Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Kstanf150,

Look what you started.

One simple question is all I ask ...³...³...³
Oil guys are a competitive bunch !!!
I appreciate all the info ðŸ‘

We here at BITOG are worse than crack addicts
wink.gif

It's probably illegal in most states to have this much fun for free !!!!
Hope everyone has a safe and a great Memorial Day weekend 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
A HUGE THANK YOU to all the veterans that post here
Your service is very much appreciated !!!!

Last edited:
You are welcome kstanf150
smile.gif

I'll work maybe 7hours Monday then smoke some chicken and turkey in the WEBER smoker
smile.gif

Be safe everyone

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Cold start-ticking could be the oil filter. Change brands and be sure to include the red silicone ADBV.

Motorcraft would be my choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Cold start-ticking could be the oil filter. Change brands and be sure to include the red silicone ADBV.
Motorcraft, made by Purolator, is about the worst choice. Their reputation for getting holes in their media is famous on BITOG.
See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oVZjE_Cmf59Bs5nSF9p4sMBhJaJ3X3Dey7u1asadJ4o/edit#gid=0 for a list.

The red ADBV could help, being silicone rubber which doesn't get ripples and waviness in it like some aged nitrile (black) ADBV rubber does. Seals better.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Motorcraft, made by Purolator, is about the worst choice. Their reputation for getting holes in their media is famous on BITOG.
See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oVZjE_Cmf59Bs5nSF9p4sMBhJaJ3X3Dey7u1asadJ4o/edit#gid=0 for a list.

The red ADBV could help, being silicone rubber which doesn't get ripples and waviness in it like some aged nitrile (black) ADBV rubber does. Seals better.

I never had a tearing issue with the Motorcrafts. Purolator yes. If you ever bothered to cut both open, you would discover the M/C is much thicker than the Puro. I see MANY MORE Purolator numbers than M/C. on the spreadsheet.

Last edited:
My vote on thickie:

M1 15W-50

Delo 15W-40

Rotella 15-40

Or Redline 20W-50

YOLO

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

I never had a tearing issue with the Motorcrafts. Purolator yes. If you ever bothered to cut both open, you would discover the M/C is much thicker than the Puro. I see MANY MORE Purolator numbers than M/C. on the spreadsheet.

Welloiled had a torn MC FL820S and I believe there were few others.

I see MANY MORE Purolator numbers than M/C. on the spreadsheet.
There shouldn't be ANY torn Motorcrafts on there. None. It should be so rare that randomly opening one up once in a while shouldn't reveal holes and tears. ... Purolator Boss type is OK, although it doesn't filter very well. Fram Ultra is the one that filters best, and never gets holes!

The inventor of the Harmon Index answered correctly, early in this thread.

Red Line 5W20.
HTHS 3.0 .
Vis @ 100 degrees C cSt 9.0 .

The only thing close is Red Line 0W20 !

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
The inventor of the Harmon Index answered correctly, early in this thread.

Red Line 5W20.
HTHS 3.0 .
Vis @ 100 degrees C cSt 9.0 .

The only thing close is Red Line 0W20 !

I totally understand , but I don't think an online mail order oil is what he's looking for. Prefer an off the shelf oil .
Thanks for the info that looks like a great oil by the numbers

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Looking for a thick 5W-20 oil
My son has a 2008 Mustang 4.6L with some cold start ticking
He's been running Penn Plat HM

If the ticking is at cold start, obviously a thicker oil may make the problem worse, as every oil is too thick when cold to begin with.

Just for fun, using my base-oil viscosity calculator, I estimated the HTHSV to be 2.6 cP for Pennzoil Platinum High-Mileage 5W-20, corresponding to a base-oil viscosity index of 137, which is just about right for a GTL base oil. It is indeed a thin oil as far as HTHSV and KV100 (8.0 cSt) are concerned. However, on the plus side, it has a fairly thick base oil (2.2 cP at 150 °C) and uses very little VII according to my base-oil viscosity calculator as well as the published finished-oil VI of 156 -- only a VI boost of 19 over the base-oil VI.

The long story short, any quality synthetic oil of any viscosity grade from 0W-20 to 5W-40 is OK for this engine. In fact, run 15W-40 if you like. I would use the PAO-and-AN-based true synthetic M1 EP 0W-20 SN PLUS.

I am running Motul eco energy 5w30, which is extremely light thirty weight that has a full saps additive package with tbn of 10.3. Has about 2800 ppm calcium and about 1000 zinc and 800 phosphorous. It has similar additive package of like Mercedes 229.5 spec except is is extremely low thirty weight oil. Tried different oils in my older Lexus Ls400 and car has felt best with this oil. In fairness was running heavier oils like Mobil 0w40 and Redline 5w30-maybe placebo-but feel car is a lot more responsive with this oil. You can buy in amazon for about40 for five liter bottle. Of note it also has a 3.4 HTHS with 10.3 viscosity so is lighter but still shear stable.

Last edited:
If I had a cold start tick, which I did once, I'd go thinner or at least a 0W version of the recommended base weight, which I did once, and my cold start tick went away.

My 08 Bullitt never had any kind of start up tick, always ran Mobil 1 5w20. The car was driven... spiritedly to say the least.

How many miles on the engine? what brand filter? I always ran Motorcraft filters on the 08. Twice I ran the racing version of the FL820s and I swear the thing ran better. Can't put my finger on why but I swear it wasn't imaginary. I tried using a Fram ultra on it once and it seemed to take an extra second to crank or start. Never had an issue with running ultras for 30k miles on my previous truck. So the 4.6 3v may have been picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back