Are there still ppl around who refuse to buy used or CPO vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 300: got the window sticker price and it was $40,000. I paid $23k in 2018.

2018 Grand Caravan: bought in 2019 for $19k with FCA's 7 year 100k mile CPO warranty, which is better than their new Powertrain warranty!

I want a new car, but for a daily knowing that depreciation hit is there doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:
Both Camrys were CPOs They have been fine so far.My wife bought both of them.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by double vanos
I buy new when 0% financing is going on then roll them 120k-140k / 8 years, then go get another new one. Simple.
At 67 yrs old I realize that in 8 years I'm liable to be dead so if that's the case my current new car is my last ha ha.

Must be a weird feeling.

I've bought 5 CPO BMWs; I've been very happy with each one- and currently have two. Depreciation is my friend.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I prefer new, and keep my vehicles a very long time.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Drosselmier
What is a CPO car? Have read a few threads on it for a while now. Unable to figure it out.
Thanks.

Certified Pre-Owned. I know for Chrysler vehicles it's a 7 year (from initial sold date) 100k Powertrain warranty. The standard Powertrain warranty is 5 years 60k.

Originally Posted by Drosselmier
What is a CPO car? Have read a few threads on it for a while now. Unable to figure it out.
Thanks.

We bought our 2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport under CPO. I was not worried about the drivetrain, but the 1st time something under the dash messed up I would be in trouble.
I did not want new cuz the garage has 2 cars already; the GS sits in the driveway.
Plus, new these cars are big bucks. The older car, under CPO, made sense to me.

GS Side.jpg

Originally Posted by Skippy722

2018 Grand Caravan: bought in 2019 for $19k with FCA's 7 year 100k mile CPO warranty, which is better than their new Powertrain warranty!

I want a new car, but for a daily knowing that depreciation hit is there doesn't sit well with me.

You do realize that both of these cars sold for a considerable discount off the sticker "price" when new?

Originally Posted by madRiver
If you are paying cash then who cares. Otherwise I concur financially poor decision to buy brand new with a depreciating asset financed.

The comical thing to me is people worried about a used car. Yet what are 95% of people driving but used cars .

Maybe. Those of us who can afford to pay for a car in cash likely have very high credit scores. If that's the case, we can take advantage of periodic VERY-low-to-zero % interest rates on long-term loans.

I'd rather have that cash doing something for me instead of going into a depreciating asset.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by madRiver
If you are paying cash then who cares. Otherwise I concur financially poor decision to buy brand new with a depreciating asset financed.

The comical thing to me is people worried about a used car. Yet what are 95% of people driving but used cars .

Maybe. Those of us who can afford to pay for a car in cash likely have very high credit scores. If that's the case, we can take advantage of periodic VERY-low-to-zero % interest rates on long-term loans.

I'd rather have that cash doing something for me instead of going into a depreciating asset.

Agreed!
If you can get free or nearly free money, you'd be a fool not to take it.
Bought the Forester with 0% financing and the '12 Accord at .9%.
There were no good financing offers on the Hybrid, so we just wrote a check for it.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I used to buy used, if the price and condition were right. And i generally keep my vehicles a while. But now with 20wt oils, i don't want a car that's been run on 20wt. I now buy new, and run what i want.

Flame suit on. I know cars are not breaking down left and right on 20wt, but i just don't want one thats been run long on 20wt.

You should see a doctor to deal with this problem.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

You do realize that both of these cars sold for a considerable discount off the sticker "price" when new?

Obviously, anybody who pays MSRP for a non-luxury/non-sports car is a fool. If we assume they got 10k off on the 300, they're still over $32,000 once we throw in tax.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by spasm3
I used to buy used, if the price and condition were right. And i generally keep my vehicles a while. But now with 20wt oils, i don't want a car that's been run on 20wt. I now buy new, and run what i want.

Flame suit on. I know cars are not breaking down left and right on 20wt, but i just don't want one thats been run long on 20wt.

You should see a doctor to deal with this problem.

Unbelievable.........

Originally Posted by fdcg27

Obviously, anybody who pays MSRP for a non-luxury/non-sports car is a fool. If we assume they got 10k off on the 300, they're still over $32,000 once we throw in tax.

I was just thinking the same thing. Someone who doesn't think up to 10G's isn't worth 2-3 years is whacko!

Idk the IS/GS350,IS-F, LS460, G37/370z C5/C6 Vette ect were all pretty great cars new, but they are just fantastic cars when bought for 1/2 their msrp or less in good condition. The key is to have a sport or GT car inspected PRIOR to purchase.

Reconditioning work order for a typical CPO MB car:

https://www.ipacket.info/4JGDA5HB6GA768616#ServiceHistory

40K service, brake flush, front pads only, rear pads only, 4 tires, alignment, repair 2 wheels, engine air filter, paintless dent removal, paint touch-up, detail, replace clips on the front bumper and CPO enrollment fee.

$4,982.

Car in question: https://www.mbofwalnutcreek.com/cer...sco-c3f32c430a0e0a6b09e3dd2913ccb376.htm

Point is: if done properly, a CPO car sees a lot more reconditioning than the typical used car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back