Brakemotive rotors and brake pads - Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here using Brakemotive rotors and brake pads from ebay? Are they decent? Looking for cheap alternatives for people with a small budget.

If you've never heard of the brand and they're cheap, then they are most likely the lowest grade rotors possible, when we're usually only talking single-digit dollars difference to go with a name brand.

Brakes can cost more in the long run to go "too" cheap, get a medium grade brand from Rock Auto or if pinching every penny, keep an eye out for Amazon Warehouse deals on damaged-box rotors. It is common that rotors damage their boxes from shipping damage that doesn't damage the rotor itself. I've bought several warehouse deal rotors that were in perfect shape, not even breaking the plastic bags they were in.

Common brands to look for in budget grade include:

ACDelco, Raybestos, Bendix, Wagner, Bosch, and lastly Centric. However, sometimes on the amazon warehouse deals you can even get those brands' premium line rotor for no more cost than their budget line rotor. What you get with their budget line rotor is higher quality control, that rotors with more runout are less likely to get through their quality control.

These are just generalities. If forced to buy at this exact moment instead of waiting on a deal at amazon then you might find the best price at Rock Auto. Pads, you also get what you pay for to some extent. Either they wear out faster or they wear out your cheap rotors faster and make a mess on your wheels, either way needing a brake job done again sooner. If getting them from Rock Auto which also has good pad prices, try to get some shipping from the same warehouse as the rotors to avoid higher shipping fees.

Yes I put them on my sonata they are equal to anything from any parts store.

Rock auto is double the price.

The ceramic pads were dust free and work fine, and the rotors have held up.

They work ok, fine for a economy or commuter car especially outside the salt belt. To the folks on forums posting how great they work on their Vette, Camaro, Mustang, IS/GS, Z/G ect well no just no. Tires, brakes, rotors and wipers are not the best places to save money on cars that go fast around turns. Besides every time I see a 370z with Funzion tires and O'Reilly's basic rotors I die a little inside.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Anyone here using Brakemotive rotors and brake pads from ebay? Are they decent? Looking for cheap alternatives for people with a small budget.

I have no experience with this brand.

On cheap brake rotors in general... As others say on this thread, for high performance, and I would add towing and other specialty applications, as GZRider states, just say no. I would also be cautious on semi-metallic applications, as they are more likely to grind soft or unevenly tempered cheap rotors.

For bread and butter grocery getters and moderate drivers, they will probably be fine. You can measure and be in control of some of the quality, just not the metallurgy, by measuring the rotor thickness in 6 or more places around the disc with your best micrometer. Should be zero differences.

Then, on the vehicle, you can measure runout with a dial indicator on a magnetic or clamp arm. Runout should be within factory specs.

If the rotors pass these tests, and proper brake qualified lube is used on the right places, chances are high they'll get their money's worth out of them.

Consider the return costs and policy carefully whenever ordering online. Don't assume ebay will take care of you, at least not quickly. Return shipping on heavy items can be pricey.

I have Brake motive rotors and they work fine. Several issues are that they are noisy and the pads squealed incessantly. I then replaced with Wagner pads and they were still noisy. Another replacement with Raybestos EHT pads and they are finally quiet. Another issue is that they will rust. Not as bad in my locale but need to occasionally hit them with silver paint. Otherwise they are very durable and haven't shown any wear in 3 yrs.

If I had to do it over, I would get Raybestos EHT rotors and pads from Rockauto. Actually cheaper than brake motive for some cars, and not much more for others.

Originally Posted by diyjake

Brakes are not the place to skimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back