Who makes the best all terrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about due for a new set of tires on my Tacoma. I've gotten roughly 60k on the Cooper STT Maxx tires it has now, but they're about shot and starting to weather between the treads so I want to replace them before winter.

Heard good things about Michelin but don't care for BFG A/T's as they were on the truck when I bought it and no matter how many times I had them balanced, I never could stop the steering wheel shake they caused at certain speeds so I am open to any suggestions but those! Preferably something in 6 ply, I have 10 plys now and they're a bit too heavy and really rough riding for such a lightweight pickup.

Very subjective question. If there was a best, there wouldn't be dozens of A/T options on the market.
smile.gif

That said, I've been very happy with Nitto Terra Grapplers. It's pretty much all I've had on my 4Runners since 2005 - 3 sets of original TGs, and two sets of G2s. I've been very happy with them.

I'm sure others have similar experiences with other brands/models.

Last edited:
I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on a Ram truck and liked them so much that I recently put them on my Jeep Wrangler. Smooth, quiet highway ride and they have the snowflake symbol for winter driving, if that is important to you

I had Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 on my old Frontier. About the same weight as your Taco. I really liked them. Great traction and very quiet on the road. Price was good too, but I think they've been updated to a new model? Worth a look though if they come in your size?

It depends what you want to spend. On my Ridgeline I just replaced some Sumitomo all position tires with Kumho Road Venture AT51's for $109 each plus installation at Discount Tire. The price was right, they weren't made in China and I'm happy with them so far.

Milestar Patagonia A/T's seem to get good reviews, and are more accessible in the western US. BTW I love Montana! What a beautiful state.

AT3s on my XJ have treated me very well, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I will be buying them again for the next set of tires when that happens.

Last edited:
I've got KO2's on my Alaskan Silverado today. I'll go with a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3's next go-round.

After many years of running Cooper Discoverer M+S tires on my pickups, I decided to try an A/T tire. I got a good price on Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 tires from my Ford dealer two years ago and have nearly 30k miles on them. They are wearing excellent considering the weight of my truck and what I haul and tow. They're fairly quiet and ride/handle fantastic.

The Yokos have the mountain/snow flake symbol on them but I don't think they should. Clearly they're not genuine snow/ice tires, but they've really disappointed me over the last two winters. They do fine in a dry powder, but that's not saying much. In wet, slimy snow they're not confidence inspiring at all. My very heavy F150 seems to just float on a few inches of slushy, wet snow. Even when it's -15 and the cold snow is squeaky under the tires, they have been a bit of a let down to me. They're rather poor in mud and grass, too.

To me, there's too much downside with A/T tires so I'm going back to Discoverer M+S (or maybe the MasterCraft equivalent) before next winter. Not nearly the same tread life with the M+S but traction is so much better in snow and for hauling hay off road. It's all dependent on what you do with your truck.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
All the mines around here seem to run Wrangler Duratracs on their trucks from what I've seen. I hear good things about them.

Farm, Ranch, Oilfield buy that Duratrac here …

Alternatively, I have used Firestone Destination AT in a P up to P285/70R17 … since the OP mentioned rough ride on a smaller truck. What I ran on my Canyon 4WD … Huge improvement in ride and handling over Toyo LT …

If you are/were happy with the Coopers, why not go with them again?

Definition of "Best AT" is very dependent on how the vehicle is used. IIRC you drive a bunch of high speed highway to get to gravel roads?

I will be replacing my Cooper Discoverer ATP with another set of ATPs when they finally wear out. They have around 60K miles on them so far with a little life left.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
After many years of running Cooper Discoverer M+S tires on my pickups, I decided to try an A/T tire. I got a good price on Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 tires from my Ford dealer two years ago and have nearly 30k miles on them. They are wearing excellent considering the weight of my truck and what I haul and tow. They're fairly quiet and ride/handle fantastic.

The Yokos have the mountain/snow flake symbol on them but I don't think they should. Clearly they're not genuine snow/ice tires, but they've really disappointed me over the last two winters. They do fine in a dry powder, but that's not saying much. In wet, slimy snow they're not confidence inspiring at all. My very heavy F150 seems to just float on a few inches of slushy, wet snow. Even when it's -15 and the cold snow is squeaky under the tires, they have been a bit of a let down to me. They're rather poor in mud and grass, too.

To me, there's too much downside with A/T tires so I'm going back to Discoverer M+S (or maybe the MasterCraft equivalent) before next winter. Not nearly the same tread life with the M+S but traction is so much better in snow and for hauling hay off road. It's all dependent on what you do with your truck.

Ditto on the Geos-the set on the XJ refuses to wear out, they're up to around 30K now! Really want some 31s (which the lift would let it handle), but I can't see throwing/giving away perfectly good rubber. The F-450/Super Duty also has them on the rear & they do fine in snow (but 8-9000 pounds & an Eaton TrueTrac locker isn't hurting either). You can't go wrong with Bridgestone Dueler Revos either, although I've only had Revo 1s & 2s, no 3s yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back