only ridden in the warm months. BITOG decides what we use for oil and filter change! Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Any JASO MA rated motorcyle oil should work fine. Since it's pretty hot there in the summer the 20W-50 would be fine. If you don't want to spend a lot of cash, the Valvoline 4-stroke cycle oil at Walmart is around $4.50 a quart and works well.

BTW, there's a motorcycle oil forum.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1/motorcycles-and-motorcycle-lubrication

Whoops. Mods please move it to the correct forum, sorry! Thanks for your suggestion

Simplest to obtain and correctly matched to your bike would be to go to WalMart and buy Mobil 1 Racing 4T oil in the 10W-40 viscosity. This engine uses a cartridge oil filter and those are likely available at WalMart also. The cartridge filter brand isn't as critical because it's simply a filter with end caps and center tube. The pressure relief valve and anti-drain back circuitry are part of the engine block and filter bolt.

Many people use Shell Rotella T 5W-40 and claim that it meets JASO specifications but the truth is that it's only been tested for frictional characteristics. I suppose that's really the critical item you'd be concerned with since the JASO MA/MA1/MA2 specs are rather flacid.

I've used various xxW40 oils in my ZRX1200 over the years and they've all worked fine. After reading a few posts in the ZRXOA forum, I decided to try 20W50 this year. It does give a better shift feel...not dramatic but noticeable.

Not sure if you're looking for a dino, blend, or syn oil. When I changed my oil recently (the 20W50), I used Castrol Actevo blend from Walmart. Mine takes almost 4 qts, so the 4 qt jug was perfect, and I thought the price was good, too (think it was in the $18 range). I always use a NAPA Gold 4941 filter.

Originally Posted by FowVay
Simplest to obtain and correctly matched to your bike would be to go to WalMart and buy Mobil 1 Racing 4T oil in the 10W-40 viscosity.

Like this.

498BAD2F-F2C4-4B0D-AEB3-CC5DEAF070AE.jpeg

Thanks for your suggestions! Mobil 1 seems like a simple choice. I've read these flat tappet engines like their ZDDP, so I was considering Rotella. It isn't JASO rated but meets specs? If it won't cause any issues with the wet clutch I may try that, I've heard others elsewhere using Rotella and they seem to like it. I'd happily hear your two cents on the matter!

Neither Rotella nor Mobil 1 are JASO licensed, but both claim to meet the spec for it.

Rotella now has a T6 15w-40 that many are starting to use, but have not heard any first hand experiences with it, and their 15w-40 T4 has been used forever in bikes with no issues.

I do know that T6 5w-40 was also used by many (and still is), but with the reformulation a few years ago (for CK-4 ratings), some have had some issues with it.

Walmart Supertech 15w-40 has also had some good UOA's on a few bikes here. I used it as a "rinse cycle" oil on mine with no issues.
Supertech also now has a synthetic motorcycle oil on the shelves, but have no seen any UOA or heard any feedback on it. Price wise it is around the same as Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic motorcycle oils.

My KZ 1000 has 20,000 miles in Arizona heat using Mobil 1 15W-50, 22,000 miles midwest hot & cold with Rotella 15W-40. The motor and clutch are in great condition. My Concours 14 and son's ZX-14R use the same two oils with excellent results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back